Favorite Dreamworks Animation Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rusty24, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

What are some of your favorite Dreamworks Animation movies. You can pick either the CGI ones or the hand-drawn ones?

My personal favorite is How To Train Your Dragon. That movie is just mind-blowing to me. It doesn't even feel like it was made by Dreamworks. In fact, it feels a lot more like a Pixar movie. The humor was witty and it didn't try too hard to be funny. The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless was emotional and well-developed. The romance in the movie worked and the two leads had chemistry. The score was really good. The voice acting was pretty good as well. The animation is fantastic and it really shines in the epic final battle. The ending was just plain brilliant and well thought out.

My second favorite is the original Shrek. I watched it hundreds of times as a kid. It never failed to make me laugh. As I got older, I realized that movie is still really funny as an adult and that it has many jokes for children as well as a bunch of jokes that adults will laugh at.

My third and fourth favorites are the Kung Fu Panda movies. They're great family movies and they're also pretty dark too. I like both of them about the same, but if I had to choose, I would say that the second is better than the first because I liked Po's character arc in that movie. The villains in these movies are really well-written and they're neither bad for badness sake or bad because they had a crappy life that led them down the wrong path. The fight scenes and the score are incredible and match the Asian backdrop well. At one point I said to myself that the people who made these should have made The Last Airbender movie. This also has great voice acting in it and the voices match the characters well.

My fifth favorite is a tie between Shrek 2 and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. Shrek 2 isn't as good as the first, but it's still highly entertaining and it introduces my favorite Shrek character; Puss in Boots. Spirit is a ballsy movie for Dreamworks because it is more for older children, teenagers, and adults. The animals don't talk and it's basically the better version of War Horse. It's more like Dances With Wolves than Disney's Home on the Range.

2. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    All i have seen so far (there are some i havent seen)

3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

A 2-way tie between Shrek (first) and Ant Bully.

4. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    Either How To Train Your Dragon, or the two Kung Fu Panda movies.

Ant Bully is Warner Brothers, unless you're thinking of Antz.

5. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Whoops, my bad.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i do not have one favorite, but i do have a list of favorites.

in no order at all;

aliens vs monsters
    megamind
    antz
    the prince of egypt
    how to train your dragon
    The Road to El Dorado
    Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
    Shriek 1 and 2

and the rest i either have not seen, or did not care for.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    THE PRINCE OF EGYPT – One of the greatest NON-Disney hand-drawn animated films of all time. An animated remake of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, this film follows the life of the Hebrew prophet Moses, who was raised as the Prince of Egypt but is guided to his true destiny of freeing his people from the tyrannical Egyptians.

It was a grand sumptuous spectacle, with stellar voice casting by Ralph Fiennes (Ramses), Sandra Bullock (Miriam), (Tzipporah), Patrick Stewart (Pharoah) and Val Kilmer as Moses; superb thousand-crew animation for incredible visual scenes; a grand script that brings depth to all its characters; and excellent music, as this number proves:
    The Prince of Egypt -The Plagues HQ - YouTube

SHREK – One of the finest fairytales ever. It’s a brilliant lampoon of everything Disney is famed for: the handsome prince is a vain midget, he sends an ogre to do his dirty work, the ogre gets stuck with a talking donkey (Eddie Murphy’s finest roles ever) who ends up in a relationship with a fearsome dragon... and yet makes it work, producing one of the best fairytale romances of all time between a lonely withdrawn ogre and a princess who has more in common with him than expected...

All the sequels were okay to some level, but this was an instant classic, with humorous yet heartfelt moments from Mike Myers, John Lithgow, Cameron Diaz and of course Murphy himself. It definitely deserved its Oscar, and has become DW’s mascot tune:
    Shrek hallelujah original scene (great sound, bad video quality) - YouTube

MEGAMIND – This was a way better film than THE INCREDIBLES IMO. It’s a superhero comedy about a supervillain who achieves the ultimate victory and destroys his superhero rival, but finds himself without purpose. This was not just a parody/homage of the superhero genre, but stands on its own as a great tale, about a bad guy who’s only been typecast as bad, and who attempts to try to be more than what society/destiny marked him out to be.

Incredibly vocal talents from Will Ferrell, David Cross, Tina Fey, Brad Pitt and a surprisingly badass villain role by Jonah Hill. Oh, and check out this epic skyscraper moment:
    Megamind - Welcome to the Jungle Guns N' Roses Presentation HD - YouTube

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How To Train Your Dragon, by a considerable margin. While Dreamworks' CG-animated movies were fine from a technical standpoint, I always found the stories to be lacking - HTTYD was the nearest they've got to rivalling Pixar's better productions.

9. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

Kung Fu Panda
    Wallace and Gromit
    Antz

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Prince of Egypt is probably the best they've ever made but I think the one I enjoy watching most is Kung Fu Panda.

11. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say the Kung Fu Panda movies are my favorites followed closely by How to Train Your Dragon (which originally wasn’t as high on the list but it has grown on me with repeat viewings). Flushed Away, Shrek 2 and Shrek round out the top 5.

1. Kung Fu Panda 1/2 (tie)
    2. HTTYD
    3. Flushed Away
    4. Shrek 2
    5. Shrek

Honorable mention goes to Monsters Vs. Aliens and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (which I think was pretty underrated).

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like Prince of Egypt, Shrek and Kung Fu Panda.

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    This. Last time I watched it I actually cried...

14. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

The Prince of Egypt, easily. I also love How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda and Shrek 2 were both good. Also, Road to El Dorado was hilarious.

The weird thing is I hated Shrek 1.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot The Prince of Egypt. I love that movie it's still around the number four or five spot for me though. I think a lot of their hand drawn animations are underrated. Sinbad was an entertaining swashbuckling adventure movie. Since I'm interested in Greek mythology, I didn't mind them changing it from Arab to Greek. Road to El Dorado is also pretty fun.

I have to say though, they have always played second fiddle to Pixar, but they are definitely stepping their game up. How To Train Your Dragon was fantastic and the Kung Fu Panda movies have managed to tell stories that both children and adults can enjoy. They also have this new movie coming out called Me and My Shadow; the premise sounds very Pixar-like. I think they're also making that Rise of the Guardians movie that comes out at the end of this year and that could be pretty good.

16. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

Megamind and both Kung Fu Pandas

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd have to go with...

HTTYD
    Shrek (s)
    Spirit...Cimarron

18. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I really enjoy how to train your dragon and Kung fu panda movies.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Transformers

There, I said it

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits: