Favorite G1 season plus ratings

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Apr 16, 2011.

?

G1 Season preference plus ratings

1. Season 1

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Season 2

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Season 3

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Season 4

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Which Season do you guys prefer and what ratings do you give it?

Season 1: 8/10

Season 2: 10/10

Season 3: 4/10

Season 4: 9/10

2. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Season 1: 7/10
    Season 2: 5/10
    Season 3: 7/10
    Season 4: 5/10

3. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season One: 8 / 10
    Season Two: 9 / 10
    Season Three: 1 / 10
    Season Four: 7 / 10

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Season One: 6/10
    Season Two: 7/10
    Season Three: 8/10
    Season Four: 7.5/10

Personally I prefer the more sci-fi themes and darker tones in season 3. Plus, The Rebirth may be overcrowded, but it certainly beats the hell out of some of the utter cheese that seasons 1 and 2 had.

5. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Season 1-7/10
    Season 2-9/10
    Season 3-6/10
    Season 4-6/10

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Season 1 7/10 though some episodes near 9/10
    Season 2 8/10 Fav theme, most characters introduced, Marathon Season.
    Season 3 6/10 Least fav theme, Roddy comedy show, saved by TROOP.
    Season 4 7/10 Not perfect but okay, ended happily with a new Golden Era for Cybertron

7. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    My favorite is Season 2.
    Season 1-8/10
    Season 2-9.5/10
    Season 3-6/10(good episodes like Dark Awaking, Grimlock's New Brain, Bearden Hardest to Bear, Return of Optimus Prime and Call of the Primitives help it)
    Season 4-8/10

8. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Season 2: 9/10
    Season 3: 4/10

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Season 1 - 7/10 - Decent start, although the characters and animation hadn't hit it's stride yet.
    - Season 2 - 7/10 - Much better episodes overall, but doesn't get a higher rating because of the handful of atrocious episodes.
    - Season 3 - 2/10 - A small number of acceptable episodes. Otherwise, the animation is atrocious and the overwhelming majority of the season is unwatchable.
    - Season 4 - 2/10 - Bad animation, a mediocre story and one of the most blatant "advertisement for new toys" episodes in a show that was already a thinly-veiled toy commercial.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Season One -- 10/10
    Season Two -- 8/10
    Season Three -- 3/10
    Season Four -- 5/10

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Season 1 - 4/10 It's pretty bad even for it's time, but considering it's the first season of TFs ever, it's forgivable.
    Season 2 - 7/10 Most of my favourite G1 eps are from this season.
    Season 3 - 5/10 Lot of great concepts, not so great execution, but they tried something different at least.
    Season 4 - 1/10 Just awful in everyway. So many toyplugs, so many non-characters and a stupid, even for G1, plot.

12. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

S1 - 08
    S2 - 09
    S3 - 10
    S4 - 02

I don't like the rushed final three episodes and I don't like the bonding between organics and transformers. I wish the series ended with The return of Otimus Prime part 2. Galvatron shaked Optimus hand and said "There will be no war today Prime" or something similar, would have been a good end!

Season 3 is pretty disliked! But I love it! Sure shitty Akom animation in half of the episodes and a more uneven season then the previous 2 but I love the space-opera that is season 3 :) 
    And (in my book) quite a few awesome episodes; Dark awakening, Chaos, Webworld, Dweller in the depths, The ultimate weapon, The Burden Hardest to Bear.
    Also season 3 have more continuity between the episodes then previous seasons, though the order is usually fucked up somewhat on the various dvd-editions.

13. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

This. I'm pretty much of the exact same mindset.

Season 3 is my favorite because it was unique and had an overall interesting story arc with some of the best animated episodes in the series. (Call of The Primatives, The Killing Jar, Webworld, The Return of Optimus Prime parts 1 & 2 instantly come to mind.) The origins of the Transformers were revealed and there was some actual character development. Ultra Magnus and Cyclonus recieved outstanding characterizations in The Killing Jar, and Rodimus was a deep in depth character through out the entire season.

I don't think you can really put Season 4 in it's own Category because it only had 1 episode that was 3 parts. I thought it was a very good story with interesting developments and really wished the show would have continued on that and been given a proper conclusion. Because The Rebirth to me just seemed like a season premiere that set things up far more than any type of conclusion. As a fan in my childhood, I was left wanting more and never having any closer to The Transformers show because of it.

