Favorite G1 Episodes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Deefuzz, May 31, 2006.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For whatever reason I pulled out the box sets and started from the beginning and went through all 98 episodes recently (over the last few weeks anyways), and it got me thinking. What are some people's favorite episodes? I haven't really seen that addressed anywhere on here at all, and I am sure people have to have some favorites, top 5 or top 10 episodes?

Some of my favorites (in no particular order):

The Key to Vector Sigma (both parts)
    The Burden Hardest to Bear
    Grimlock's New Brain
    Starscream's Brigade
    Call of the Primatives
    Starscream's Ghost
    Ghost in the Machine
    Forever is a Long Time Coming
    Rebirth (because I love the Headmasters)
    The Secret of Omega Supreme

And I will limit it to that...Seems as thought I liked more of the Season 3/4 stuff than seasons 1 and 2.

What are your picks?

2. Zylly

Zylly Member

Kreemzeek
    Atlantis, Arise!
    --Both of these eps make my list simply because of their sheer kinetic lunacy. They're just fun in a box.

Traitor
    --A reasonably powerful second season episode, with some focus on a couple of Autobots who don't otherwise get to do too terribly much.

Five Faces of Darkness
    --Taking these five as one ep, if only because they're the first of the new status quo, with good introductions to all the new cast, for those who missed the movie.

Webworld
    --A rare (in those days, anyway) Decepticon-centric episode, that leaves you feeling sorry for Galvatron.

Only Human
    --Just totally different and quirky. Plus it had Cobra Commander!

Triple Takeover
    Master Builder
    Auto-Berserk
    --A trio of very fun episodes with cool little character focuses as their nexus.

And the number one episode for me...

The Golden Lagoon. One of the most powerful episodes of any 80s cartoon, with the perfect "We won..." as a last line.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like this particular one where these metal tentacle spores were attacking earth. they were impervious to attacks, at one point the bots gave up physical assault and blaster put on his rock music which repelled them.

at that point, prime, clasping his ears, er, antennae, goes, i paraphrase, "even they hate your music, blaster. plants ARE intelligent!"

dick.

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Mine are:

War Dawn
    The key to Vector Sigma 1+2
    Child's play
    Microbots
    Autobot Spike
    Cosmic Rust
    The secret of Omega Supreme.

Of course all these are not in a particulat order.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Soem great picks so far. I've got to admit, the Key to Vector Sigma Part 2 has one of my favourite scenes out of all the TF series. If only it'd followed the original script which had Omega Supreme's fate be far more bleak, the final scene would have seemed that much cooler. Still a great episode.

Others - Traitor was indeed a good one, as was Dark Awakening and Burden Hardest to Bear. The latter two comprise the two best episodes for the development of Rodimus, with those he finally got out of Optimus' shadow.
    I was also always partial to Call of the Primitives for its incredible animation, in spite of the so-so story.

6. Zylly

Zylly Member

Hmm? What did the original script call for?

7. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

"Prime Target"
    "Atlantis"
    "MTMTE"

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Cosmic Rust
    Call of the Primitives
    5 Faces of Darkness

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Two words:

Make. Tracks.

Only in New Jersey could a TRANSFORMER get stolen having been mistaken for a car...

10. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

"Only Human" - Like it was said, the cameo by Cobra Commander was awesome.
    "War Dawn" - Prime's Origin
    "Key To Vector Sigma"
    "Starscreams Brigade" - Bruticus is beast
    "5 Faces of Darkness"
    "More Than Meets The Eye"
    "Return of Optimus Prime" - One of the first episodes I ever saw.

....there's probably more but I just can't think of em at the moment.

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's mine! Also in no particular order, except the first one which is my favorite...

1. Webworld: Brilliant episode! Galvatron's insanity explored, funny scenes with the other patients, Cyclonus signing papers, Galvatron constructing guns and lashing at people. Galvatron's mind being too much for the planet and it being destroyed by his mental instability was a great ending. It's an episode where the Decepticons essentially get to win an episode finally too.

