Favorite Transformer of the day.....................

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jbarmadillo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. motorthing

motorthing Oh no it isn't.

News Credits:
    I love this set-up. Seriously underated figures.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenta18

Kenta18 Member

Sixwing

3. Cincyred

Cincyred Well-Known Member

IMG_0464.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  4. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    From Octane... to once again, Sandstorm :cool: 

100_1850_2.jpg
    100_1877_2.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  5. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm enjoying him a lot, he is easy to put in good poses for pictures. Glad I could help. :thumb  He was definitely at the top of my want list, but dang he was hard to find. Haha

• Like Like x 1
  6. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    So while Astrotrain was my favourite of the Decepticon Triple Changer toys, Blitzwing was the one who had the coolest look in the cartoons and comics. He looked like the archetypal Decepticon soldier, almost as iconic as the Seekers. In fact he kind of looked like Seeker plus in many ways. Plus he had shades! Any robot with shades was an instant hit with my little 1980's self.

Blitzwing is an oddity amongst the Triple Changers, but at the same time characteristic of his Diaclone heritage, in that his robot mode is the least fully realised of the three. It's not bad, but it's not great. The way the wings are on the same level as it arms makes it look like he's wearing a coat that just far too big for him. And of course they're very stumpy arms, only articulated at the shoulder. His hands are quirky in that the gun can only go in his right hand and his sword in the left. His head seems a little squashed and I've never been a fan of his face being the same shade of dark purple as the rest of him. His spindly little legs and tail fin feet don't really work for me either. I do like the tank barrel sticking up behind his head but that's kind of it.

But I loved his tank mode! It is an excellent little toy tank and was so much fun to roll around, spinning its turret hither and yon. there's a couple of things that could have improved it, namely hiding the pet cockpit a wee bit better and some better molding on the tank tracks either side. But seriously, if you fixed those two things I'd consider this a flawless alt mode. I can't recommend the jet so highly. It's pretty cool but it's just so boxy and un-aerodynamic. Even as a kid I knew a plane wouldn't work very well if it looked like that. I do like the diecast tail fins though.

I'm not sure what I think about Titans Return Blitzwing. In a couple of these posts I've talked about my admiration for Hasbro resisting the urge to update a character model for the sake of updating a character model. It's been great to see the likes of Perceptor, Seaspray and Trypticon stick to the old character model or toy look and just update the engineering, detail and articulation. Blitzwing almost feels too slavish to the old toy.

A lot of it comes down to that deep purple on the face. I'm obviously more used to seeing the lighter shade of face under that yellow helmet. It's such a weird look, possibly only to my eye. Casting my eyes over my G1 shelves there's very few bots that have a face that's darker than the helmet, in fact apart from Galvatron Blitzwing is the only one that catches my eye. That said, I love the super G1 toy accurate sword.

Oddly, despite this gripe, my other problem with Blitzwing in robot mode is that he's somewhat over rendered. He's got a remarkable amount of very granular detail all across his torso, legs and arms. It reminds of everything I disliked about the Image comics from the early '90's, where every single panel would be so over worked that you'd walk away from the comic with a nervous headache. What can I tell you? I grew up with Kevin Maguire's smooth work on the Justice League comics and the likes of Steve Yowell and Steve Dillon on various 2000ad strips. The OTHER thing that bothers me is those arms. They're kind of a mess! They manage to be both too think and too bulky all at the same time.

And if the robot mode is problematic...

The tank mode is really well conceived. The design is clever as far as trying to accomplish the trick of hiding both the plane and robot. I personally would have liked to have seen a bigger tank barrel but I'm glad the turret rotates. But oh my god, it tabs together so incredibly badly. It's all I see when I look at the thing. The panels that sit on the back of his calves pops up, and the shins won't tab into the thighs, which mean the under carriage is so uneven that it won't roll, the shoulder tabs constantly pop out. If I ever wanted to have some sort of diorama where there was a blown up tank this would be great. I've seen other people say that it just requires many, many transformations before it all sits flush, so I look forward to mine working well in the year 2025.

The jet is much better. It still feels like it's about to pop apart at any second, but the fact you can force it to stay together a bit better by tabbing the gun in is a bit of a consolation. It really does look good though and wit sit comfortably next to a set of Voyager class Seekers (hint hint Power of the Primes). It has the inevitable triple changer kibble with that lumpy tank track/arms hanging around under the wings, and looks super awkward in profile, but it's clear that a lot of care and attention has gone into this.

I can't help but wonder why Blitzwing is such a hard one to get right. We only have to look back at the Thrilling 30 model to see how badly it can go wrong. I can't imagine myself wanting to add a third Blitzwing to my Generations collection, so it's not like I'm eager for them to take another crack. For all his flaws, this guy is going to be standing on my CHUG shelf for years to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  7. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Bumblebee! Both of em!

IMG_5321.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    • Like Like x 11
  8. AMG

AMG Old School

Armada Megatron today.

IMG_20170717_082218.jpg

IMG_20170717_081923.jpg

I got this guy years ago in an Ebay lot, which is why he's missing his horns (I think he looks better without them anyway). I picked him up off the shelf today and dusted him some. While holding him I forgot how much I love this figure. Good heft, nice paint work and he's got a lot of personality.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Him today

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

ROTF Bludgeon

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Titans Return Misfire:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Firecons today. I like to imagine the G2 ones are drones.

I really like their unusual robot modes. I just wish their arms were on ball joints for a little articulation.

20170717_202101.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  13. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Oh boy, what a blast from the past. Excellent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of picking up a few Cindersaurs to repaint as the green Japanese exclusive Guzzle drones.

I also like how the Dreamwave MTMTE profile books depicted Sparkstalker as a master criminal.

I do think the name Sparkstalker would be great for the Cybertronian version of the Grim Reaper.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Mmmm, I absolutely agree with this complaint. I really hate figures that are just covered in surface detail for the sake of it when it's clearly a much simpler design than what's needed. Blitzwing isn't the worst example, but it does kinda make him look odd. Weirdly I never noticed this with Megs, probably because of the grey plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  16. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I think it's the black pelvis with Megatron that distracts the eye from noticing quite how overrendered he is down there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    MP Cheetor came down from my shelf. *Sigh* Probably gonna be a while until he goes back. :D 

Pickies07.png Pickies10.png

• Like Like x 8
  18. NemesisGamer

NemesisGamer Well-Known Member

Favorite today would have to be this guy,I just love how posable this guy is!

IMG_0503.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1012.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  19. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

Going with Megatron :D  20170717_162112-1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  20. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter: