Favorite X-Men Story by Decade

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, Nov 17, 2005.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Choose one story from each of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 2000s.

Skip any decade you don't know enough about.

Can be issue, storyline or crossover - along as the X-Men play a major role in the crossover. Any X-Men book you like.

2. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

60's: Never really got into it. This day in age it has been re-writen atleast 13 times since last month!

70's: All New, All Different X-Men.

80's: X-Factor's first year.

90's: Onslaught and Zero Tolerance (Wolverine and X-Men arcs)

2000: MEGO Secret Wars (TTT X-Men crashed it)

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    60s: The second Sentinel storyline, the one done by Roy Thomas and Neal Adams. Easily the best Silver Age X-Men story (X-Men was not a very good comic back in the 60s, by and large).

70s: Tough one, since the X-Men were absent for most of the 70s. Probably either the first Shi'ar storyline or Proteus.

80s: Another toughie, too many great options. Dark Phoenix, Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, the Asgard storyline, the start of Excalibur... I can't pick just one. The 80s were definitely the X-Men's best decade.

90s: Age of Apocalypse, no contest. One of the best comic storylines ever written. Brilliant from beginning to end. Just pretend the recent sequel thing never happened.

00s: Decimation. I know it's just started, but so far it's turning out really well. It's the kick in the pants the X-Books needed to get some sort of direction again.

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

60's - no idea, cant afford to read any of these.

70's - hellfire club - dark phoenix (131-136 I think). What was up with claremont and byrne at this time? Proteus, hellfire, dark phoenix, then days future past all back to back. Was there any better run in marvel comics than this?

80's - X Factor relaunch, first 25 issues leading up to Apocalypse battle and Archangel.

90's - X-Tinction Agenda (not the best story, but got me into mainstream comics) Looking back nearly everyone hates liefeld, but I really dug his art on New Mutants back in the early 90's. Between him, Jim Lee, and Whilce Portacio, the X-books had awesome artists that really seemed to bring a cool new style to comic art at the time.

2000 on - Grant Morrison's run, specifically the last 10 issues or so.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

60's. Living Pharoh/Havok

70's. "Psy-War". Origin of Prof. X and Shadowking.

80's. No way to pick just one storyline. Fall of the Mutants/Mutant Massacre, Inferno (SINISTER!), Early X-Factor (Apocalypse!), New Mutants, so much goodness. The 80's was the best era for the X-Books.

90's. X-Tinction Agenda. Totally my favorite crossover EVER!. Cameron Hodge was one awesome villain, well..before that "Phalanx" bullshit. The liberating of Genosha. Awesome story. AoA comes in very close second.

00's. Nothing's really stood out for me so far this decade. Maybe the 1st Arc of Astonishing.

6. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Hmm I think for me I can really only do picks from 90's and 00's

90's: My picks for favorites would be Fatal Attractions, just for the shit that went down. X-Cutioner's Song was pretty cool, only really remeber the end of it, but I really thought it was kinda cool seeing Apocalypse do something "good" I guess. Also agree with X-Tinction Agenda for Cameron Hodge, who was cooler during that story than when he was with the Phalanx. And I gotta also mention Age Of Apocalypse, that was just some cool stuff.

00's-Astonishing for sure. First time i've really been consistent with a X-book in awhile. I will say I did enjoy Here Comes Tomorrow and the arc before that one(before I found out how Magneto was really him but was Xorn's brother and all that shite)

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Actually I think the 90s took the cake. Fatal Attractions, AoA and X-cutioners song were great reads. Also Onslaught affected the entire Marvel U.

For anything previous, I'll take Days of Futue Past.

For anything in the 00s, I'd say House of M is winning. Astonishing's first arc has some strong points as does Morrison's run.

8. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went and checked this to be sure - cos I thought it was in the 70s when I came up with the idea for the thread - but the entire Dark Phoenix story has 1980 cover date on it !

Mine:
    I don't know enough about the 60s stuff.

70s: Project Amagedon (c98-101)
    80s: From the Ashes
    90s: probably AoA but I'm rather fond of Operation Zero Tollerance.
    2000s: E for Extinction

9. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

60's uncanny 58-64 sentinels attack,first havok,etc

70's proteus saga hands down

80's I have to say days of future past over dark phoenix because it was the first of the dark future storylines in comics at the time. There were other great stories like from the ashes, 1st brood attack,etc

90's Here's where I first started getting into x-men, I would say age of apocalyspe was the best. I like the jim lee issues of x-tinction agenda but I couldn't bear the other art in the other titles(especially x-factor!!) so it made the story worse to me.

Present Astonishing x-men without a doubt, It feels like the x-men of the 80's again with a modern feel.

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

60s - The entire Adams/Thomas run
    70s - Early Claremont is all gold
    80s - Mutant Massacre
    90s - X-Tinction Agenda