2. Nightmare Planet. This was fun. The dialogue was great too, Razorclaw saying "Be careful Springer" in a mocking voice, "A yellow brick road?" was funny. I liked the funhouse scene, the whole thing was cool.

3. Dweller in the Depths: I like the darker episodes, andthe monsters sucking the life out of Transformers ws cool.

4. Burden Hardest to Bare: Sure Rodimus was lame in this episode. He didn't care about the matrix? But it was nice to see the leader of the Autobots feeling pressure from his role, as this is something that happens in real life.

5. Dark Awakening: The animation was lame, but the story was great. I liked that even though Rodimus was the current leader in the spotlight that was being pumped to sell toys, that Optimus still kicked his ass. Optimus Prime was brilliant in this episode.

6. Five Faces of Darkness: Good intro story for the movie guys. However I still haven't favored the Quintesson origin story as much as I have the Primus origin. And if the Quintessons built them, where did the power of the matrix come from if Primus wasn't the source? Regardless, I liked the space epic feel to this.

7. Cosmic Rust: Optimus rescues his comrade regardless of being infected. Megatron's "Now look what you've done!" when his hand falls off is cool.

8. Auto Berserk: I'm not crazy!!

9. Return Of Optimus Prime: Sure it sort of contridicted Dark Awakening, but Optimus Prime was back! I was always dissapointed that between this and Rebirth that we never ever got to see a fight between Optimus Prime and Galvatron. I would've liked a real season 4 too just because it would've been nice to see more of Optimus and Galvatron being the leaders. The japanese stuff doesn't count as our continuity as far as I'm concerned. How dare they kill Prime back off?

10. Traitor: This episode made me like Mirage. A guy trying his best but still isn't accepted by his team mates, I understand the feeling.

I like more than these, and it was hard to narrow it down to just 10.

One I used to really like when I was younger was Call of the Primitives, but I really don't care for it anymore. Some geek in a lab created Unicron? Come on! Who was the caller suppose to be? Was it the matrix, is that what I caught from the flashback? That's kind of lame. How was that rock "home"? I don't get it.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first part originally featured Omega Supreme battling Shockwave while the other Autobots were mucking about down in the depths of the planet (there's a vestigal reference to this by Ironhide in the finished version of pt 2), and the big guy wound up nailed by a "cyber bomb." He then proceeded to repair himself as best he could in order to get the other Autobots back to Earth to stop the Stunticons, but deemed his own chances of survival negligible. He held himself together long enough to do so, then, as in the episode, a'sploded. It is THIS revelation, delivered harshly by Sparkplug, that convinces the Aerialbots that the Autobots are noble beings and worth fighting for, rather than Sparkplug's ability to keep on trucking.

The dialogue was actually recorded this way - in the finished ep, after they realise that Sparkplug can keep on going, Silverbolt makes the non-sequiter remark that this somehow means they "owe the Autobots their lives." It is Omega's sacrifice he is referencing.

Some of my picks include:

"Five Faces of Darkness" - crapped-out animation mars the most complex, intelligently-written story the G1 cartoon did.

"War Dawn" - it's just GOOD.

"Megatron's Master Plan" - terrible continuity between the two episodes and somewhat unbelievably fickle behaviour of humans don't get in the way of a startlingly dark story that shows us what would happen if Megatron actually WON. One of the few G1 eps to truly present Megatron as a competant, dangerous threat to humanity at large. Plus you didn't get many other shows telling stories about corrupt, bitter ex-mayoral candidates with private armies and axes to gind.

"Sea Change" - catches WAAAY too much flak because of the scene where Seaspray becomes humanoid. Like "The Golden Lagoon," it is one of a small number of episodes with a real message, in this case being that you must be true to yourself, and allow other to be true to themselves, and that you don't have to be like someone to love them. The scene in which Seaspray questions whether or not he is truly even alive is utterly brilliant and ground that I don't think TF fiction has ever touched upon otherwise.

