Favorite/Recommended Manga Titles

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by soundwaveCA, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Wow, 19 posts and nobody mentioned Hayao Miyazaki's "Kaze no Tani no Naushika"??

2. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    I just completed 21st century boys, waiting for the 3rd movie to come out and watch them all in one ago.

If you guys like dynasty warrior and chinese history, the ravages of time is up your alley.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo, it's an all time classic.

Also another 80's classic that's one of my fav is Crying Freeman by Kazuo Koike & Ryuichi Ikegami. lotsa violence & nudity too.

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    -Battle Angel Alita
    -Blame!
    -Noise
    -Biomega
    -Vampirehunter D
    -Kamiyadori
    -Busgamer
    -Gothic

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been told this is really good and is on my to buy list.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    No kidding, I love the anime to death but I really didn't know what to make of the manga. I liked the ending but the lead up to that is just wtf.

7. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Rurouni Kenshin - Viz - samurai, historical, humor - my favorite of all time
    Buso Renkin - Viz - also by Watsuki, good if you like Bleach
    Gun Blaze West - also by Watsuki, if you like his other stuff or westerns give this a try
    Wolverine: Prodigal's Son - nice manga stye reinvention of my favorite mutant
    Mail Order Ninja - Tokyopop - first scene parodies the '86 TF movie, great humor, reminiscent of something the creator of Power Puff Girls might come up with, includes two very Snake Eyes/Storm Shadowesque ninjas too
    Destiny's Hand Omnibus - great read if you like pirates

Some that have already been mentioned:
    Claymore
    Batte Angel Alita
    Ranma 1/2

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I haven't read too many Mangas, but out of the ones I've read I recommend (in order) Dragonball, City Hunter, and Naruto.

9. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step.

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    while I've yet to read it myself, everyone I've ever talked to prior to this thread prefered the Elfien Lied manga over the anime

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

It's awesome. I recommend it wholeheartedly. You won't be dissapointed. The level of detail is stunning, with story and battles on a much grander scale than in the anime (which is great as it is).

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Haven't read much manga as I used to. But my favorite is Gunslinger Girl.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Well there's definitely alot more to it (the anime does come across as short at 13 episodes) and has far more closure to its ending, but as I said most of the storyline once Mariko is introduced is just really weird.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It looks good but it and the anime are pretty much identical frame for frame :lol  At least from the one book I looked at. If you like Black Lagoon though I would highly recommend Gunsmith Cats as it's the same idea.

Normally I would be enthusiastic about anything Big O but I was kinda cool to the manga, I dont know something about it just didn't click with me, I think you miss a lot of the mood and atmosphere the anime really has.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, I didn't say that I preferred the anime over the manga, just that the manga is highly bizarre as it gets closer to the ending (
    the giant head girl, Lucy's powers reaching excessive Goku-like levels, Lucy gaining another personality, Lucy taking forever to die once she starts 'melting', etc
    ) and there's some stupid things that didn't do anything to advance the plot (
    diaper girl
    being the best example). The anime would have likely had the same problem if it had progressed further along in the series, since the greatest level of weirdness didn't really kick in until after the point the anime ended...and up until that point, the anime had been a fairly faithful adaptation. Still, the manga has the obvious benefit of actually having a true ending and explaining what was going on with everything. I don't know if the creators of the anime were expecting to get a second season or something, but the anime ended with too many dangling plot threads that make no sense without reading the manga (much like the Naru Taru anime, actually). I think both versions of the story are about equal in the early episodes/chapters, and would have remained comparable i the anime had finished, but the manga definitely has the edge in actually wrapping everything up.

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Wow, am I the first person to say BERSERK? Definitely one of the best out there, can't wait to see where its going the huge change up recently. While its gotten away over the top lately, Gantz is still a personal favorite. Fairy Tail is pretty good too. Definitely enjoying it. Last but definitely not least Monster is still one of the best series I've ever read, manga or comic.

16. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't believe no one has mention Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, its easily one of my favorite mangas. Kamen Rider Spirits is also awesome (at least whats translated is) and I'd also recommend Zetman, though it can get pretty brutal at times.

17. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I'm sure I am not the first one to say it, but Death Note was awesome as a manga. As an anime, not so much.

DearS is a hilarious read, if you don't take it seriously at all. A fantastic manga and Anime would have to be Cyborg 009, totally awesome in every way (except the ending, at least in the manga).

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Maybe one could add Death Note, but I'm not quite sure about that. Have only seen the anime.

19. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Battle Royal
    Berserk
    Bleach
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
    Lupin III
    Planetes

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would have read the manga as well but after watching the anime and the live action films I lost interest.