Favorite gaming moment(s)?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ra88, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    WWF No Mercy: Sweet Jesus! We used to have some of the most epic matches. I recall a cage match that lasted about an hour and consisted of one of the most brutal beatings you've ever seen. We had each other beat as bad as possible, yet neither of us would stay down. Eventually I was able to win. Definetely one of the most hardfought wins I ever had.

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mario 64 - too much good stuff to mention.

RE2 - in the police station interrogation room, you cross the room going by the
    mirrored glass pick up the health spray and go to leave when a licker breaks
    through the glass. Scared me enough to throw my controler across the
    room, still enough to make me jump even now. It dosen't help that I
    usualy play games like that late at night.

Mortal Kombat - seeing a fatality for the first time.

3. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

FFVI: Opera scene. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.
    DDR: Watching cute women play! :D 
    Super Metroid: Phantoon. Gawd, that thing freaks me out.
    Metroid II: The hatching of the baby Metroid! awww...
    Sega Marine Fishing: Catching a fraggin' shark!
    Phantasy Star Online v1: Defeating the final boss for the first time with three other adventurers. Also, acting all bad-ass with the uzis. Also, using them well, showing that despite the fact it's useful despite being (from what I could tell) the least popular weapon.
    Doom: Unleashing the chainsaw for the first time.
    Animal Crossing: Wild World: Getting Angus to like me. ...unfortunately, then he wouldn't leave me the heck alone.

4. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

More like pulling off a fatality for the first time here, Scorpion was my hero after that.

I also have to say that the TFW Halo 2 games were golden. I can't wait for Halo 3 to come out at the end of the year.

5. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Man, my list is full of moments from the Metal Gear Solid series. Countless ones. Just to name a few off the top of my head:

*Opening scene in MGS3.
    *Tanker Chapter in MGS2.
    *The Boss' betrayal in MGS3.
    *Fight against The End.
    *Ending of MGS3.
    *The whole Arsenal Gear section in MGS2. Amazing action.
    *Liquid suckering you into activating MG Rex and then fighting it in MGS1.
    *Gray Fox's death in MGS1.

As for other games:

*All village parts in Resident Evil 4.
    *The first time I defeated Shao Khan in MK: Trilogy.
    *The Hydra boss fight in God Of War.
    *First time I played Grand Theft Auto 3.
    *Omaha Beach in Medal Of Honor: Frontline.
    *Fighting Tidal Wave in the Transformers Armada game.

6. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Whoa, spoilers everywhere.

I gotta say one of the best moments I had was picking up Breath of Fire 4 on it's release date and breaking it in when I got home.

7. ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade I am...

No one has said it yet, so I will add it. Mother brain killing the baby metriod after it saves you... BITCH! Man it was fun blasting her ass with that gun though. The screams she made brought me great joy!:rock 

8. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

News Credits:
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - most of the game; simply put, that game was a joy to play

Samurai Shodown V Special - upon buying the cartridge on release, playing it for the first time was a joy (and a sad moment at the same time... the last home cartridge release for the Neo Geo)

Fatal Fury 2 - Beating Krauser was an accomplishment, and I just love the BGM for his stage

Capcom vs SNK - I can't remember the number of points I got, but it was my ultimate match - Akuma (me) vs. Eagle. Hit him with a combo, dizzied him, had done so much damage that just a couple hits re-dizzied him, hit the Raging Demon, ... ended perfect, super combo finish bonus, and whatever bonuses I could get on that one fight. The greatest match I've ever had.

Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder - Playing these in 1993 was a rush. Those were the greatest shooters I had ever seen at the time. Played them for 20 minutes each at the CES in Chicago and was forced to buy a TurboDuo 3 months later. The games epitomized what made great shooters. Great music, vibrant color, and detailed sprites

Ys I and II - The intro grabbed me from the get-go (Ys... the ideal utopia...); the game as a whole is a favorite moment (hence, the reason I consider it one of the best games I've ever played)

Metal Slug 3 - The last stage is one of the biggest levels in the history of the series, and it's just a fun blast-o-rama.

Vay - I was shocked at the one clip when the one character (can't think of his name right now) was killed by an arrow. That was the first time I had seen a "main" character killed in a game (arrow shot into his chest). I sat there in total disbelief and anger (I liked using that character).

