Favorite Transformer Aesthetic

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dragonzzilla, Sep 27, 2016.

?

Favorite Transformer Aesthetic

1. Simple (e.g. G1)

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Semi-Complicated (e.g. IDW, Prime)

42 vote(s)
    68.9%
  3. Complicated (e.g. Live Action)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Affiliation Lights/Glowing Symbols (e.g. WFC/FOC)

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

For better definitions:
    • Simple: It's very apparent what they transform into. You can easily visualize what their alt-mode looks like when looking at their robot mode. Not too many moving parts or pieces, so it seems less likely that a piece would jam and complicate transformation.
    • Semi-Complicated: The middle-ground. You can guess what sort of alt mode they have, indicated by wings or treads for instance, but you have to wait until they transform to really know what they look like.
    • Complicated: The robot and alt-mode are hard to correlate. Some elements are still consistent, like color, but the bots look their most alien or complex, which can be plus for some since they are highly advanced machines who need to hide.
    • Affiliation Lights: There are a lot of glowing bits (like their badges), usually red or purple, which indicate the Transformers' faction. In a way, this can help bots identity each other in low-light situations so they don't shoot each other... by the same logic, it can make it hard for them to hide.
    Across Transformers' many continuities, there have been prevailing designs or aesthetic themes that help define the continuity. The bots of G1 had simple transformations and designs; the Transformers of the live action films are notorious for their busy looks; etc. Which aesthetic is your favorite, though? There are reasons to love or dislike each one.

Personally, I have to go with semi-complicated, because I feel there's the most room for creativity here, and maybe affiliation lights. I really like the idea of glowing badges not only as a way to indicate one's alliance, but also as a way to show vital signs. Still, there's room for exploitation (messing with your colors or dimming them to get a jump on the enemy).

2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Out of those listed I'd go with semi-complicated. Something between Animated and IDW would probably be my preferred aesthetic, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Somewhere between simple and semi-complicated

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    G1. The old saying goes - Keep it Simple, Stupid!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shadowwavepool7

Shadowwavepool7 Life's suffering slave

I like innovative and complex not generic blocks, so both the movies and the Prime universe get my vote.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know that "simple" is the word I'd use to describe the G1 aesthetic, but G1 is definitely my favorite look. I like being able to see the vehicle in the character. I don't know why WFC/FoC would be considered a different aesthetic. To me, they are the same. Lights and glowing faction symbols aren't enough to change the overall aesthetic. Would Animated also count as simple? I'm a big fan of the Animated aesthetic, too. Hated it when they first leaked promo illustrations, but it's become near my favorite.

I've grown to like the movie aesthetic as well, though.

I guess TFP/IDW would be my least favorite of the choices. TFP for the outlandishly narrow waists on some characters and the lack of noses. IDW for overall ugliness.

7. Dragonzzilla

Oh no, I'm not considering WFC/FOC to be a truly separate aesthetic. I just threw those in there because that's something unique about them and I allowed for multiple votes; you can like a certain body design but also like affiliation lights.

8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I'd say semi-complex. Much as I love the super-complexity of the movie-verse designs, the jagged faces with many pieces making them up is not to everyone's liking. The semi-complexity of TF: Prime and the IDW comics make them look complex enough to feel "real", without being so complex they end up becoming controversial in how they are received. There's a lot of room for creativity, I'd argue more so than the G1 and Animated aesthetic, but there's still a limit, so they can't be so dissimilar that they look like a separate species from one another.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Where the hell is Animated?

Also, the worst aesthetic is WFC/FOC. By far.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm sort of split: I go for semi-complicated for animated productions and complicated for the live-action medium. I'd be willing to see a simple aesthetic if the overall designs were pleasing. I mean, G1 and Animated are both simple, but radically different at the same time. It all depends on the execution. I know that's a wishy-washy answer, but it is what it is.

11. Dragonzzilla

Admittedly, it is an imperfect poll. I wasn't sure where every continuity fell, so I went with examples I could put my finger on. However, let's not let that impede the discussion. I love seeing people's opinions!

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I'd put Animated in the simple category. While very stylized and unique visually, it's also very clear and apparent what they transform into (Unless they're Cybertronian).

I prefer Semi-complicated, I guess. I like seeing the vehicle/animal portions blend into the main robot, but I also like some of the complexity (Strangely enough, I'm not a big fan of Prime or IDW)

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Diaclone

Simple, boxy and with humanoid faces.

14. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I absolutely love the semi-complicated designs. I also love the movie designs, and how much detail they have, but they do look rather fragile. I'm not that big a fan of more simple designs, especially when they're blocky looking, but they are more armoured looking. IDW and Prime's aesthetics are a great mix of the two, looking armoured, but still detailed. It really pains me that Hasbro is too cheap make many good toys with that aesthetic anymore. Thank Primus for 3P. Oh, and since it was multiple choice, I threw in a vote for them being covered in lights.

15. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Semi-complicated makes for cooler designs. Plus, simple can lead to rather kibbly or blocky designs while complicated is hard to make look just right. I was going to vote for Glowing symbols, but that usually only fits on Cybertron, so semi-complicated wins for me.

16. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like semi complicated, but I'd go on to say anything except movie style, because that aesthetic is too complicated for my brain to figure out. Their faces are so overdetailed that I have a hard time figuring out what their emotions are supposed to be (which I have difficulty with anyway, due to the Sperg.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

My sentiment's exactly.

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Don Figueroa, 'nuff said (before he started trying to blend the Movie aesthetic into G1 looks)

19. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I choosed complicated in the poll but I changed my mind, I think semi-complicated is the best, it's not too basic and not overly complicated.

20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Difficult to say, i like designs from all over
    the spectrum. Also: i'm not sure wether this is about fictiondesigns or toydesigns, if the first i prefer G1, if the second i prefer what i guess is the IDW/Prime category, basically Generations. But like i said i like designs from all fiction and all toylines.