"The God Gambit" - the OTHER episode with the real message, which is a really daring one for a kid's show, dealing with the dangers of religious obsession and blind faith. I adore the scene where, betrayed by the Decepticons, the Titanians turn to the Autobots and beg them: "Save us... and... and... we will worship you!" because it's all they know how to do. Top stuff.

13. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

You know, this actually reminds me... I was watching season 3 for the first time since I was little the other day, and it seemed to me like the Ghost in the Machine story and the one before it featuring Octane and Sandstorm (Traitor?) was actually meant for Blitzwing in an early phase of the writing. Octane even mentions almost the exact words of Galvatron - something about never being welcome in the ranks of the Decepticons again, even though the reasoning is slightly different.

Anyone? And I'll agree that most of my favorites are Season 3.

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

1) Traitor;I agree with the overall majority on this.Traitor IIRC is one of the few G1 episodes that IMPO dealt with good character development.And the ending was hilarious

2)Desertion Of the Dinobots;Brought an end to Grimlock's rivalry with Optimus Prime.

3)Dweller in the Depths;An episode that brings credability to Cybertron supporting organic life

4)Chaos;I just generally liked this episode.Guess it's because it used the Predacons well

5)Megatron's Master Plan Pt.2;Rumble gettin' jiggy. 'Nuff said :D 

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

In no particular order -

Season 1

MTMTE - I love seeing all the pre-Earth modes. For a cartoon meant to sell toys, there are lots of nice character moments and a solid sci-fi concept of sentient robots behind the pilot.

Fire in the Sky - Starscream's past.

Fire on the Mountain - Seeker character development, "squash and stretch" Bumblebee gag.

Heavy Metal War - Best Op vs. Megs until the movie.

Season 2

Attack of the Autobots - The first episode I ever saw and made me a fan for life, great Bumblebee moments.

The Imobilizer - Carly's intro, lots of Bumblebee, nice characterization for Ironhide.

Auto-bop - Blaster vs. Soundwave.

The Key to Vector Sigma - just a really good story, love the switch of Decepticon cars and Autobot jets.

War Dawn - Cybertron's past, continuity with Key to Vector Sigma, just a really good story.

Trans-Europe Express - Autobots in a race, Bumblebee does Herbie the Love Bug, Stunticon mayhem, Bluesteak gets to actually do something.

Starcream's Brigade/Revenge of Bruticus - Quentisential Screamer, and Combaticons rock!

Masquerade - Autobots undercover (many of whom have been overshadowed by newer characters at this point in the run), Op vs. Motor Master for King of the Road (very memorable scene).

Season 3

Five Faces of Darkness - Epic stuff and a great continuation after the movie.

Dark Awakening - do I really need to explain this one?

Starscream's Ghost/Ghost in the Machine - Starscream's not dead! And he's as much a troublemeaker as ever.

Nightmare Planet - an interesting scenario that utilizes the characters in it well. The only other show I've seen do a bizzare episode like this, this well is Darkwing Duck's "Ghoul of My Dreams."

Only Human - interesting concept that is the opposite of Autobot Spike and Cobra Commander!

The Burdon Hardest to Bear - Quentisential Rodimus and I love Rodimus, plus the intersting Japanese setting and karate master.

16. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Ultimate doom 1,2,&3

Almost all the characters were involved in the storyline (even Windcharger); first real story revolving around Cybertron; awesome animation...

17. SkyfireMike

SkyfireMike Cybertron's Chief BOFH

Ebay:
    Long list HO! I love G1. It's not even my favorite, either (Beast Wars would be that).

Fire in the Sky: Skyfire gets his 20 minutes of fame before getting buried again. He gets no respect, I tell ya.