Impossible Mission - Finally giving up on the game once I found out the game was programmed incorrectly and truly was impossible to beat.

Wii Play (pool) - sinking 5 balls on the break yesterday

Those are just a few.

9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is mine.

Also,
    Suikoden I: Forcing to battle your dad.
    Suikoden II: If you fight Jowy at the end.
    Suikoden III: Luc's revelation and death.

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Favorite gaming moment of all time, electronic or not: The near hour-long air hockey matches me and my buddy used to have when we were in university. Cheapest table in town, and it was a doubles table, so we always used to play with a paddle in each hand. About halfway through university we were fast enough to draw blood from eachother with a bad puck, and by the time we gradded we were good enough not to do that any more. I don't think we were really that great against anyone else, but against eachother we were Ryu and Ken.

11. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Some more:

Goldeneye (how could I forget it): First time I head-sniped the guard on the dam and watched him crumple like a sack of potatoes.

Goldeneye - Can't recall which level, but the first time I realized that I actually had to sneak through parts of the game, rather than go in blazing ala Doom.

Half Life - The opening descent. No,nothinghappens. But it just felt so great and groundbreaking, slowly pulling you into that world, dragging you through levels you'd eventually be fighting to get out of.

The Thing - A decent game, but the ending, the reveal of the pilot, made me giddy as hell.

MK64 - Playing Yoshi's highway - backwards.

RE4 - The first village sequence, and the later "Night of the Living Dead" cabin sequence.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker - dropping down the hole of eternal combat. Naturally I did that around midnight, thinking "one more thing before I go to bed"

Wind Waker - Finding the temple of time, and then unfreezing it.

Mario 64 - "It's-a-me! Mario!"

Shadows of the Empire - OK, later on we got better Hoth levels, and then they became a cliche', but the first time I swooped twixt an AT-AT's legs was sweet.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - Any of the Mummy levels. Brilliant!

12. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

Playing Halo 2 multiplayer. Double Team CTF with a friend on Ivory Tower. He's got the flag and is running it back in the room with the airlifts. Sword guy comes up right behind and I tell him to jump off. I fired two rocket blasts at the platform right as he's jumping off and the sword guy is lunging at him. It couldn't have looked cooler if it was choreographed in a movie. The rockets fly right by my friend and create a huge explosion right behind him, the sword guy eats it and the sword flies right in front of me.

4 players splitscreen Goldeneye on the N64 when I was a kid. The Man With the Golden Gun in the Basement. Hilarity and intense rivalry seeing who could get the longest killing streak with the golden gun.

Resident Evil 4. When Leon, Carlos, and Ashley hold up in that house after getting surrounded by the villagers. Ashley hides upstairs while you and Carlos stay downstairs. You can block the windows to keep them out for a little bit, but eventually the entire downstairs is over run by zombies. Then you run upstairs and they keep climbing in the second story windows with ladders. After about 10 minutes and countless villagers you finally fight them all off, at which point you have to pause the game to catch your breath.

The Battle of Endor in Rouge Squadron 2.

13. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    ROGUE. ROGUE SQUADRON. Unless they were all wearing makeup. [/livid]

14. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

The majority of KOTOR blew me away but of course the twist just kicked me into hyperspace, fantastic story, brilliant.

MGS1 for its new style of gameplay, charactors, design, Grayfox, nuff said, a true classic

MGS2 may have fell apart at the end but it was designed to perfection and the charactors, even Raidon, will always be remembered.

MGS3 from start to finish, one of the best written games I've ever played, truely outstanding.

Playing Half Life 1 for the first time, changed my perspective on gaming completely. My all time No. 1 game. Ever.

Resident Evil 2. First time a hell dog jumped out at me in the allyway behind the cop shop scared the shit outta me and my friend and it happend in broad daylight, never jumped so high in all my life, fantastic when a game can hit an emotional core like that.

Playing GTA: SA for 15 hours straight, the storyline was gripping IMO, not MGS3 but still pretty good.

Gears of War - Nuff said.

Zelda on the N64 redefined the RPG for me, amazing fun. Ya could fish for christ sake!!

I played FF7 after I played FF8 and I was blown away, the freedom and storyline were breath taking.

