Favorite TF cartoon/season (ex. G1, season 3) and why?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 1984forever, Jun 21, 2010.

1. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

My Fav is G1, season 1. That is the essence of Transformers for me.

1) The Autobots were CARS. With Skyfire being the exception, and he started out as a Decepticon.

2) The Decepticons were, for the most part, jets. Most of Megatron's army consisted of seekers. The rest of their disguises lived up to the name "Decepticon". ex. Soundwave, the cassettes and Reflector.

3) The 'cons had a mission. Raid factories, steal energy, revitalize Cybertron. The Autobots also had a mission. Find the Decepticons, stop the Decepticons. It wasn't all about killing each other like later seasons and the movie. The drop in quality in season 2 was noticeable even to a 10yr. old.

4) With a smaller cast of characters we actually got to know these TFs. Imagine getting to know Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge as well as Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker. Megatron had a Space Bridge, he could summon as many warriors as he needed once Shockwave tracked 'em down, but the new Autobot cars needed some explanation on how they were re-united with Prime and co.

5) Great humans like Chip Chase and Dr. Archeville.

6) The stories had elements of espionage with characters like Bumblebee and Laserbeak moving the story along. Also Mirage's sabotage and Hound's scouting ability were put to good use.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Season 2:

Season 1 was great for the reasons you mentioned, but I liked season 2 better. There were more episodes, new characters. The backstory was already established and it started to go a little bit into the origin with Alpha Trion and the Female Autobots and such. It was a great time....then the movie came along and screwed everything up.

3. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada Unicron Battles,why ?because it was epic!

massive space battles,Nemesis Prime,Prime stops the HYDRA cannon,Prime comes back,Starscream is awesome in this season,Prime vs Megatron at the end is the most epic fight ever.The list goes on.

4. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Obviously Beast Machines. Undoubtedly the deepest, darkest Transformers iteration yet.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Beast Wars, Season 2

Well written, great characters with great voice acting, awesome Transmetal designs, nice mix of humor and seriousness, neat G1 cameos, Ravage, Best individual TF episode ever (Code of Hero). I think that sums it up for me.

6. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

Armada, because it's the first Transformers cartoon I ever saw. I love the action, the unnecessary but goofy bits with the kids, and the Mini-cons were the cutest things ever seen in a Transformers show! Sure, the writing was a little sloppy, and the plot was kinda stupid, but it was fun to watch, and besides, I was only ten years old. What did I know about plot? I just liked seeing giant robots fighting each other.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Me as well.

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    What you said.

10. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

G1 season one.

It was more down to earth in it's story telling. Both seasons 2 and 3 went to some weird places that didn't feel (lets say) natural for Transformers. That's not to say S2 and S3 didn't both have some fantastic episodes, it's just S1 carried it tone through out it's entire 16 episode run. Save for the 86 movie TFs seems to work bet when it sticks to using Earth and Cybertron as it's main staging grounds.

Another reason, progressive story telling. Each episode stood on it's own, yet they had an effect on subsequent episodes. Thus season 1 got cooler as it went along. Each new group of characters introduced changed the dynamic, or ballance of power between the two factions.

11. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

This is pretty much everything I was going to say.

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ALL

Because I can :bay 

13. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

i am confused i remember seeing in G1 season 1 Heavy Metal War at the end the Autobots throw the Decepticons in the lava and it finished their season 2 shouild of picked up where season 1 finished and all of a sudden the Decepticons are in their base thats weird.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Beast Wars hands down. I've yet to see a 3-D animated show that has the same level of voice acting, writing, and animation that Beast Wars has. Since TF: Prime is gonna be 3-D, here's to hoping it can beat Beast Wars.

Beast Machines is like The Lion King II - unnecessary as hell, but was actually okay in its own right (to an extent). To its credit, Beast Machines really dug into the psyche of each of the characters, such as Blackarachnia trying to recover Silverbolt or Cheetor trying to convince the others he's no longer a kid. My only major complaint - did they really have to make Rhinox a bad guy? It's like Cheetor says: "The Rhinox I knew would NEVER side with Megatron!" I'm tempted to draw up a BM Rhinox now.

Transformers Animated is not far behind Beast Wars, but a bit ahead of Beast Machines. If they had gone into Season 4 like they had wanted to do, it may have been just as good or better. There was great character development and superb voice acting (especially Corey Burton's Megatron). The animation itself wasn't the best, but the style in which it was drawn stands out as something different, which is something that Transformers really needed after so many years.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Just like how every episode doesn't tie real-time into the next one, and just like how every scene doesn't tie real-time into the next one, its an example of a section break in a story.

Did you really need to see Megatron and the other Decepticons crawling out of the lava and sneaking back to their base unnoticed after Megatron swears revenge?

Overall, I've got to give my vote to Beast Wars, since it was some of the best character-driven stories that Transformers has had, with a brilliant mix of comedy and action, and hell, its Canadian.

16. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

G1 Season 1

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bless ya, that's the nostalgia talking. We got to know Starscream, but Skywarp and Thundercracker? Nah, not really. Having more lines does not = "actually getting to know them."

Outside of Prime, Megs, Starscream and maybe a couple of others, most didn't get beyond the essence of their tech specs. Same thing happened in season 2. Nostalgia is telling you season 1 was better in this regard, but it wasn't.

Not until season 3 did proper characterisation start to play a factor in the storytelling.

But hey, despite all that, season 1 holds the most nostalgia for me on account of Wac-a-Day (one for you UK fans out there) and the Panini sticker album.

18. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    I'm with you on that one. There were some things I didn't care for but the majority of the story elements I enjoyed.

1) BM Megatron is my favorite TF character because for a series based around a toy line they made the "bad guy" someone who at times you could agree with his vision sometimes. They didn't just make him a 'normal' villian, but BW/BM Megatron was never a normal villian. I just enjoyed the fact they explained the "bad" guy's motives, because they did this in his own mind what he is doing is right. And who's to say what Primal wanted was 'right'?

2) Optimus Primal even started to question his own beliefs and ideas because Megatron's even made sense to him even if just for a moment. That and they took the whole "I'm good, I'm the leader, everyone follow me" persona and turned him into an almost reliegious nut for his ideals.

Because of things like this I just really enjoyed the direction BM went. I thought it was a nice ending to the US G1/Beast Era.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  19. potatojoe

potatojoe Active Member

Ebay:
    G1 Season 1.

You got the Transformers arriving on Earth, some truly epic battles between Optimus and Megatron and creation of the Dinobots.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Same applies for Beast Wars. :D