Favourite comic-book performance of a black actor in a white role

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jun 22, 2014.

?

Favourite comic-book performance of a black actor in a white role

1. Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent (Batman 1989)

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin (Daredevil)

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Idris Elba as Heimdall (Thor)

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Kerry Washington as Alicia Masters (Fantastic Four 2005)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sam L Jackson as Nick Fury (MCU)

31 vote(s)
    59.6%
  6. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White (Man of Steel)

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The casting of Michael Jordan in the FANTASTIC 4 reboot as the Human Torch is a bit odd, but not unusual. It's been done before, in other comic book films (in fact Alicia Masters was white in the comics but played by Kerry Washington in the films).

Which would you say was your favourite comic-book performance of a black actor in (what would usually be) a white role?

Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent - that was weird, it felt more like star power than talent for the role. But Williams was contracted to become Two-Face in a future sequel; it never came to pass though.

Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin - even though most of that film was mediocre, Duncan stands out above the rest (pun intended) as the menacing crime boss and antagonist.

Idris Elba as Heimdall - despite Heimdall being Sif's sister in the comics and myth, the sentinel of Asgard is played to absolute perfection by freaking Luther.

Kerry Washington as Alicia Masters - she was nice. There wasn't too much to her character though.

Sam L Jackson as Nick Fury - I'm not sure if this should be in the poll, because Fury was black in the Marvel Ultimates. But I'm putting him in for the sake of being comprehensive (in any case he was great, and did better than the Knight Rider of Baywatch did in the role).

Laurence Fishburne as Perry White - he was solid in the role as the Daily Planet editor. He didn't do too much, but then White doesn't get a lot to do in the Superman saga.

For me it's a tie between Fishburne, Duncan and Elba. But I'd have to go with Elba. Even though there were people protesting his casting, he shut them up with a wonderful, supporting yet eye-catching performance as the Bifrost guard who watches over Asgard and Asgardians.

2. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

should the color of there skin really matter?

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury. Idris Elba as Heimdall is a close second, and in third is Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.

The rest are really forgettable, especially Billy Dee...man I would have loved to see him do Two-Face.

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

:lolol  Perry White from Man of Steel! Wow! Such a personality! lol is THAT who he was!? I was wondering why he was even shown in the final city destruction sequence of the movie.

Anyhow, Michael Clarke Duncan was a good Kingpin from memory and Idris Elba is awesome in anything he's in. Probably Idris Elba for me. Samuel L. Jackson is good, but I only really liked him in Winter Soldier as Nick Fury.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes it should, can and does.

But let me guess... that'll be flippantly & ignorantly labeled as being "racist", yeah? :rolleyes2 

6. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Jackson and Elba.

7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OP forgot Jaime Foxx as Electro.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Idris Elba.....That VOICE!!!..... of course it helps that I love the Thor movies, but Elba is rocking in the 2nd Thor... just as he did in Pacific Rim... and the other movies I've seen of his too.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Michael duncan clark's kingpin

Now let's start a white-washed thread and see how well that goes over...

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Idris Elba. As much as I like Sam Jackson's Fury, Heimdall was a bad ass. When we saw the first Thor, that scene where he breaks out of the ice, everyone fucking cheered.

11. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Nick Fury and Heimdall. The rest were alright but I have not seen Daredevil so can't say for that.

12. pandaderek

pandaderek Well-Known Member

A lot of those roles are not much to admire because they're not lead roles...can't really admire someone in the film for, at most, 15mins; there's not enough input to declare a good performance...it's more of a token character than an actual role. Whereas, you can flip the title and name numerous white actors playing colored roles because, otherwise, these movies wouldn't get funding if a colored actor got a lead role that was dominantly a white role.

Ask yourself, "would you invest your money in Ben Afleck or Idris Elba to play in the next batman movies, even if Idris is a better actor?"...you would have to consider the people who would pay to watch it, and most investors come to the conclusion that the world is still very much racist and would be safer to invest in the white actor.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I voted for Samuel L. Jackson, but I have to wonder if that should count. Technically, he is playing the Ultimate version of the character which is based on his likeness. So the only race change was actually in the source material. Idris Elba as Heimdal is a close second because his character doesn't have a lot to do in the Thor movies, but he still leaves an impact on you. He is badass, stoic, mysterious, and has a cool voice.

14. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Even though I voted for Sam Jackson, I don't think he should count seeing how Marvel's Ultimate Nick Fury was modeled after him with his express permission to use his likeness and that's the version of that character he's playing because of that deal.

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    This. He's my favorite from the poll so I voted for him but considering Marvel has a version of the character specifically based off his likeness I think it's a stretch to include him.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Fishburne was great. Easily my favorite performance from this list.

Jackson is an easy answer except he is playing the Ultimate Fury anyway. He's a drastically different character with a very different background than the "white" 616 character. Jackson mostly just plays Jackson anyway. Mark Millar pretty much wrote Ultimate Fury as Jackson, so he didn't really need to flex his acting muscles much.

I would have loved to see Billy Dee play Two-Face. I think Williams (and us) got robbed.

Idris Elba is probably my favorite actor on this list, mostly for Luther, but the Thor movies left me kind of flat in general.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk, i honestly don't care what color a character is.

as long as they give a good performance, and not annoying, or anything. as long as i am entertained, i don't really care.

18. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

lol if Electro were on this list, I'd pick him. Even if I didn't really like him, he's easy to laugh at and is very memorable.

"You don't remember my name!?"
    "You're so selfish!"
    "Why hello Spider-Man! You came to my birthday party! But of course you would! We're friends, aren't we!?" :lol 

lol and the way his powers fixed his teeth! Brilliant!

19. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Electro. For me, Foxx sold the nerdy black guy role pretty good.

20. ABH1979

ABH1979 Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Fishburne.

I wanted to vote for Elba, but he deserved a better, meatier role.