Not so much a game but playing the 360 for the first time, I think its the first console since my Sega Mega Drive that I've truely loved.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's a little non-scripted scene that kinda got to me:

In the PS1 Squaresoft game, Threads of Fate (or Dewprism in Japan), you meet Rod, the travelling weaponsmith/swordsman, with whom you form something of a friendly rivalry, at least in terms of your fighting skills. This "event" is much more applicable playing as Rue, the rather melancholic male protagonist than it is playing as spoiled princess Mint, but anyways. Near the end of the game, after he's forged himself his strongest weapon, you can duel him freely, and instead of just using Rod's normal Spanish guitar theme, the game randomly selects from a few of the game's songs to use as the background music. One of those songs happens to be the game's catchy, cheerful main theme "Reunion" (you can download and listen to the song here).

It's nothing really special in terms of getting the event to occur, but I doubt Square was going for quite such a dramatic effect. Just the thought of the sad little boy Rue going at Rod and giving it his all, with such a bright tune in the background just seemed very touching to me, and highlighted the relationship between the two very well.

On the scripted sequence front, however, Final Fantasy VIII's Dollet Mission conclusion was great. The whole X-Atmo chase sequence was awesome, as was the sight of Quistis blowing that monstrosity away with the dropship's chaingun at the end of it. Too bad you have to get a worse mission rating to see that scene (the better rating would be to destroy the X-Atmo personally, which is actually quite difficult that early in the game, and takes a good amount of preparation).

Final Fantasy IX's razing of Alexandria was also breathtaking, watching Bahamut rise malevolently from the flames of the city, and then seeing the dragon king take on the massive Alexander.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it would many of the above mentions moments in the Metal Gear Solid series...especially intro of Solid Snake in MGS2...pity we had to play majority of the game as Raiden...not that I dislike the character but one of the coolest things abt the MGS series was to play as Snake! :D 

17. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

The RE2 B missions where you would be stalked by that giant trench coat wearing freak for the majority of the game. I screamed like a girl when he came through a wall by surprise one time.
    RE4 was alround awesome but I'll always love the holding the cabin section.

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the scene in devil may cry where you get your first sword - after it flies off a wall and impales dante. awesome cool cutscenes.

i remember when i got my ps1, the first game i played was resident evil, and it was the first time i'd seen anything like it. i was like "wow, this is what games are like now!"

19. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

• "Here's a lockpick. It might be handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you." -Resident Evil

• The Apartment Blocks in Silent Hill 2, I swear I have never been so teriffied in my life that I didn't want to go through a door into the upper floor, I was frozen.

• The haunted House from Silent Hill 3's amusement park, It was the voice over that disturbed me, not the scares.

• Encountering Fast Crab Head Zombies in Ravenholm in Half-Life 2

• Killing Anna Nivara accendentally in Lebedev's Jet Deus Ex and the game contiuned, it was one of the many branches in the story that could happen :D 

• Playing Red Faction and messing up terrain

• Travelling through MGS3's Jungle, just wow and so lush

and my favourite all time game moment, so far:

• When Retreating from 4 armed guards in Perfect Dark (N64) on the other side of the blast door. One of Guards behind this door says this:

'Stop Touching me'

They Rush through the now open blast door, one of the four fumbles his gun

'Aw no way' he wines

Two go down to chest wounds, in that really cool Goldeneye/Perfect Dark animated hit location reaction way.

The dude with the dropped gun has by now run off. While I finish his mate off with the rest of my clip into his nuts

'You....bitch' he says with remorse

ah memories

20. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    waaaaay too many to list them all, but some highlights are:

Watching Link's shadow fall dead off of the bottom of the screen in Zelda II...after spending what seemed like an eternity trying to finish that game

Jumping Epona over the fence and riding free in Zelda OOT.

The first time I played a networked game of DOOM. We didn't have a PC at home until after I got to college, so my first exposure to actually playing a game against someone else that wasn't looking at the same screen as me was totally mindblowing. We'd hang out in the computer labs at school all night playing.

Getting yelled at by Dad for hitting the NES controller after screwing up in a game...only to watch the old man smash the controller on the arm of his chair when it was his turn to play.

And pretty much everything about FFVII.