favorite tf gimmick?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jazz4ever, Mar 9, 2008.

1. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

sorry if i spelled that wrong anyway probaly the armada mini-cons closely followed by the headmasters

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Hmm. I've never been a huge fan of gimmicks... especially line-wide gimmicks like Mini-Cons or Force Chips. But, when the gimmick is tailored to the individual figure, I tend to like them a bit more.

• Mach Kick's extending horse head gimmick is pretty fun. A bit quirky, but fun.
    • Longrack's extending claw is really cool.
    • Optimus Primal (Ultra) has some cool gimmicks. The flip up over-the-shoulder missile launchers and flip out arm cannon rock. Unfortunately, his arm gimmicks are pretty lame... thankfully they don't interfere with poseability or anything so they are easily forgivable.
    • Combining, in general is a pretty sweet gimmick. Magmatron, JRX/Railracer, and Omega Prime are excellent examples.

3. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Favourite gimmick -> Transform from robot to [insert vehicle/animal/food name] and back!

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'm old school - I like the gimmick where a car, plane, gun, tape deck, etc. turns into a robot! That's the ultimate Transformers gimmick.

Aside from that, I like the automatic-transforming gimmick (or whatever they called it) from the movie line the best. You move one thing and three other pieces all move into place, it's awesome!

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Favorite gimmick: Headmasters. As a kid I loved that you got two robots in one, and that the little one could actually drive/pilot the big one in vehicle mode. I also liked the little stats readout you'd get on the chest when you plugged in the head. :) 

Runner-up: Combiners. Though at this point they are such an established concept in Transformers (as well as countless other "Giant Fightin' Robot" franchises) that I wonder if they even really count as a gimmick anymore.

And what the heck....

Least favorite gimmick: Energon Powerlinking. So many otherwise-good figures crippled in the service of creating Giant Tacky Robot Pants. My Downshift would knee someone in the crotch for conceiving it.... if he had knees.

Runner-up Worst: Cybertron Force Chips. They look terrible attached to the figures, and I hate having to keep track of the damn little things. At least with Minicons you get a fun little teensy robot.

6. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Beast Machines TANKOR's mono-eye(s).

Not only were they both light-piped (vehicle AND robot modes), but you could make them move left to right, AND ALSO make his robot-mode head rotate AND his robot-mode jaw move up and down.

That's basically 2 gimmicks working all at once in his vehicle mode (light-piping eye, moving eye),

-AND-

4 gimmicks working ALL AT ONCE in his robot mode (light-piping eye, moving eye, moving jaw, rotating head)!

Add in the claws, saw blades, missile launcher, & spark crystal, and you've got yourself a great figure!

7. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Qft. the transformations are the gimmicks! And unlike line gimmicks that have to be thought out and may compromise on certain figures, these would just require new alt modes, designs, etc.

8. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The old rub signs.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I dislike all the ones that require some add-on, because there's the risk of losing the add-on. I've lost all my Headmaster heads. I only have one Mini-Con, and I've lost all my Cyber Keys. I still have Primus' key and spark, and I'm actually rather disappointed that if you lose his spark, you essentially can't transform him anymore. At least I could enjoy my headless Headmasters with full transformation.

The gimmicks I like best are those which integrate with the transformation and somehow improve the toy; in other words, the gimmick has to serve a purpose. Although Automorph has been hit-and-miss (Ironhide: AWESOME! Blackout: bad bad bad Automorph), I can see Automorph being improved in future toys.

I'm also not sure if Alternators count as a "gimmick," but I just love toys that make realistic vehicles with seats, steering wheels, opening trunks, and stuff!!!!!!!! I'm STILL amazed at how great the robot and car mode is for Alt Grimlock and Rodimus.

I also appreciate little things, like ball-joint head rotation and some kind of mouth gimmick, like 20th Prime.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Triple-changing

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Walking! :D 

I need to get Trypticon and Omega Supreme to compete with Sky Lynx...although Trypticon is stable enough to actually walk (as opposed to dragging it's feet on the floor), he'd still probably lose to Star Convoy and Dai Atlas...

12. Nymyzys

Nymyzys Wailing Your Sorrow

Ebay:
    I was a big fan of Armada's Minicon gimmick, in general. I thought Hasbro/Takara did some really creative things with it. Transmetal was a fun gimmick during the Beast Wars era as well.

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Yeah, I'm with this one.

Headmasters was a close second.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The transformation itself would probably be my favorite gimmick, but that comes standard with most TF toys. I'm not a fan of line-wide gimmicks (aka minicons, combining, cyber keys). If anything, weapons that transform for the bot are cool imo. Kinda like Animated Voyager Optimus Prime's axe that becomes his trailer section. Lights and sounds are ok, but most are annoying imo. The best part about those gimmicks, is that you can stop it at any point you want to, by just taking out the batterys.

15. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

also the pretenders were good because you got basically a human and a transformer in one the only bad thing though is that the tf inside was like a legends class

16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

So, umm...does that make you a loser? :D 

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me too!

18. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

As far as alt. modes go, I'd say G1 was best; they were just about anything.

Heck, when I first saw the original movie, I was like "Holy crap! Megatron becomes a GUN?!"

Flexibility (ankle, knee, wrists, etc). Good for stop-motions.

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Am I the only one that actually likes the Cybertron keys?

I wouldn't say that it's my favorite gimmick, But I do think Cybertron made pretty good use of the keys, and it produced some outstanding figures.

20. Mach Wind

Mach Wind Active Member

I did like the Cybertron toys more than Armada. Some of the Armada figures REQUIRED you to attach the mini-cons to unlock the parts that are needed to transfrom (Hot Shot's foot, Blurr's back and missile launcher, Wheeljack's back), which goes against the idea of a Transformer.

The keys in Cybertron are used to unlock features (hidden guns, transparent spoilers, ride height) and doesn't interfere with the transformation.