Fan Art: Favorite Illustrated Styling of TFs and Why:

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, May 10, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey there Fan Art guys! I thought I'd start a discussion thread and ask you (basically what the title says):

"What is your favorite style to illustrated TFs in and why?"

I've noticed that Fan Artist tend to have their niche illustrative style, whether that's Animated or "Classics" styled TFs. Some prefer Beast Wars (or "organic") styled mechs, etc.

So, I wanna hear from you!

I have to say that a lot of my influences are mecha based (like Gundams, etc.), where the tech has to "work" in some way. Face panels for mouths (instead of cartoony mouths), the parts look like they actually tranform to fit, etc. While Alternators still tend to be my major subjects, my illustration style does include "Classics" styled TFs, even reaching towards RiD and such.

Also, feel free to link to your Fan Art project threads in the Fan Art forum as well :thumb 

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends.

Technical drawing wise I suppose any manga would work.

For comics and maximum dynamics I do like the old Pat Lee/Dreamwave. Whoever did the Armada insert comic was good too. Not too manga/anime and not too blocky western style.

As far as line style, definitely the box art on reissues.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The style I love most is that of Studio Ox. That artwork, along with the Ban Magami artwork, is what I look to most when planning out my kitbashes. For some reason, they are just referenced more than most other works for me. I love all of the TF manga art from the 80's also. So I would have to say Studio Ox and Ban Magami win out as my favorite styles. I haven't done illustration in YEARS, other than some sketches here and there (and I haven't shared those here--you can see a couple on my FB page though). The most recent artwork I did was a large shot of Rodimus from the cover of Visual Works--I wanted to try that style and I just basically looked at it and drew what I saw in pencil in my sketchpad. As for my own "style", I've always done super details on most everything. I can sketch cartoony and that's fun sometimes, but I really like the technical details. I'm my own worst critic though and I usually end up with almost too much detail. I used to draw a LOT, but most of my artwork is somewhere back at my mother's house in Florida. I will say that drawing the human form is my least favorite. I can crank out cartoony junk in minutes, but trying to do the actual human form nicely, I will spend hours getting the nose, the eyes, the ears and face all right. Doing things more like landscape and trees are fun also.

But overall, I love technical and the style that was done in most of the 80's Japanese art.

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I'm not sure of the name, but whoever does the inserts in the Takara reissue boxes does great renditions of TFs. They're well proportioned, and aren't stingy on the detailing but not OTT, either.

Having said that, Derrick Wyatt's renditions of TFs are always exciting to see in my opinion. The Animated style forces the personality of the character in to their aesthetics so each one is really individual looking.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The artist on the Armada comic is James Raiz for the most part (James Raiz - Transformers Wiki). Guido Guidi (Guido Guidi - Transformers Wiki) and DON (Don Figueroa, Don Figueroa - Transformers Wiki) worked on some issues as well.

That would be Hirofumi Ichikawa (市川 裕文 Ichikawa Hirofumi):
    Hirofumi Ichikawa - Transformers Wiki

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay: