Favorite gaming moment(s)?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ra88, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Since the "Favorite Boss Fight" thread is so popular, I thought I'd start this one.

Simple question: What is/are your favorite gaming moment(s)? This can be anything: From a story event, puzzle, fighting moment, etc.

I'll start off:

-Final Fantasy VII: Death of Aerith. One of the most powerful emotional moments I've ever encountered in a game. I remember that I repeated the part before that 10 times before I accepted that it couldn't be averted.
    -MGS: When Meryl got sniped. Just when you get attached to a character, that happens.
    -Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess: I admit it, the ending had me in tears. :( 
    -Harvest Moon PS2: Everything between the marriage and the ending. Yes, I admit that I played and beat this game when I was 12. I even considered picking up the GC sequel(?) from the budget bin, but thankfully I remembered how time consuming the PS2 one was.
    -Kingdom Hearts 2: The 100 Heartless Battle. MOST. AWESOME. FIGHT. EVER. :D 

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Anything from Shadow of the Colossus, naturally. The shear size of that game was just a little overwhelming.

Caim's final scene in Drakengard II was pretty powerful as well. With the theme from the first game playing, loads of scenes featuring him from both games played, before you finally see him and his dragon die together. The final dialogue on that scene is pretty awesome, too.

On the subject of Drakengard, the first game's "everyone dies" ending was rather odd. I like that for the shear "what the hell?!" aspect of it. Most of the other alternate endings were pretty out there too, but that one was just... weird.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    finishing lucasarts the dig.

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Most random things that can/could happen in the Battlefield games (1942, 2, and 2 Modern Combat - only two cool random things came from BF:V before I gave up on it).

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The tanker bit of MGS2 was awesome. Good directing in those cutscenes.

And near the end of the game, when bad stuff just kept on happening. You know, right before the plot started falling apart.

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Just plain awesome where Snake is walking on the bridge and makes a run for the ship. Blew me away.

The boisterous score in MGS3 also rocked.

7. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

The final cut scene from "Conkers Bad Fur Day" always got me just a bit.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Baldur's Gate 2 - for the PC. Near the end of the game, characters well over 20th level, and you learn you need to get a magic item in the Kobold kingdom. Just as you despair at the thought of hours of pointless, tedious hack and slash, along stumbles a group of cliche'd 1st level characters, whom you can pay to do the deed for you. The dialogue was fantastically funny too.

Star Wars: KOTOR - The big twist. You know what it is.

Zelda TOOT - Discovering you are responsible for destroying the world.

Eternal Darkness - Any of the insanity effects, but most especially the blue screen of death! Also loved when the 1st chapter end with you as the villain.

Wave Race 64 - Coming in 1st on the toughest tracks in rough seas.

Conker - The Great Mighty Poo, the Matrix and Aliens homages, and probably a lot more that I've forgotten.

Psychonauts - Lungfishopolis

Half Life - the silo

Half Life 2 - fight against the tripods

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    There are many momments but a few I can think of .

Zelda- OOT- When link enters Ganondorfs thorne room , sent a chill threw my body.

RE- ( old school on PSX) When Tyrant breaks up on the heliplatform and u rocketlaunche his arse into oblivion..

Super Mario 64-. To see Bowser for the first time and spining him around , was so incredible great but so was the whole Mario 64.

FF7- To much to list. the whole game is just one bad experience.

and much much more.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Stabbing myself in King's Field: The Ancient City (I'm an NPC)
    Pointing at my name in Armored Core 3's US credits and laughing like a maniac.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

-Zelda OoT: Riding horseback through Gerudo Valley with the music playing in the background. Feels so badass.
    -Super Mario 64: All three levels with Bowser.
    -Rogue Squadron III: Taking down an ATAT on foot, and Attack on the Executor.
    -Rogue Squadron II: Strike at the Core of the second Death Star
    -Star Fox 64: Breaking through Area 6.
    -Jedi Knight: Finally getting your light saber.
    -Contra III: Beating just about any boss.
    -Super Mario Bros 3: Finding that second flute in the first world.
    -Knights of the Old Republic: The twist! ...and any time HK47 chimes in.

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I'm not sure if I'm a good judge of great gaming moments, but I'll give it a shot...

Kingdom Hearts 1: The Ending was a majorly impressive yet saddening development and the secret ending just added to the insanity.

Kingdom Hearts II: Roxas fate at the end of the prologue; took you six days to get to it, but in the end all you get for your troubles is the seeming death/obliteration of the supposed main character. I must admit the Battle of 1000 Heartless was impressive, but the cut scenes surrounding it were definately more thrilling then the actual fight itself; I was hoping for at least a Behemoth or two that you'd have to deal with not just 1000 little dudes.

RE3 had a few seriously WTF? moments near the end; of course that's the whole point of the RE series eventhough I've never played anything besides 3 as of yet.

Chrono Trigger: Chrono Dies; seriously that moment makes everything you've accomplished since then seriously messed up, some of those alternate endings were crazy too.

Loads of FFIV were great moments for me; I seriously need to get the GBA/DS ports of the first six titles so I can enjoy them all over again and maybe this time beat them.

The Transformers: Tidal Wave's transform cut scene and the battle following were just massive and totally what a Transformers game needed to be one of the best, a shame Atari never kept the license or made a sequel for Energon like speculated. Plus Cyclonus's entrance and both of Starscream's.

Seriously funny moments in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door; Any of the Bowser events and whenever you were cursed by one of the Black Chests, especially the last one at Keelhaul Key's Pirate Grotto.

That's all I seem to be able to think of; hope they qualify.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Gears of War -facing the Berserker
    Resident Evil 4 -When you turn the freezer off and the Regenerator wakes up
    Knights of the Old Republic -the "twist"
    Resident Evil (1) -The first zombie cinema
    Street Fighter 3 - Shinryuken!
    Killer Instinct -The first time I did Orchid's Ultra Combo. I was pressing buttons frantically through the whole animated sequence. I had no idea it was all canned animation -LOL!
    Ultima 4 -On the Commodore 64. I beat the game!

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Playing Halo 2 with Buzzbeak and Boardwise, 3 on 3 on one of the smaller maps. We're totally pwnz0ring the other side (probably) and all of us are in the spirit, tossing back gentle trash talk, laughing, screaming, joking. Good times by all.

One of the other team is sniping from an easily accessible spot, I jump up in front of him, twin pistols blazing. He screams;

"OH MY GOD! OHMYGODOHMYGOD!"

I empty both pistols in his general direction, taking his health down;

"God can't save you, boy!" I reply.

Buzzbeak, from nowhere, smacks him on the back of the head with a rifle;

"WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?"

We all die laughing.

15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine aren't really gaming moments as in moments from a game, but rather moments in my life that are gaming based.

The first time I played Super Mario Brothers 3. After seeing it on the Wizard, I remember the sheer excitement I had when I saw the game in the store. The case was simple yet beautiful all at once. And after inserting the cartridge, pressing it down into the system and hitting the power button I knew the meaning of bliss.

Dan meets Street Fighter 2. When living in California I used to go hang out with my friend in this predominantly Mexican neighborhood. There was not much for us to do to stay out of trouble, so many days we would go down to the 7-11 and play video games. When Street Fighter 2 was put in we would be there for hours, drinking slushies and pumping quarters into the machine. It was my first real arcade experience with competitive play. Also my earliest memory of placing quarters on the machine to call next game.

Goldeneye sells me a Nintendo 64. Despite being a huge Nintendo fan I had 0 interest in buying a Nintendo 64. A lot of my work friends had one and got together for regular Goldeneye/Mario Kart sessions. One time I was called over for pizza, beer, and gaming. I sat down with that weird looking controller in my hand and dove in to get thoroughly owned by everyone. But I was having the time of my life, both Goldeneye and Mario Kart were such perfect games for getting together with your friends and having a good time. The next week, I bought a Nintendo 64, Goldeneye, and Mario Kart. We had many good gaming sessions after that, and to this day that is still some of the best multiplayer action I have ever been apart of IMO.

