Favourite Animaniacs?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 11, 2012.

?

Favourite Animaniacs?

1. Yakko, Wakko and Dot Warner

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Goodfeathers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pinky and the Brain

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  4. Slappy Squirrel

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Mindy and Buttons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Rita and Runt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The Pinky and the Brain.

Remember watching ANIMANIACS long back. Thought I’d take another look at it. Well... it’s not that it’s bad, much of the show is still cleanly witty and sparky, but it does show its age. It was a 1990s show, when there was a pop culture boom and you could rip off/parody just about any property/subject and get away with it. Grand times, but when I look at the show I see the Goodfeathers as GOODFELLAS clones, and the Warners as Mickey/Minnie Mouse lookalikes with Looney Tune mentalities; that pop culture/ripoff element is unavoidable, unfortunately.

Besides, my sense of humour has changed over the years. As a kid, I laughed at the first episode where the Warners drove Dr Scratchansniff out of his mind; today, I see it as a wanton act of utter cruelty. Jerry Mouse tormenting Tom Cat who wants to eat him, Bugs Bunny harassing Elmer Fudd who’s hunting him, fine - tormenting a shrink who wants to cure you, not so much. The same goes for the poor doggy Buttons who always gets blamed for the havoc his bratty ward Mindy causes.

I’ve digressed a bit... The best part of the show was without a doubt Pinky and the Brain (the fact they got a spinoff show is proof enough of that). Every night, they initiate a meticulous plan to take over the world, and every time their plan falls apart either by their own efforts or by an outside factor. But the best part is the duo themselves, they represent the best of the Odd Couple element (two diametrically opposite characters who make a great team). The Brain is a genius and Pinky is insane, but the two are the best of friends and will make sacrifices for each other, as these clips from an Emmy-winning episode show:
    Pinky and the Brain: Christmas Wish - YouTube
    Pinky & The Brain Christmas Clip - YouTube

What more can I say, except: NARF!

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely Pinky and the Brain. It was very creative and, even though most episodes had the same basic plot (Brain tries to take over the world), they always managed to do something new with the characters and change up the situations so that it never got repetitive. The segments with the Warner siblings were my second-favorite, as they had a great variety of plots and were usually always entertaining. The Slappy Squirrel segments and Good Idea/Bad Idea had their moments as well, but weren't as consistent, IMO.

Beyond those...I didn't really like any of the other Animaniacs segments, TBH. The Chicken Boo and Mindy/Buttons episodes all have basically the exact same plot and story every single time, with just a minor tweak to the setting. Goodfeathers had a bit more variety to the plots, though not to the level of Pinky and the Brain, but was still fairly repetitive; I also found the characters incredibly annoying. The Rita/Runt segments were well-made, but I hate musicals and just couldn't enjoy them. Most of the other recurring sketches (Minerva Mink, Katie KaBoom, Hip Hippos, etc) were like bad SNL skits, with just one joke that they dragged out for several minutes.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinky and the Brain and the Warner siblings.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Warner Sibs >= Pinky and the Brain > Slappy/Goodfeathers...>else

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Pinky and the Brain and then Yakko, Wakko and Dot Warner.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I was legitimately shocked at how unfunny most of the show was when I brought the first DVD set, probably the worst case ever of something not being as good as I remember at the time.

Having said that, Pinky and the Brain and allot of the the Warner Brothers stuff is still gold. I sort of still like Chicken Boo as a pice of absurdist humor as well.

7. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

pinky and the brain

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Pinky and the Brain.

Their's a reason for why they have their own show.