Favorite IDW Spotlight Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Just your usual MTMTE fan, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Just your usual MTMTE fan

Just your usual MTMTE fan Active Member

I really like the idea of stories focusing on lesser known or less developed characters. It allows us to better understand them and let them in the spotlight (heh) for once. In no particular order my favorites are:

1) Megatron I really like the way he and Starscream were portrayed here and gave us a good reason for why Megatron hasn't killed the latter yet. It also helped develop the two and I loved the way the two interacted here.

2) Blaster This showed the current situation of the autobots in the war, it's effect on them and how vital hope is to their cause as seen with how Blaster brings up the spirit of his fellow autobots through his broadcasts and what the cons will do to get rid of him.

3) Hoist This isn't the most deep, emotional, philosophical, epic or important spotlight of all time but I really like this for some reason. I just really like the story with how unique it was and Hoist's dynamic with Swerve and Sunstreaker and vice versa were really well done.

4) Shockwave It helped us understand the character really well and gave an explanation for Ore 13 showing up on Earth, setting the stage for Dark Cybertron and explaining how Shockwave and the Dinobots ended up on earth. All in one book!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Oh this is a good one, I love the Spotlight series. In no particular order and for no particular reason the top couple that come to mind are:

Kup, Mirage, Cliffjumper, Trailcutter, and, I have to agree, Megatron.

Shockwave and Soundwave are great too, but they're so plot-oriented that I tend to consider them part and parcel with Stormbringer.

3. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

I haven't read all of the spotlights (yet) but of the ones I have read so far I'm pretty sure Spotlight Megatron is my favourite. I also liked Hoist, Prowl, Kup, and Cliffjumper.

4. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Agumus mentioned spotlight: Cliffjumper.
    Where IS Cliffjumper? He was big during AHM. Since then he’s just been.....gone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

I think his most recent appearance was in the All Hail Optimus story arc of RID but yeah since then I don't think he's been around? I just kinda assumed he's been chillin' on Cybertron or something.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about Furman's Optimus Prime Spotlight a bit.

Optimus thinks about how a Prime personifies an era of history, how they should represent that era's ideals, and how they should be a force protecting the life & liberty of all. But when he had his brush with death, he sensed something strange -- Nemesis, a corrupted Prime, corrupted by the desire to exceed his place, to go beyond the natural order, to remake it for his own ends. It fills him with dread, and it's the same dread that villains like Thunderwing and Megatron inspire.

He also imagines the succession of Primes, which includes Sentinel. This is the only time Furman ever mentions him. So it's the only connective tissue between Furman's run and Megatron Origin.

Megatron Origin is nothing like Optimus's cosmic fantasy. Megatron Origin is an explicitly Marxist allegory about the economic conditions on Cybertron radicalizing the working class. The Decepticons are revolutionaries, they are going to tear down the old world and build a new one, and a Prime doesn't stand for any sort of ideal. A Prime is just a police chief, the Autobots are just cops, and all cops protect is the interests of the bosses.

So, as far as this Optimus is concerned, what was the Decepticon revolution about? A selfish and foolish defiance of nature.

This is what I was talking about in Ryan F's thread however many months ago -- there are two entirely different worldviews here. And the conflict can't be resolved with an appeal to canonicity.

In Chaos Theory we get a new fantasy -- the thing which disrupted the natural order wasn't Megatron's perverse defiance, but functionist bigotry. If the people in power had given up their unnatural religious beliefs, Megatron and the other Decepticons could have been pacified, and Cybertronian society could have evolved naturally without a violent revolution.

When I first read that, I took it to be Optimus's fantasy, and I took Optimus to be wrong.

It turns out that maybe wasn't Roberts's intent. So much the worse for him!

• Like Like x 3
  7. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Don't forget Spotlight:Tarn (MTMTE 39) and Trypticon (Salvation), in a sense.

8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or RID #22, the real Spotlight: Soundwave.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Gomu gomu no spell check giphy (1).gif
    But in all seriousness I don't think I've seen heads nor tails of Cliffjumper in years.

10. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Lol oops.
    Sorry bout that:) 

11. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Optimus Prime #9 was basically an honorary Spotlight, and it was a fantastic one.

Spotlight Trailcutter is one of the high points of Roberts' writing.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Spotlight Megatron, trailcutter were amazing spotlights. The cyclonus one wasn't bad in revelation either.

Its surprising we never got an official spotlight starscream.

13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Cliffjumper, Hoist, Shockwave, Trailcutter.

14. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

"Starscream: The Movie" is looking to be exactly that.

My favorite spotlights are Shockwave, Optimus Prime, and Megatron. In my opinion these stories give you three different ideals on what the Great War represented. To Shockwave it was a farce but a way to further his scientific studies. Optimus Prime saw his near death experience as a window to see how he can take things back in the days of Nova Prime before Omega Supreme told him "Naw Nova Prime was a monster." Megatron saw the war for what it was, a way to further the Decepticon cause for what it was despite the dramatic difference when it first started out. He's not right, but to see that the cause dramatically change for 4 million years was something interesting. It was also nice to see the dynamic between him and Starscream in the grand scheme of things.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

My favourite Spotlights are...

Prowl. Love the artwork and he's not a prick.
    Galvatron
    Nightbeat. Great opening line, "There's a hole in the world".
    Trailcutter
    Hardhead
    Hoist
    Metroplex
    Wheelie. I especially liked the artwork.
    Kup. I never liked the character but it was a good story.
    Mirage was bloody awful.

Spotlights I'd like to see...

Whirl
    Kick Off
    Thunderwing. Preferably involving his Matrix Affinity.
    Repugnus
    Krok
    Crankcase
    Misfire
    Flywheels

16. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spotlight Thundercracker is my favorite with Shockwave and Hoist right behind.

Thundercracker has been one of my favorite IDW characters and his spotlight does a great job giving you the seed of who he is and why he becomes what he becomes. Shockwave is probably the most consequential one shot given how much of it is picked up years later in Barber’s run on RiD. It helps that Shockwave’s one shot is really well done.

I like Hoist’s spotlight because I love stories about the normal guy stepping up, plus it’s a fun story about confronting your worst fears.

17. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Kup, Megatron, Ramjet, Shockwave, Soundwave, Trailcutter, and Hot Rod were probably my favs.

18. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Megatron - While the dynamic of a few characters were altered from what they had been established as in IDW, it was all around a good ride. It was almost as much a Spotlight: Starscream as you got a lot of him as well.

Kup - My favorite. The art and colors are the tits. Good ol; Outback.

Trailcutter - The art is great. Too bad Frank is always busy with his Godzilla/Kaiju stuff, I would love to see him take a story arc from one of the ongoings.

19. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Ultra Magnus, Wheelie (I was surprised by how I like it, especially since I don't like Wheelie as a character), Kup, Blaster, Hot Rod.
    Also The Revelations series was great, with Sideswipe, surprisingly being the weakest IMO (owing to how some things were fast forwarded through).

20. SonicGX98

SonicGX98 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hmm, My favorites are probably Megatron, Blurr, Kup, Orion Pax, Bumblebee, and Cliffjumper.