The arrival of my Dreamcast. I had the Dreamcast preordered from Sega for their 9-9-99 release, though it came a little late I was prepared for a party. I cleared out some room in my parents garage, my friend brought over a giant TV, and we loaded some coolers with beer and 40's. We then called up all of our friends and had Dreamcast garage parties for a week. It was ALOT of fun.

Samba De Amigo, for hours. Another Dreamcast related entry into the ring. The day I bought Samba de Amigo and the official maracas lead to a LONG gaming session. I figured that since I just dropped over $100 on this stuff that I should get good use out of it. I skipped class that day and started gaming. It was my first rhythm game so it took a while to get the hang of it. Eventually one of my buddies came over after class was done and the two of us played for about 5 hours. We took a dinner break and called over some friends. At first everyone thought it looked "stupid" or "lame" but each one gave it a try and fell in love. The next two days my arms were so damned sore from the maraca madness.

My first experience with Halo. In preparation for the original Xbox release, Microsoft visited the U of I campus (as I am sure they visited many other places) and introduced us in the Computer Science department to the Xbox and Halo. It was a popular event and we were given the opportunity to play the game for a little bit. I already had the system preordered but went anyway to give it a shot since my gear would not arrive for another month or so. It really made me hungry for the system.

Wii like to party. I was one of the many who was completely hyped up to get a Wii, I stood in line for 10 hours on release day in the cold just to get one and dropped about $525 that night for a whole mess of stuff. It would not be until months later when we had an actual Wii party, but it was a good time. My apartment may be small but we crammed several people in there and played alot of Wii sports, Wii play, and Rayman. It may not be as significant as the other events/moments, but it was my first big Wii party and I hope to have many more.

Ok that is enough out of me.

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Jedi Knight - Getting your lightsaber was good, but when the time came to decide if you walked in the Light, or fell to the Dark Side...THAT was a gaming moment.

KOTOR - Yes, the big reveal. I kinda figured it out earlier in the game, but it was still a "Holy Shit! I was right!" moment.

Zelda OoT/Windwaker/TP - Some of the few games I've played that truly felt "Epic" as I played them. Not a single bad moment in those games (barring those god forsaken water temples! :mad  )

FFVIII - Call me a softy, but this is my favorite FF game, and when Squall and Rinoa finally hooked up, I was like "right on dude!"

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - Playing Multiplayer CTF. On the Yavin Temple Map, there was an exploit to "float" above one of the temple entrances. Most people didn't know how to get up there early in the game. I did. This one jackass has to pee or something, and says in the spatial chat "Gotta pee, going to safe spot" while he had the Flag. Well, needless to say, he came back to his corpse and me taking the flag back. Bwaahhaha. He was pissed.

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Sticking a plasma on one of the Banshees that jumps you in the second level of Halo, first time I ever played it.

Following I Love Bees, especially the radio play.

Staying up till the wee hours of the morning playing dress-up the mecha in Armored Core's Garage. (AC1, that is.)

Screaming "What?! What the fuck was that?!" upon beating FF7.

Finding out that the music from Homeworld was too badass to work on my MP3 player.

Xenogears: Fei and Elly hook up.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    :lol 

Okay, that's a great moment right there :) 

19. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

Jedi Knight: when you first get your lightsaber.

Chrono Trigger: when chrono died. that totally rocked my world at the time. then later on when i figured out how to get Magus on my team, he soon became my second fav charactor. and finding all the endings and side quests.

Zelda: Links Awakening: that ending made me cry!

Zelda: OoT, MM: both just blew me away!

Final Fantasy VII: death of arris. and Cloud sorting through his memories.

20. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

God Of War, the ending.

FFVI: when you fail to save the world from being FUBARED!