Favorite TF engineering moments

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

This is just a thread to share your favorite Transformers toy engineering moments. For me I guess it was the intricate Car robots/RID toyline particularly JRX/Railracer.

Another favorite was the clever use of the Classics Sideswipe/Sunstreaker/Doublechanger mold. I'm guessing the Generations Wheeljack/Tracks mold is similar but I've never played with this particular mold.

Fansproject Bruticus deserves a special mention for turning a mediocre mold into something amazing. Some of the parts could be considered kibbly but for the most part it's self contained and every part had some utility.

I want to reserve judgement on TFC Hercules, but based on Exgraver alone it's really promising.

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Favorite Recent Engineering moment, would be HA Jazz. He IS an engineering marvel.

Another instance is simply, animated toys.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm going to work off the Animated comment because the whole line was a marvel. To be more specific to me is Lockdown. That thing mass shifts right in from of you.

4. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    For me, I got to give it to Leader ROTF Prime and Voyager BB Prime... the engineering on these 2 are amazing!

5. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me RTS Lugnut.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

RotF leader Prime. How in the name of all that is holy in this world does that robot turn into that truck... If just boggles me.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    MP01

It was revolutionary at the time :)  Great articulation combined with great figure design that could still transform to his classic alt-mode.

8. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to admit, Masterpiece Hot Rod was a very clever piece of work to manage 4 modes.

I really liked Generations Scourge's transformation. They managed to completely fit his body into a very small and sleek vehicle mode, unlike RotF Jetfire's body hiding under the SR71 mode. A very unique transformation as well.

And yes, love it or hate it, you have to give Animated props. They took an inherently non-perfect transformation character design, and they still managed to make the transformations and alt modes sleek and believable.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    -Most Fansproject stuff
    -Most Animated stuff
    -HA Jazz's door wrapping around his lower arm...usually doors are just sitting there as kibble but I've never really seen it used like that. You could say the same about RTS Lugnut's wings.
    -ROTF Optimus Prime in general. Goes from this huge, messy, accurate robot to a nice clean cab.

10. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    HA Jazz

most of animated, especially figures like Rodimus, who has little to no kibble

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

RID Gigatron. Not so much for all the modes but for the feeling he gives when you transform him. It feels like you have separate parts that end up combining into different things. But the thing is those parts never really separate.

12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Besides animated, pretty much this. I know how everything transforms and aligns and STILL I'm amazed each time I transform him.

Now the upcoming Prime toys, those are just sorcery.

13. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would transform mine more, but alt mode just doesn't really do it for me. Not really sure why.

I think I was most blown away after getting RotF Voyager Prime (yes, that crappy TFTM mold) because I hadn't really played with a modern TF before that other than Classics Silverbolt (which was/is a wreck in my opinion.) I was amazed at how far TFs had come. That toy is what brought me back to TFs in force.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Animated Shockwave, Lockdown, Rodimus, and Blurr among the Animated figures in particular. Though many of Animated are that way.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was impressed with the Alternators/Binaltech Smokescreen and Jazz(Meister), where the floor of the car folded in half, and the seats folded together to fill out the middle of robot mode.

Similar for the waist area of MP-1 Optimus Prime. I had no idea how that area changed between modes back before I got one.

16. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    ROTF LDR Optimus

17. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Leaders Optimus and Starscream

18. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fansproject Warbot Defender.

Yep. I said it.

19. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

God damn it, you took the words right off of my fingertips! Especially Jazz, with the way those feet rotate and become the rear of the car. Jaw dropping.

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wheeljack / Tracks. I was just thinking that last night while admiring the two toys. That was a great bit of engineering to make two very distinct toys from a single mold. A new paintjob, new headsculpt, and adding a step to require the turning of the waist, very ingenius.

Frankly, many of the classics designs are impressive. I particularly like Bumblebee, Blurr, Cyclonus and Scourge.

I'd agree that MP-1 Optimus, in context, was impressive engineering as well.

Back in the day, I'd say the Jetfire mold was exceptional, a brilliant design with good articulation, and you could squeeze three different modes out of the toy. Outstanding.