Favourite Crossover

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, Mar 1, 2007.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seeing as Civil War's just finished.....

What was your favourite comic crossover ? Be it limited series, mega event or whatever ....

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Inferno. 'Nuff said.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Inferno's up there for me, but I have to give it to X-Tinction Agenda. I <3 Cameron Hodge pre-Phalanx crap.

4. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

The Original Crisis, or Kingdom Come

5. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The Maxx meeting Savage Dragon from Savage Dragon #28 was always a favorite of mine. Most of the Maxx crossovers or cameos from other books were downright awful and full of contradictions, but Larson seemed to get the Maxx just as well as Kieth and Messner-Loebs did. The Dragon's Outback was filled with the kind of imagery and symbolism you'd expect from an Outback and the crossover actually made sense as part of the overall plot and wasn't just gratuitous fanwank. And it was funny.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only Maxx appearance outside of the official title which fits into the main continuity (most of the Maxx's appearances in other books are difficult to impossible to reconcile with the main book).

As far as mega ZOMG crossovers go, I had a fun time reading JLA/Avengers. It was a sight better than the last big Marvel/DC crossover (the one from the 90's which was treated like a cruddy "tournament") and was packed with lots of great in-jokes and the characters just interacting with one-another was cool.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Age Of Apocalypse

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    JLA vs Avengers

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Probably JLA/Avengers. It was such a blast seeing the Justice League and the Avengers teaming up. Add glorious art by George Perez, a great storyline by Kurt Busiek, and cameos by every single member of both teams, and it all equelas one of the awesomest crossovers ever.

Honorable mentions go to Crisis on Infinite Earths (the original is still one of the bests), Inferno (limited to the core X-Men, X-Factor, and New Mutants parts), and the Age of Apocalypse (still one of my favorite comic storylines ever, although some parts were vastly inferior to others), and Operation Galactic Storm (it got a bit long, but it had some great moments. And anything that involves Quasar is great in my book).

X-Tinction Agenda was pretty good, but hampered by some really terrible artwork (pretty much everything that wasn't an issue of Uncanny). Infinite Crisis was also fun, but not in the leagues of the other ones I've named.

Just for the heck of it, if I were to pick the worst ones I'd have to go with Operation Zero Tolerance (decent idea with abysmal execution and a horrible ending), Zero Hour (crap from start to finish), and Bloodlines (an entire event dedicated to launching the next generation of really, really 90s DC heroes, only one of whom ever amounted to anything).

9. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Well, so long as we're mentioning ones we hated...

Altered Image left me sick. It was Image's attempt at a "Justice League", though half the characters that appeared in that crossover are no longer being published by Image. The story was dreadful, characterizations were way off (the Maxx was made the "Yoda" character for crying out loud) and the whole thing was just...lame. At times it recognized how silly it was and tried to be funny, but it still wasn't worth a chuckle...save for seeing Majestic in Withblade's metallic G-string. That was worth a chuckle.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Intracompany - Crisis on Infinite Earths. Started the whole idea of TEH MASSIVE EVENT!1!!1!1! and is one of the few to have mostly gotten it right. Important characters actually died (good luck naming a recent crossover where the body count wasn't in the C and D lists), the story had ramifications, the changes stuck (mostly) and it gave DC a long-needed continuity enema. Honourable mention to Final Night.

Intercompany - Amalgam. Just a really fun concept and a blast to read. The lead-in Marvel vs DC minis weren't that great, but the Amalgam product was worth it. Honourable mention to the first two Batman/Predator crossovers.

Just for the hell of it, worst...

Intracompany - Civil War; I haven't read the actual issues, but all of the synopses and spoilers have convinced me it's garbage...to the point I'm staying away from Marvel 616 until it's all retconned out. Dishonourable mention to Onslaught.

Intercompany - Image's side of Batman/Spawn (punk!). Dishonourable mention to Superman/Fantastic Four; even an appearance by the Cyborg Superman couldn't save it. Second dishonourable mention to DW's first TF/GI Joe crossover, for having the least coherent art I've ever seen.

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think I would also have to go with Inferno because it brought X-Men and X-Factor back into contact even though it would be the beginning of the end for the original X-Factor run. Buzz trivia: X-Factor was the first Super Hero comic I ever collected.

I liked all the early mutant crossovers even though Fall of the Mutants had zero actual crossing over and the New Mutants story sucked. Mutant Massacre was really good too.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Secret Wars was badass!

13. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

X-tinction Agenda for me also, great art for the time, and a fun storyline. If Annihlation could be considered a crossover it'd be my favorite.

Worst?
    House of M
    Civil War

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

3 words, Punisher meets Archie.

And for a real answer, I'll have to get back to you.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Damn, I completely forgot about House of M. Yeah, that was definitely the worst crossover I've ever read. Two issues of action, and six issues in-between of people standing around talking. Total dreck.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My faves were:

i) Annihilation

The pacing, the tone was excellent! Conflict on a cosmic scale with such high stakes. Really made Civic War conflict look so childish. One of the better series I've read in years...but then again, I'm a fan of the cosmic genre.

ii) The original Infinity Gauntlet

Alot of folks dying but the ending was kinda blah...kind of anti-climax with regards to how Adam Warlock won.

iii) JLA/Avevengers

Yeah, I agree it was a very fun read. Would have been rated better if Thor had beaten Supes...and I'm Supes fan but c'mon...Supes is weak against magic!

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    TF vs GI joe. i always look fwd to these.

18. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

JLA/Avengers
    Punisher meets Archie
    Secret Wars
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Crisis on Infinite Earths

19. JD

JD Well-Known Member

DW's TF/GI joe

20. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As for me....

Well the Mutant Massacre is an early fave - 2 seperate teams with the events happening round them but no running into each other. As it happens X-Factor was the first comic I ever collected too. Mutant Massacre is what got me into X-Men proper as a regular reader.

Beyond that the X- Crossovers get boring till Age of Apocalypse, but I have a soft spot for Operation Zero Tolerance.

There's several limited series I like - X-Men/Alpha Flight (the original Claremont/Smith one) and X-Men/Fantastic Four stand out, and the Spiderman/Wolverine one shot is very good ("But they've got guns and knives and guns and chains and guns and guns")