Favorite Transformers voices.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, May 22, 2007.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    What is your favorite Transformer voice from any of the series? The voice specificaly, not just the voice actor/actress.

My favs are Optimus Prime's (Peter Cullen) voice, because it, above all, established his leader authority.

Next, I'd say BW Inferno, (Jim Byrnes) not just because he was a total spaz, but because he could go from a calmmer, more subtle voice, to a spazmatic scream!

Also, BW/M Megatron (David Kaye), because of his intelligent, yet imposing tone he added to his voice.

Then, BM Jetstorm (Unfortunatly, I can't remember his name, but he did Cyb Jetfire and Jolt), much for the same reason as Jim Brynes, he has this calm, smooth voice of a bar-charmer, to an aggressive, almost scary psycho-path snarl!

And last, but certainly not least, Rampage (Campbell Lane), he brought this sick, and twisted soul of a born killer to it's peak (combined with the dialoge), a voice (and character) you would never see on a kids show today.

I would have put Soundwave, but since his voice was so lifeless and heavily modified (though that is SW's character) to be compared to actors like these.

I'm sure you people have some you'd like to add, but these are my personal favorites.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    David Kaye.

IMO, he was better fit for Megatron than Frank Welker.

3. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Let's get G1 Soundwave and Starscream out of the way. I think most kids from the '80s are gonna like them.

Rattrap, Waspinator, Primal, and BW Megatron. What can I say? Just, really really good characterization. David Kaye always put me in mind of molten evil tar being poured out of a drum. I would have loved to see him and Tony Jay go head to head in a cultured-gangster-off.

4. Maboroshi

Maboroshi Optimal

Optimus Prime - Of Course! Respectable and bold yet warm and friendly. And its freakin Optimus Prime.
    Beast Wars Megatron - Deep and calm, intelligent and powerful. Dark.
    Soundwave - Alive, yet cold, calm, and heartless. Emotionless and technological.
    Beast Wars Rampage - Really deep and incredibly creepy without even needing to yell.
    Starscream - Very unique.

I'm gunna love Barricade in the movie. Goliath from Gargoyles? Hell yes! Love that voice!
    Probably movie Megatron too. Love Hugo Weaving's voice.

Just thought I'd add in the end Frank Welker in general. Lots of respect for him having such a versatile voice. Liked his Megatron, it just isnt one of my favorites. Soundwave is up there, though. Just in general he is such an amazing voice actor that he was worth a special mention!

5. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

Peter Cullen - of the (sadly) horror that was the G1 TV show (IMO), Cullen was one of the few that I think consistently did a good job. His voice was/is perfect for the character, too-a little gruff, strong, kind, and all-around a great match for Prime.

Frank Welker[/U ] - First and foremost, I just have a lot of respect for the guy because he has done SO much in terms of voice acting. I also like how his voice for Megatron is so different from what you'd expect for a major villian (from my experience, anyways). It's so unique, and I love it. I happen to wish he was doing Megatron's voice for the movie, but life goes on.

Gary Chalk - He's done an excellent job as Prime. His voice is well-suited for it, I think. Even though he often ends up with lousy (and/or corny) lines due to bad dubbing, I think he still pulls them off quite well. That in of itself is an impressive feat.

David Kaye-Don't get me wrong-I love Frank Welker, but David Kaye is the perfect Megatron voice. Arrogant, merciless, and just a little bit crazy, David Kaye's voice is a perfect match for Megatron's character. In the entire A/E/C series (and BW), Megatron is usually my favorite character, thanks in no small part to his voice.

...wow, that really turned out to be quite an essay.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I have alot for G1. But for the more recent series, I like Gary Chalk for Primal, Kaye for Megs. Scott McNiel(sp?) for all his voices. Energon Rodimus and Cybertron Red Alert, which I think for the Dobsons. I also liked the guy who did RID Prime.

7. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Cullen or Chalk as Prime
    Welker as Megs and Soundwave
    Chris Latta as Screamer
    Leonard Nimoy as Galvatron
    Eric Idle as Wreck-Gar
    Scott McNeil as Dino-Bot

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I would have put Frank for all his voices, (Megatron, Galvatron, Soundwave, Rumble/Frenzy, Ravage, Lazerbeak, Ratbat etc...) but I just wanted a list of five.

I should have put Barricade (Keith David) but the movie is not out yet, so it wouldn't be fair.;) 

9. rerunwatson99

rerunwatson99 Well-Known Member

G1 IRONHIDE....come on...that took some talent to put that redneck feel in a robot!
    UNICRON....overwhelming!
    BW BLACK ARACHNIA...that was a bad ass chick...and scandalist!
    G1 JAZZ, BLASTER...the hip hop era of the 80's right?
    G1 BEACHCOMBER...the hippie...nice!
    G1 POWERGLIDE..."AND AWAAAAY WE GO!"

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Chris Latta-Starscream's voice really made the character. G1 was the best and Starscream's voice really showed it.
    Frank Welker-Again another unique voice that really fit the character very well
    Orson Wells-Unicron's voice is timeless and powerful. A shame that this was Orson's last performance.

11. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'm going to forgo the G1 guys because there are SO many greats, and it seems most posters are heading towards more recent stuff anyway.

1) Rhinox
    2) Gary's prime
    3) Kaye's Megatron

I believe better voice acting could've made the unicron trilogy toons much much better (Though I admit they had the challenge of dubbing)

12. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Soundwave.

13. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee inveterate lurker

I liked all the voices in Beast Wars.
    Even tho it was mostly the same group of actors, Beast Machines' acting and characterisations stunk in comparison for me -- so abotu the only one I can say anything about is Tankorr.

From G1, Jazz, Starscream, Prime, Soundwave.

from RiD, the only one that sticks out is X-Brawn. (and the episode where he went swimming.)

I haven't seen any of the Cartoon Network serieses.

14. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

I'd go with BW Primal, Megatron, Inferno, Quickstrike, Tarantulas, Rattrap, Dinobot, Rhinox, Rampage, and Depthcharge.

For BM, of course the Maximals minus Nightscream and Botanica. His voice was annoying. For the Vehicons, it's Thrust, Obsidian, Jetstorm, Strika and Megs.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Scott MacNeil. Very versitile. Without (much) exageration a third of the BW characters were him.

Frank Welker. Another master of vocal disguise.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

While I'm not wild about the character (dodges sticks, stones, and other large heavy objects), I think Peter Cullen's G1 Prime is OMFG amazing. The voice is just what it needs to be for G1 Optimus.

I'm also a big fan of Robert Stack as Ultra Magnus, and whoever did Springer and Rodimus Prime in Season 3... I think they captured the characters well. Rodimus had that "Look, I KNOW I'm not Prime, but I'm doing the best I can do, dammit!" kinda effect to his voice... the way he was trying to overcome his self-doubt came out in the voice, I thought. And Springer? He's a wiseass, and half the time has some sort of smirk on his face... and you can hear it in the voice.

David Kaye as BW/BM Megatron. Wow. Nuff said. You all know why.

Actually, the entire cast for BW was rather good and fit all the characters, though I have to admit, some of them kinda made my ears hurt. Oh. Cept Terrorsaur. Didn't like him much... he sounded like he was trying too hard to be G1 Starscream.

Those are my favorites, though... there were some good ones in A/E/C and RiD, but none of them really stood out as spectacular in my mind.

And I didn't like G1 Starscream's voice. :eek

17. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    G1 Jazz by Scatman Crothers

18. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Unicron is probably my favorite, what an awesome voice he got! But other G1 voices like Megatron, Prime, Starscream and Soundwave are among my favorite too.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - G1 - Megatron, movie Galvatron (Leonard Nimoy), movie Unicron (Orson Welles)
    - Beast Wars - Megatron, Optimus Primal, Rampage, Dinobot, Blackarachnia.
    - Beast Machines - Jetstorm, Obsidian, Strika.
    - Armada - Megatron

Neither did I. Of course, other than those listed above, I thought most of the G1 voices were really annoying.

20. megagene

megagene Well-Known Member

G1:
    Megatron
    Optimus Prime
    Prowl
    Starscream
    Jazz
    Galvatron (Nimoy)
    Cyclonus
    Soundwave