Favorite Transformer of the day.....................

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jbarmadillo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Have you got any of the Classics Seeker mold? I'm contemplating changing my carbots to the legends scale and I'd like to see how these stand up next to the old deluxes.

2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Unfortunately, I only started collecting when Combiner Wars started, so I don't have any iterations of the classic Seeker mold, but if you wouldlike to make size comparisons, I'd be happy to help. I personally love the little guy, he's such a small bundle of joy.

3. ma70er

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Next to any of the CW deluxe molds would work. Thanks :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nemesis Otaku

Size comparisons, hope they help: :) 
    IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5893.JPG IMG_5894.JPG IMG_5895.JPG IMG_5896.JPG IMG_5897.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  5. ma70er

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nemesis Otaku

Well, there are some KOs of those like Overlord who are taller, but whenever a new sale on eBay pops up, I'd recommend buying an IF figure just to get a feel for the line, but that's just me. I only have two, and I can't wait to get another one, and another one, and another one...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker TFW2005 Supporter

Ah! You've got a good eye. Yeah, it's a dakimakura pillow of Kousaka Tamaki from To Heart. I'm sure the old lady was thinking WTF but she knew what she was getting into 18 years ago hahaha... but those years are past us now. We are still amicable but I'm sure there's gonna be some days where things will be awkward, especially if we see each other dating other people in the future. My psyche in the meantime is doing OK, just doing the moving out procedure, it's going smoothly with not too much of a hiccup. Luckily, there's no kids between us, except for 2 older dogs and 1 younger rescue dog at home that we have joint custody of, so separation paperwork is not messy at all.

Love the IF Red Alert, don't tempt me, man! A3U has it available right now (I think), and they're only 35 mins away from home. I've looked at him many times, and I've walked away, don't know how long I can resist before I cave.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Not a laser, nothing to see here

So damn tough 2018-10-12-09-02-26.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  9. transfan32

transfan32 Grinding my teeth.....

Such a showoff! I’ll make Thrust my favorite today just to get him to shut up.
    AD2DEB9C-6AAC-4223-A4FA-F8BBCA80E74C.jpeg
    F0F1F9CD-A143-4891-A55B-53A9B7252F6D.jpeg
    B4F876DA-D44D-43E2-9358-877C1E98E8B2.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  10. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    “Fine. You deal with my Autobot counterpart. I’ve heard he’s nearby. Real nearby”

A great character concept that never gets much of a look in in the fiction. Some incoming TF writer -be they in animation or the comics- has a great opportunity to do something interesting with this guy.

Much like the Clones, Punch/Counterpunch got a single memorable scene in ‘The Rebirth’ and then was pretty much lost to the annals of history. It was a damn fine scene and tickled my childhood imagination. A spy risking everything, including his sanity? like I say, it’s a great character concept…if you don’t think about it for too long. I mean, they both share the same alt mode. I know, don’t bother you with details. Punch/Counterpunch rules.

I’ll start with his car mode, as that’s kind of a nice neutral place to start.

It’s actually weird to see such a contemporary earth vehicle in the ’87 line up. Other than the Throttlebots, who were always a bit of a law unto themselves, everything else had an alt mode that didn’t need to worry too much about being faithful to any existing vehicle. It’s kind of nice to see something that doffs it’s cap to the old days of ’84/’85. Admitedly it’s a lot more kidifed than Jazz, Sideswipe, or even any of the Stunticon limb car modes, but I’m a sucker for a Pontiac.

Of the two ‘bots, Counterpunch (pssst, he’s the Decepticon) is probably the star of the show. He’s tall, imposing, has the cool 80’s shoulderpads, and a nice moody dark colourscheme. The headsculpt is maybe a wee bit weird and those arms are a bit spindly, but the overall effect is really, really nice.

It’s when you go from one ‘bot mode to the other that the party really starts. There’s two ways of transforming him, depending on your preference; you can just move the shoulders round, fold the other set of arms out and flip the helmet OR you can bend the knee down and flip out some feet and have a much shorter Autobot Punch. As one of those guys that likes the idea that the Decepticons are generally taller than the Autobots I’m a sucker for the latter method. I also like anything that makes the difference between the two bots more dramatic.

I kind of wish they’d not given him a faceplate in Punch mode. Despite Prime’s iconic faceplate, I always think of the faceplate as being more of a Decepticon thing. Blame Soundwave and the ‘Con insignia. Otherwise, I really like Punch. He’s simple and stout but I’m kind of into that. And a nice big splash of mustard yellow on his chest really livens him up.

