Favorite Transformer of the day.....................

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jbarmadillo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    PotP Slug for today. I meant to include him in my faves picture yesterday, but I was too damned tired and...forgot. :( 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

• Like Like x 10
  3. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These boys are fucking naughty, mate.

BLAZE.43.png

• Like Like x 12
  4. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Iron Factory Shadow Assassin (Arcee):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  5. Large

Large Currently blablabla.

News Credits:
    True Legends today.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Dreadswing
    0102181230a.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  7. fereality

fereality Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tumblr:
    20180102_162736.jpg 20180102_163008.jpg BTS Sonicron arrived today.

• Like Like x 7
  8. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Bane of Your Wallet

Favorite today is Transformisson OverTurn. I gotta say, I love all of the TFM guys especially their altmodes. :) 
    IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2551.JPG IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2587.JPG IMG_2590.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  9. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    Not a Transformer but........

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Going LG Hot Rod today.

ExtraVig30-2.jpg ExtraVig31-2.jpg ExtraVig32-2.jpg ExtraVig33-2.jpg ExtraVig34-2.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 9
  11. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

Now I have to be disciplined enough to actually sell Optimus. Argh.

• Like Like x 6
  12. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    FotD, United Straxus

100_3572_2.jpg

Along with his retool, Universe Skullgrin :ev: 

100_3576_2.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  13. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    IMG_20180103_061207_273.JPG too close to call

• Like Like x 11
  14. SPAMSUNG

SPAMSUNG Well-Known Member

Took him out with me on a picnic with the gf! Screenshot_20180104-013601.png

• Like Like x 2
  15. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Man, that didn't take long!

Grimlock, for me, is one of the most iconic Transformers ever. When I really think hard about what I consider the iconic Transformers to be it's usually the guys on these adverts below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazz, Datsuns, Seekers, plus Optimus and Soundwave, and of course the Dinobots. I used to pour over these adverts when they were on the back of kids magazines. Hazy as my memory is I think they might be my first exposure to Transformers. Sure there were so many important Transformers that came after this but they didn't have that sort of distant, near mythical status as these.

I remember Grimlock as having amazing articulation, great proportions and a head that wasn't actually behind his shoulders. Yet even with more critical, adult guys, I still think he's incredible in robot mode. He's got some of the best accessories as well. I love his gun and sword. His T-Rex mode is perfection. It's the details. The little gold toes. The silver arms that actually turn. His chompy jaw and teeth. I consider it to be one of the most elegant G1 transformations from mode to mode, even though it's got a T-Rex head hanging off his back. The legs to tail and arms to legs are inspired and so well executed. I love this so much that there's a little voice in the back of my head just telling me that I'm utterly incapable of being objective. But this is one of the toys that really does take me back to being seven years old. I just want to clutch it to my chest like a linus blanket.

And of course he was the best thing about that early, pre Target:2006 era of TF:UK. I remember being so excited when 'In the National Interest' showed up in the 'next issue' box. All the best stories had the Dinobots, Decepticon Dam Basters, Wrath of Grimlock, Icarus Theory, Dinobot Hunt, the aforementioned 'In the National Interest'. They were the toughest, angriest, funniest, most sarcastic and tightly knit group of Autobots, and Grimlock was the most Dinobot of all the Dinobots. I miss the days when his T-Rex mode was drawn closer to the toy. There's something about that face.

Power of the Primes Grimlock is...difficult. Diffuclt and disappointing. I wanted to totally love this guy, I turned a blind eye to all the obvious problems that I saw in the convention photos. He'd win me over with his surly charm when I got him in hand right? I mean, it's frigging Grimlock!

Often when reviewing a toy I wind up having two typical areas of complaint, one more defensible than the other; it doesn;t look just like the character I loved as a kid/it's an objective mess. PotP manages to tick both these boxes. In both modes his proportions are all over the place. In bot mode the head, arms, chest, and legs all appear to belong to different sized bots. It's almost like he's wandered into a fairground and found himself in front of a warped mirror. Ok, he's a bruiser, maybe having oversized arms is in keeping? My eyes say no. He looks wonky. No matter how I try I can't get into him in bot mode.

I know everyone says kibble is sin and whenever I say that a figure looks wrong because it's missing some bit of kibble I get laughed out the proverbial room for being off my head and impossible to please (Hi TR Kup). The thing is that there's certain kibble that really helps define a character's silhoutte. Case in point, Grimlock's 'wings' are too small on his back. Sludge, Slag, and Grimlock all had some variation on those 'wings' and it helped make them look like a team. Maybe if his arms and chest weren't so massive?

The dino mode also looks like two different sized toys fused together. The top half, I must admit, is really good. The head sculpt is straight from the 80's character model and looks mean and surly, and crucially you can open and close his chompy jaw. A Grimlock without a snapping jaw option is a pure fail. a real nil points. The wee T-Rex arms are pleasntly articulated. And then you get down to the waist and it all just bloats up and looks so weird and ugly! I'm not even sure how much of this you can blame on the combiner gimmick (which I've completly ignored).

What's really striking about having yer G1 and PotP Grimlock's in hand is how much more...elegant the G1 toy is. From the transformation to the proportions to the dino mode. It all just looks better. Sure it lacks the articulation, but I think that's it? MP Grimlock was one of the only MP toys I've kept since deciding to sell my MP collection, and I think a big part of that was that seems to acknowledge all the things the original got right. I guess you can't beat a classic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  16. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

@barry I'll get in on some of that 20180101_111438-1.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I don’t mind PotP Grimlock’s legs, they remind me of his slightly chunkster proportions from Earth Wars.

[​IMG]

In other news, Christ isn’t that Rodimus transformation scary with all the snapping noises! And I certainly can see stressing around some bits. Sigh. I WILL NOT obsess about them though, no siree, I am just going to enjoy it and take care transforming. The lack of arm articulation in Rodimus Prime mode is a bummer though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  18. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Billy has also requested that I post his ten favourite Transformers at the moment, including his overall favourite Cliffjumper!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  19. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Soild choices Billy!

• Like Like x 1
  20. AMG

AMG Old School

G1 Jetfire today.

IMG_20170529_020409-2-1-1.jpg

• Like Like x 9