Favourite Combiner Team

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ljjnico, Feb 6, 2007.

1. ljjnico

ljjnico Future Autobot Leader

Who was your favourite G1 combiner team?

My favourites were the Aerialbots, Protectobots and the Constructicons.

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Gotta go Constructicons. They were the originals, they had a unified color scheme, and all the vehicles were in scale with each other. Their combined mode hasn't aged so well, but for its time it was pretty decent.

Least favorite: Seacons. Bleah.

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

RID Build Team & Rail Racer

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. Plus, forgetting the size represented as toys and in the cartoons, I still like to think they would have been the biggest combiner of them all considering how big construction vehicles are (and can be).

The Predacons were cool too, but I don't like how everyone thinks Predaking is the biggest & best thing ever just because his toy was larger than the rest. In my own little make believe world where TF's don't mass/size shift, Predaking technically shouldn't be that much bigger than someone like Skyfire since there's no way a bunch of lions & rhinos & eagles are bigger in alt form than, say, the Dinobots.

The Technobots were a decent idea only because they all looked like Cybertron designs (ala War Within), so they didn't necessarily have Earth sized alt modes to conform to.

I liked the idea of the Aerialbots, Stunticons & Comabticons as teams, but not as combiners. Especially since I never understood why the Combaticons had a mini space shuttle as a member or why the Aerialbots main body bot was an airliner while the rest were military jets.

Protectabots were lame all around. A motorbike attaching to a fire truck? Okay. The Seacons & Terrorcons were just ridiculous imo, and an obvious reach on Hasbro's part to make new combiners for the sole sake of doing so.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Breastforce, LioKaiser!!! I love the combining sequence too with their faces it was SO CUTE!

6. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

But the dinobots aren’t the size of real dino’s nor are ravage, laserbeak and ratbat the size of real animals, it just seemed to me as TF beast modes look far from realistic they aren’t really any kind of disguise so the size thing doesn’t come in to play, beast modes strike me more as more effective modes for the TF function rather than disguise like most of them. I am no predacon fan, far from it they are the most over hyped TF in history but I would say they are meant to be pretty big maybe not huge but predaking should at least stand shoulder to shoulder with the other combiners.

Technobots, terrorcons and seacons would be at the top of my list for teams, they seem to work together well and their alt modes don’t look so stupid together as some. Of course the Constructicons are right up there, unified colors and better proportions than a lot of the G1 combiner put them right up on that list.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As far as toys go I gotta go with RID rail racer. I would love to get a classics reissue of them, they are an excellent combiner and the individual robot mode are very nice.

Character wise it's a draw between the combaticons and the constructicons (based on the G1 cartoon). Both teams had interesting back stories respectively bad guys gone renegade & good guys gone bad.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Terrorcons, Tripredacus, Rail Racer

9. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Protectabots and Terrorcons.

10. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I got to say is a toss up between gen 1 Devestator and Predaking

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Technobots. Loved their designs as a kid, despite the fact I only had Scattershot. Followed closely by the Protectobots, never had any of their toys (even now) but I just loved the post movie combiners for the simple fact I rarely saw the episodes they were on. Devastator was a joke except for his inital appearance in the cartoon and when he attacked Autobot city.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yeah I get that - what I meant was that, even in typical "Transformer size", the Predacons in alt form were still much smaller than the Dinotbots. So even combined, forgetting the lame mass/size shifting quirk, Predaking should technically be smaller than Devastator, not bigger. That's all.

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Constructicons!

And they're getting a Classics makeover!

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Pfft... if by makeover you mean dwindled down from 6 to 5 characters with only 3 unique molds between them and different names thanks to just being a repaint of a leftover line. Definitely not the "update" I had hoped for.

:) 

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Favorite combiner toys: Constructicons. Lots of play value because they were construction vehicles. And I loved the neon green color scheme. Sadly, Devastator didn't stand up or hold together well over time. And running a very close second is the Stunticons--they combined my love of Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars with Transformers. Loved them. Throw Superion into the mix and these three sets made for hours upon hours of happy fun playtime.

Best themed combiners: Combaticons. It was like having mini GI Joe vehicles that changed into robots. So cool. And even cooler that it formed a badass-looking giant robot.

Best overall looks: Predaking. Not just his sheer size as a toy (and in both the comics and TV show), but he's just so freaking cool looking. The scale is great too, and his arms aren't stumpy like some of the other combiners.

Worst: Abominus was abominable indeed. Piranacon was one of the dumbest names Hasbro's team ever came up with, and I didn't care for the Seacons at all except for Overbite (I like shark-bots. go fig).

Best combiner using middle fingers as weapons: Rail Racer

Best combiner I probably will never have the chance to own: Road Caesar

16. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

constructicons,rail racers,arielbots

17. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    Constructicons, they were the original gestalt team.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Rail Racer is definitely the best looking combiner we've ever had. Three great individual robots and one fantastic gestalt.

From G1, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Computron. I only ever had Afterburner, but he's always been one of my favorite G1 toys. I'd love to get a complete set of Technobots someday.

I also have a certain fondness for RiD Landfill. I consider him to be severely underrated.

On a related note, I love how the two combiners in RiD were updates of the original two Diaclone combiners. Construction vehicles and trains.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It’s Menasor for me. It’s just to bad he’s so short.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Technobots all the way. I loved how Computron had a brain (even if he over used it). At the time I was also reading Akira and liked how much Afterburner looked like Kaneda's bike. As a young'n I got all but Strafe in the toys and a year ago I finaly got him to complete the set. Goes off to hug complete Computron.