I was kind of amazed when I saw that Power of the Primes Punch/Counterpunch was an all new mold. I was genuinely expecting him to be a redo of PotP Jazz (I mean, what is going on with that being a single use mold?). It was a welcome surprise and it definitely looked very promising. These ‘special editions’ just kept on pleasantly surprising me.

For me, when the Prime wars Trilogy stuff has worked best is when it’s stayed true to the G1 designs whilst giving us a poseable, dynamic figure of the kind we could onyl dream of as a kid. I know many people prefer the early days of ‘Classics’ and ‘Universe’ where we got things like Perceptor with a van mode, but I’ve always found those sorts of updates a little dissonant.

All of which to say, Punch/Counterpunch nails the G1 style.

Because I’m a whore for symetry I’ll start with Punch. My eyes always seem drawn to this lad’s chest. Not in a dirty way. It’s so weird but this the point where the PotP best invokes the original. The original had a very distinctive chest design and the current design time have elaborated on it, without losing it;s essence. Funny wee detail to pick up on, but an indicative one. And then there’s that beautiful, elegant headsculpt. He’s really a stunner. Optimus handsome.

A weird complaint I have about Punch is that he’s too tall. Or rather he’s disporoprtionate. He’s got short arms and massive lower legs. When I first saw pictures of Punch I imagined there to be a way of rolling the knees round so they’d click into the lower legs and give the option to make the Autobot smaller than the Decepticon, in much the way the original allowed you to. Wishful thinking on my part.

Oddly enough Counterpunch seems to manage these proportions so much better. Sure the arms are still too short and he’s a leggy number, but through some amazing sleight of hand (possibly the big shoulder pads) he manages to look…a bit righter.

And while Punch is – as I say – Optimus Handsome, Counterpunch is Soundwave sinsiter. That evil looking dash of solid red that sits under his visor gives him that cylon vibe and the down turned mouthplate gives a big dolop of contemptuous character. It’s a fine piece of work. I love the ‘fake’ roof chest and the shoulder pads, which are so much more imposing that the original.

But what i love most is the eleegance of changing from one bot to another. I’m delighted they kept the simple ‘flip it the other way’ helmet while giving us a much nicer way of changing the arms. Just a wee flip of the hands, it spins round from the forearm and blue hand turns to red hand turns to blue hand. Wicked. And if you hate simplicty then you can have a little fiddle with the shoulders.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t wish they’d kept the pontiac as the model for the vehicle mode, but there’s got to be a line in the sand as far as indulging old twats like me, and that’s a good one to draw. The vehicle mode is a classy affair, with lovely clear plastic windows and plenty of paint detail (painted rims! What an indulgence!). I thought this was going to be a total pain to transform, but I was really pretty pelased with the ways the ‘real roof’ folds out from the legs and folds over the chest. Real fucking clever.

When I saw those first pictures of Counterpunch I was confident that I was seeing some sort of ‘pre-tool’ of Pointblank, and maybe even Nightbeat in Punch, but in hand I’m not so sure. I’m not sure I can completely atriculate it. Maybe the parts count is too high for a regular deluxe, maybe he just feels too lithe for the more jock like Pointblank. Maybe, once the thought becomes clearer, I’ll go back and amend this review so it looked like I was more incisive (and, perhaps more curcially, totally right first time).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  11. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    All-time fave deskbot isn’t impressed with what I do for a living.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  12. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    It's like Prowl can read the scowl on my face without even seeing me. Three weeks to go until I move to a saner department.

• Like Like x 2
  13. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This rat bastard.

20181012_032344.jpg

Power of the Primes Rodimus Unicronus for today.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Black Lizard Planet (actually the Philippines)
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    RTS Strafe today.

strafes.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  15. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

Enjoying the good Doctor today.

DSC05126.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM
    • Like Like x 9
  16. Oreo Bot

Oreo Bot Saucy boy

SS Wave 3 Ratchet is an unexpected gem, outshining even Beetlebee for me
    D772DBE5-1C5A-4849-AC29-A818CC99F4CD.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  17. atomD21

atomD21 Well-Known Member

I saw him in the store yesterday and thought he looked pretty awesome! I think if he's still there today I'm going to grab him. I like his deco way better than the first one.

For me today goes to the SS VW Bee! I love this little guy!

20181013_025742.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  18. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Eternal deskbot and friend.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  19. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime I'm nearly always optimistic