Favorite Character/Favorite Toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, May 1, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Do you like a toy based on character, or based on toy? Do you buy toy's that are based on the character simply because you loved the character? Did your favorite character become your favorite toy? And finally, do you have a favorite toy of who's character you didn't like?

2. Maloknazh

Maloknazh @MalwareSculpts

Ebay:
    Fav Character: Animated Shockwave
    Fav Toy: Movie 2 Starscream.

I definitely bought Animated Shockwave after his character, and though a piece was missing I still love it. Now Starscream, another character I love, is great. Only problem for me is the hands, but otherwise is fantastic.

I didnt like Universe Dinobot, I like Dinobot but his Universe incarnation is just... meh.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  3. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

My favorite is Animated Starscream :D 
    I have every single repaint and mold that is currently available to me >.>
    Activators: Starscream and Thundercracker
    Legends: Starscream
    Voyagers: Starscream, Skywarp, and Sunstorm.

I am such a fangirl.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually buy toys based on the toy itself: does it look nice in both modes and have a decent playability/posability factor. As a kid, my favorite character was Prowl, so Prowl was one of the first toys I bought, and when Universe Prowl came out I bought him mainly for nostalgia.

I was a proportion nazi as a kid (and I'll cop to it as an adult as well), so I gravitated toward figures that looked proportional in robot mode. I was very bothered by tiny heads on huge bodies and stayed away from most of those toys, whether I liked the characters or not. I recall that when I wanted to buy an Insecticon, I went with Kickback because he had a nice large head and he "looked" the best as a robot, despite the fact that his character was the least interesting of the Insecticons.

I was a car fan more than a jet fan. Bought all the Stunticons, passed on all the Aerialbots. (And as a proportion nazi, I had big problems with Superion's skinny, spindly legs.) Tried to buy just about everybody with a car alt-mode (though, curiously, when the time came to buy a Headmaster I went with Hardhead instead of Chromedome. What was going through my head THAT day?).

I was not at all interested in characters who weren't in the cartoon, so I never picked up Whirl, Roadbuster or the Deluxe Insecticons. On the other hand, I was given Topspin as a present and felt compelled to buy Twin Twist to complete the set. I had an interest in Astrotrain (and in fact own Blitzwing and Octane), but I wanted the gray-and-purple version that was pictured in the checklist, not the white thing they were calling Astrotrain in the toy store.

Back in the day, I was more interested in the characters as a big fan of the cartoon and the comics. These days, it's more about the toys for me, as I haven't watched a cartoon religiously since Beast Machines (buy the DVDs, but have trouble scheduling time to watch them), and though I buy the IDW comics, there are some I have had for months that I still haven't read. (Harder for this old brain to keep up with what's going on month to month, so I usually save them up and read several in one sitting.) Almost every toy these days has extensive playability/posability, so that's not an issue anymore. Now it's all about buying whichever toy looks coolest.

One of my favorite toys is Energon Galvatron, but I have never been a big Galvatron fan in any of his incarnations. (I have trouble with the logic of being unable to beat/incarcerate a character who essentialy can't think straight, and he [G1 Galvatron, anyway] has always seemed painfully one-dimensional to me.) I like the toy because its transformation is engaging but not overly complex and it's a great homage to the look of the original character. I never owned the G1 Galvatron toy; probably a combination of being expensive, not looking all that close to what the cartoon looked like, and a general disinterest in the character.

Keep the questions coming!

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter - I typically buy toys of characters I like, but I'll buy toys that just seem cool too.

Yes.

Yes (this is preemptive seeing as how I've built up ROTF Leader Screamer in my mind so much).

Um...I have deliberately avoided ever buying any Hot Rod or Rattrap toys because I can't stand them, and they're the only TF characters I would say I flat-out don't like.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They're a few characters I'll always buy no matter what such as Hot Rod/Rodimus, which is my favorite character, and Optimus Prime for obvious reasons.

For general toys, I'll buy em based off of factors like alt/robot mode, color scheme, etc.

7. Unicron the Pla

Unicron the Pla Cybertronian Accountant

I usually tend to buy the toys base on the toy itself. But there is a few of them that I have bought just because of how much I liked the character. Like the Original Soundwave on the count of him being one of my favorite character. I also bought Animated Leader Megatron after I saw him in the show. But there is one character that I have bought every toy ever made of him just because of the fact he is my favorite character. Ratbat, dough it really dosent have much merit I have all Ratbat toys, and any time he is ever release in toy form I simply buy him straight up. Oddly enough he always comes with some other guys, wherever it happens to be Soundwave, Springer or the other casset bots.

8. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I buy all my toys/figures based on their characters/importance in the show, this applies to non-Transformers too, I don't see the point in having figures of nobodies on my shelves. For me a good character can makes a bad toy more likable but a great toy no mater how great cant make a character more likable. I think of it like this, I collect physical representations of stuff I like, not physical representations I like of stuff.

My favourite Transformers toy is Air Attack Optimus Primal. It has it faults as a toy but it packed full of features, super show accurate and most importantly a lot of character.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

My favorite character is Barricade from the 07 movie, so naturally my favorite toy would be all of the Barricade figures Hasbro came out with, especially Human Alliance Barricade. :D 

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    Favourite Toy-Recon Ironhide. So many weapons.
    Favourite Character- Transmetal 2 Megatron. Love the dragon alt mode.

11. Tigertrack

Thank's guys.
    My three favorite characters also happen to be my favorite toys. Sideswipe, Smokescreen, and Jazz.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I'd go for Alternators Battle Ravage, who still currently is my favorite Transformer simply because I think he's awesome in both figure and in the character given to him in the Binaltech story (namely, he's the one responsible for screwing up the timeline and resurecting Shockwave as a Mazda RX-8 retool.)

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    In most cases, just the toy. In some cases, both.

Sometimes, yes.

Nope.

Don't think so, no.

14. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Masterpiece Skywarp. Given the outstanding price point (£20 in my case), it's unbelievable value. It's also one of the finest, kibble free transformers i've ever seen, better than MP Prime in my opinion. Yeah, perhaps not a toy as much as a collectors piece, but it's currently my favourite, perhaps because I recall my friend had Skywarp when I was young, but Starscream was very rare for some reason.
    Personally, I love Prowl and Jazz, but the G1 toys are a bit of a disappointment.

15. Tigertrack

Were any of those favorite "characters"?

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Im a sucker for primes just wish i had the cash to buy all the ones currently out there!

my Current fave figure is still my 25th aniv. G1 Optimus prime.

17. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Until all are one!

News Credits:
    Since we're talking about favorite character, I like the character and the toy, which is Hotrod and later on Crystal Hot Rodimus

Mostly, buying a toy if I like it... Brave Maximus is not much of a character in car robots/RID but hands down the best fort max redeco. Buy along the extra accesories like the god sword and the rest on ebay and you get one of the best transformers toy IMO.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  18. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

I'm pretty sure we have a ton of these threads.

19. Tigertrack

I'm sure we have multiple threads of multiple topics.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

Both.

Yes.

No.

No.