Season 2 had some of the some of the worst animation in the entire series. (The Core, City of Steel come to mind) but it also had some very good animation. What I dock points for are the silly stories and lack of an over all story arc. It wasn't until at least until the final part of the season any type of continuity or story arc was established. There were also deep self contained stories that stand the test of time like The Golden Lagoon, and The God Gambit. But any season that has an episode that features Kreemzek automatically gets penalized a couple points in my view. *shudders*

Overall what I look for is story. I care about animation, but I'm not as fanatical about it as some people. If I can have a good dub with a good story then I'm entertained. (I guess this is why I eventually came around to TF: Animated.) Of course I would prefer excellent animation because there's only so much bad animation I can take. But for the most part I thought The Transformers gave more good animation than it did terrible, so I'm willing to omit the poorly animated episodes. Besides, some of the worst animated episodes had some excellent stories that were performed extremely well by the cast. (Five Faces of Darkness and The Rebirth sagas are 2 of my favorites in this category. They are 2 of my favorite episodes because of their stories and the performances to bring the stories to life.)

Season 1 is purely nostalgic. It had to start somewhere. Overall I think it was the weakest of all the seasons but I still love it. It's what started it all.

Season 1: 7/10 (Animation wasn't so great as a whole. Some continuity errors as well. There was still a charm about it anyway.)

Season 2: 7.5/10 (More continuity errors conflicting with season 1. Horribly animated episodes with cheesy stories, but saved by good animated episodes and the continuity created by episodes like Key To Vector Sigma, War Dawn, Starscreams Brigade, Revenge of Bruticus and some others.)

Season 3: 8.5/10 (Loved the distinct style, the adventures in different worlds, the story arc, the writing/continuity, but suffers from bad animation on occasion. Overall, the dark tone is what I loved most.)

Season 4: 7/10 (Lossed points because of the AKOM animation and the lack of a proper finale to end the series.)

14. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is hard.

Season 1 Is the only season with a definitive beginning, middle, end. But MOST of what makes Transformers a franchise worth loving, most of what has become Transformer recurring themes, and most of the memorable moments outside the movie were introduced here.

Think about it. Crashing four million years ago, resuming the fight in 1984. Megatron makes several ultimate weapons, that blow up in his face, for the first time. Megatron unleases his master plan, for the first time. Starscream betrays Megatron openly, for the first time. The Autobots and Decepticons grow their ranks by adding new characters (toys) for the first time. And the season ends with an all out battle between the Autobots and Decepticons, that sees the Original Dinobots face off against the Original Combiner, Devastator. These themes, these rivalries have shown up time and time again, and they were NEW here at the time.

Season 2 is obviously, the "toy selling" season. That's not to its detriment, because this lead to episodes like the Secret of Omega Supreme and the Key to Vector Sigma Parts 1 and 2. But it is far more episodic and the internal continuity that is present in Season 1 and 3 just isn't there.

Season 3 started very strong. The Five Faces of Darknesss had a plotting tightness that wasn't seen really until Season 2 of Beast Wars, and then after that, Transformers Animated! It was a mix between Season 1's internal continuity, and Season 2's "episodes to sell toys". The pacing was certainly great, but this season had some really weak episodes, and Transformers in space could have been done better (and decades later, was).

Season 4... the Rebirth. Well what to say about it. It was blatantly a toy-selling episode, the likes of which we wouldn't see again until RiD. But it also offered a very interesting continuity-tight clean up of G1. The Autobots start off controlling Cybertrn and having a fully populated Autobot City. Galvatron conquers Cybertron, turning it into a mobile fortress. And Cybertron gets its Golden Age back that is litterally golden. And on top of that its filled with cool moments like bringing back Vector Sigma (which they didn't HAVE to do given how continuity-light Transformers can be sometimes). And my personal favorite moment: Optimus Prime leading the Autobot counterassault charge out of Autobot City. Compare that to where the autobots were in Season 1, and it shows how the series has flourished.

Overall I have to say Season 1 is my favorite, if only due to the number of archetypal "firsts" it had that's hard to top.

That said, I watched high quality fan-dubbed Headmasters recently and have fallen in love with it. Especially the first few episodes: it's all your favorite 1984/1985 characters, interacting with all your favorite post-movie characters, with Transformers having all the advantages of 2011 (control of Cybertron, Autobot City, very large and deep armies). If it was US Dubbed and part of US G1, there would be no comparison... this series is strong in so many ways.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

Season 1 - 9/10
    Season 2 - 10/10
    Season 3 - 8/10
    Season 4 - 7/10

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Season 2 is my fav. I'll put on my rose-tinted glasses to rate them sinceALL of G1 is hard for me to get through these days.

Season 1- 7/10
    Season 2- 8/10
    Season 3- 7/10
    Season 4- 4/10

I realize "Season 4" was just flat out rushed but I still don't think I'd like the storyline that much even if it was extended out for a full season.

17. DrArkeville

DrArkeville Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Season 2: 10/10
    Season 3: 6/10