Countdown to Extinction - a great "sequel" to The Ultimate Doom. It's never really touched on except at the beginning exactly how totally SLAGGED Earth was as a result of Cybertron entering orbit. That always got me - it would've caused worldwide chaos and probably many thousands dead and more injured. As for the episode, Starscream's machinations were amazing, and I enjoyed his interaction with Shockwave. Megatron at his best as well, fighting with Prime over the generator, then cooperating to get it off the planet when he finally realized what was happening. "Welcome home, *noble voyager!*"

Traitor - everybody that thought they were right about Mirage ended up being totally wrong, even Cliffjumper.

The Immobilizer - just for Starscream begging Megatron to let him transform again, and Megatron screwing with his head before finally letting him go. Hilarious.

Day of the Machines - I love the idea of Megatron using his brain to take over another machine. It shows that hey, these guys are machines, too.

A Prime Problem - Starscream running again before Megatron sends Laserbeak to get him back. Starscream's stupid. :) 

The Insecticon Syndrome: Shrapnel go blooey. Shrapnel pulls himself together!

Microbots: DRUNK DECEPTICONS. I mean, how cool is that? Plus Megatron's EVIL BRAIN IMPULSES!

Megatron's Master Plan: For the reason mentioned: for at least one episode, Megatron WON.

The God Gambit: "These fools worship Transformers!"

Kremzeek!: Except for Webworld, the funniest G1 ep ever. "What's the plan, Prime?" "We'll worry about that when we catch him!" "You mean you don't have a plan?" "Who's had time to think of a plan?" And Prime crashing into the train in front of him: "Ouch!"

Triple Takeover: Blitzwing listening to a football coach and lobbing shots out of a football stadium. Priceless. "Get this straight: *I* am Decepticon leader. *You* are recycleable!"

Hoist Goes Hollywood: Hoist the humankiller, through the magic of Hollywood.

The Key to Vector Sigma: Just watched this a couple of days ago, and it still rules - plus it paved the way to Beast Machines!

Cosmic Rust: "NOW look what you've done!"

Starscream's Brigade/The Revenge of Bruticus: I love Starscream building the Combaticons out of leftovers, and the Combaticons essentially taking over Cybertron in five minutes.

Masquerade: "A flying car! How DROLL!"

Dark Awakening: Optimus Prime, one arm and all, beats the crap outta Hot Rod. Hell yeah.

Starscream's Ghost: Simply awesome, just because it had Starscream causing general mayhem.

Ghost in the Machine: Starscream's Ghost but better, including Unicron!

Webworld: What more needs to be said about this ep? Galvatron at a galactic shrink, Cyclonus signing paperwork, Galvatron building a gun and driving a planet insane.

Carnage in C-Minor: For all the wrong reasons.

Grimlock's New Brain: More Unicron fun, and the debut of the Technobots, my favorite sub-group.

The Burden Hardest to Bear: Scourge gets all melty and Hot Rod learns his lesson. Plus, Galvatron and Cyclonus bond a bit to take down Scourge. "Then this too is the FAULT OF THE MATRIX!" *BLAM*

The Return of Optimus Prime: Optimus makes it two for two, taking down Rodimus Prime at full insane power, then saving the universe again. Even Galvatron had to give him props for that.

I swear, even most of the bad G1 eps still had at least some funny dialogue that made it worth watching.

Mike

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me its:

1. MTMTE - the story arc that started off everything! Cool to see Cyberton and all.

2. War Dawn - the origins of Optimus Prime

3. Burden Hardest to Bear - Good story writing. The part where Hot Rod accepts his responsibility was quite well-dome - IMO.

4. Call of the Primitives - Entertaining episode and great animation!

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome, glad to see so many people taking part in this topic, some real good picks out there. After reading some I must append my list to include some key episodes I was missing...it will bump my list above 10 but probably remain below 15.

Dark Awakening
    Webworld
    War Dawn
    Return of Optimus Prime

Mainly for quite a bit of the reasons already outlined by some of the fine people in this thread.

Thanks for your input guys, seems like there is a bit of diversity out there, but a select few that show up on multiple lists. :) 

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Flight or Flee
    War Dawn
    The Search of Alpha Trion