Favorite Transformers Dichotomy?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Throughout Transformers, the face of good and evil as symbolized by typical alternate mode has constantly changed.

It all started with cars and trucks being the heroes with jets, handheld & military equipment being the villains.

Then the ranks fill out, the good guys get jets and bad guys get cars. We also see more animals in the Insecticons and Dinobots.

Something starts happening though, and Decepticons get Terrorcons and Predacons and Trypticon. I think the third year/season starts the departure from Earth or futuristic jets or even military equipment towards beasts.

The Targetmasters bring back the car/jet dichotomy, but the Headmasters blow it up with vehicles vs animals. Once again the Decepticon base former has an animal form. The next combiner, Piranacon, consists of sea animals despite being a "Targetmaster". The Clones show the emerging dichotomy of machine vs beast, with Autobot clones being a jet and car and Decepticons a falcon and puma.

Powermasters retain cars vs planes. But Double Dealer has a Decepticon and Autobot mode, the former being a bird and the latter a missile truck; machine vs beast. Autobot Pretenders save beasts like Catilla have humanoid/warrior shells while the Decepticons have animalistic and monstrous forms. The new Autobot and Decepticon tapes are a tank & jet and a bird & gorilla respectively, and the Decepticons get an animal/monster pretender team.

Beast Wars generally has the good guys as mammals, fish and birds, and bad dudes as arthropods (insects, arachnids, crustaceans) and reptiles (pterosaurs, dinosaurs).

Beast Wars II changes it up a bit starting out with beasty good guys and machine baddies. Neo more or less follows the original Beast Wars model.

Beast Machines... well, the bad guys are mechanical lifeless drones and the good guys are technorganic beasts.

RID returns a bit to what we saw by the later terms of G1, good guy autos and bad guy beasts.

Armada and Energon IIRC followed the original premise of military vehicles vs cars and trucks, for the most part. Cybertron just... everyone is anything at some point.

Animated too had Autobots as, well automobiles and civilian vehicles and Decepticons as mostly war machines. Prime too seems to be in this direction.

What's the best yin/yang opposite, or rather your favorite? Cars vs jets, vehicles vs animals, animals vs vehicles, animals vs animals, et cetera?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Knockout, Breakdown and the Vehicons would like to have a word with you.

I think they both should vary a lot, with jets and cars on both sides, both using Military vehicles AND normal vehicles [of course, Decepticons would use military vehicles a lot more], Autobots with more cars and tanks than jets, Decepticons the other way around.

I always think the Autobots choose cars more often because cars can acess more areas: If an innocent human gets lost on a giant cave, you wouldn't be able to fly inside a cave with a FREAKING JET! but with a car? Maybe.

Or in a city filled with buildings [Like Iacon], fly as a jet there would be absolutely hellish with the sheer amount of buildings, but cars? Easy, easy.

Cars are better for pursue, escape and rescue as they are suitable for any [or rather, MOST] areas.

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Ah bumcakes, I forgot about those guys. Well with the vehicons there are jet types too :D  lol

4. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Regardless of their faction, I find Jets/spaceships and robotic beasts to be [visually] more interesting. So I'm very much at odds when it comes to one or the other.

Variety in a line shouldn't be understated, regardless of themes and motifs. In saying that, I'd like to see more Hatchets.

In regards to fiction, and the question at hand; I don't have too much of a preference, as long as it isn't cars Vs cars, that puts me to sleep.

5. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    Animal vs animal is my favorite, but I mainly like variety.

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    My favorite dichotomy in transformers would have to be with a single character instead of a single group: Punch/Counterpunch. His personality inversion and own hidden neurosies made for an amazingly deep character. One individual being on both sides of the dichotomy made for great conflicts, internal and external.

7. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    That is not a dichotomy. That is a conflict.

8. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    I was just answering his question.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Er, when exactly? I realize his character has the potential to do the things you're saying, but in both Headmasters and his scant Rebirth appearance, all he really got the chance to do was act silly

10. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 DJD

Ebay:
    i do like the premise of animals against machines like in beast wars II it just seemed more interesting to watch military grade vehicles go against beast formers

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Animals vs animals for me, I always like that set up. No alt mode bombs or anything, just pure strength and smarts in battle.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoy the fact that the prominent Decepticon characters tend to be larger and more powerful than the Autobots, and thus choose larger and more powerful vehicle modes. They are also less interested in fitting in with human society and so on.

I also enjoy the Microchange legacy...that the really small and unorthodox robots tend to be Decepticons. Overall I like that the Decepticons are often "designed" for certain roles, such as a dedicated espionage bot or war machine, while the Autobots are "civilians" and have more similarities in size and capability. Think of the old Quintesson origin story for the Transformers (although I prefer Primus, I grew up with the Quints).

If you can't tell already, I think the movie gets this right 100%. I also agree with Bob Orci that the robot's capabilities to start with determine whether it can successfully scan something like an F-22 and manage to mimic it and fight in that form.

OTOH, I also love when 'cons are cars and trucks and battle it out on the road with the Autobots. I think of them as mid-range military units that are specialized in fighting Autobots on their own terms. (Can you tell I'm excited for DotM?)

As far as the Decepticon and Predacon monsters from late G1 and RiD, that kind of works for me too. I just think of them as either formatted for another, organic world, or consciously taking forms to terrorize rather than to infiltrate.

13. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    All of it is described in his bio.

14. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Yeaaah, I get that, but when you say "made for an amazingly deep character, made for great conflicts," you make it sound like there's been some well-made fiction that featured a deep introspection into who Punch is, which isn't really the case. It's more like "would make for an amazingly deep character"

15. Gen. Magnus

News Credits:
    Is there no character or conflict within the bio? Those do exist, and those are to which I refer. I appreciate the deeper, mental conflict. It didn't have to be portrayed in animation or the comics to be obvious thanks to the info provided.

16. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Fair enough. I tend to get carried away with semantics

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's fair to point it out because it's an absolutely standout bio. It's just that they didn't ever fit it into a story.

18. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Stig's Asian Cousin

News Credits:
    AUTObots (for most of them)