Favorite BW "Other" Character?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chopperface, May 9, 2010.

?

Favorite BW "Other" Character?

Poll closed May 16, 2010.
  1. Snowstalker

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Transmutate

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Leader of the ProtoMonkeys

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Chak and Una

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. TriPredacus Council

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  6. Starscream

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. The Vok

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Aside from the Maximals and Predacons, there were a couple of people who could be seen as recurring minor characters almost. The protomonkeys, Transmutate, the Protomonkey King, and maybe even Snowstalker.

The next Beast Era poll will be over Beast Machines.

EDIT: Oh CRAP. I forgot to make the poll multiple choice. DAMN.

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmm... Well although the Vok arguably had the biggest impact on the series, at least storyline wise, I voted for Transmutate. Probably had the biggest emotional impact in the shortest amount of screen time. I really liked him, despite his clumsy childlike aggression. He really did come through in the end and left you with something to think about at the end of the episode.

Heck, his impact was such that he became an actual toy as a result, even if you did have to collect him piece by piece with the Hasbro 10th anniversary figures.

You don't see any protomonkey toys out there do ya?

3. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

I always got the idea that Transmutate was a she.

Anyways, I voted for Starscream because he was the first 'real' proof that the Beast Wars was linked to the G1 continuity. This allowed for a huge backstory and many connecting stories between the two.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted for Transmutate.

I always thought it was a "she" too just because it was voiced by Susan Blu. I suppose it doesn't really matter either way. Like Auto Morph said, it was a powerful episode, and still gives me chills to this day whenever I hear Transmutate's final screams. It also showed another side to Rampage, and showed us that even the good guys with the best of intentions don't always get it right. Silverbolt was quite disgusted with his fellow Maximals during this ep.

Snowstalker provided some character development for Tigatron, but seeing as how I don't especially like ol' stripes, I don't really care.

Chak and Una were fun for a couple episodes. I thought it was funny how Una was trying to imitate Blackarachnia and later when Megatron tried to recruit her assistance. Pure comedy gold. :D 
    Chak didn't really do anything except grunt and play second fiddle to Una.

King of the protohumans added a bit of validation to Dinobot's sacrifice. Having him there showed that it wasn't all for nothing, and that Dinobot died defending something worthwhile. Aside from that, the guy didn't really contribute anything of significance.

Starscream was cool to see just for the G1 connection, but more for showing just how badass Waspinator could be if he only knew how to use his own strengths to their fullest. And even then, Starscream still got beat. *L*

The Vok were cool more for their presence than their actual personalities. We see their constructs more than we see them, so any impression I get of them is derived mainly from their cool toys. The planet buster was an epic way to finish the first season. The flying island was in the first episode I ever saw of BW and blew me away. The giant giffy pop thing was cool too, as was Tigerhawk's big introduction. And the first time I saw Nexus Zero, my jaw dropped. That was an amazingly beautiful shot of space for what amounted to a 30 second bit. Still, we never really found out what they were up to or what they were about. Speculation is still only speculation.

The Tripedicus Counsel served as a mere plot device to set up Ravage's introduction. All we really get from them is a state of affairs on Cybertron (Maximals are a bunch of meanies! Waaah!) and Ravage. There's nothing really there to work with.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Starscream for me, his treachery is always a welcomed addition to any series.

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Mako_Crab has convinced me to vote for Transmutate. She really made the episode stand out.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted for the TriPredacus Council. I always wanted to learn more about them.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Transmutate

9. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Transmutate. I still hold that up showing what cartoons are capable of, in the hands of the right writers and voice cast.

Poor thing...never had a chance. Her (I guess I go with "her") presence also helped "humanize" Rampage without, for a moment, making him redeemable or sympathetic. That ship sailed before we even met him.

- Coeloptera

10. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I voted Screamer, but Transmutate was close. BW was full of rich characters, it's a hard decision just to pick up one.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tripredicus Council, because they could, in theory combine into Tripredicus, who is pretty badass himself.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm happy with either 'gender' for Transmutate. Never really thought about it before...

Although is it wrong that the Tripredicus Council reminds me of these guys?

[​IMG]

13. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why no Ravage?

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Ravage is in my Favorite Predacon thread. Look into my threads posted page. :) 

15. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The Triptedacus Council

16. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

jeeze dudes, how on earth does transmutate warrant a mention, let alone half the vote :D  he was a rubbish character in one of the weakest episodes of BW. just because an episode thinks it has gravitas and complex moral ambiguity doesn't mean it actually does.

I went for TriPredicus council - they were the only ones i wanted to see more of. Starscream is cool and all but thankfully his cameo didn't become a regular appearance. Would definitely liked to have seen the TPC manipulating things from behind the scenes on the maximal's return to cybertron rather than the BM demi-reboot stuff.

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the weakest. . . ? Wow. Okay then, well . . . well, well!

18. chugway

Pretty much. It's a rubbish episode,

It doesn't fit into the overall storyarc anywhere in particular, and coming hot on the heels of arguably one of the best storylines in any Transformers series it lacks the power and emotional impact of Code of Hero in almost every department - it's a pale imitation of the Dinobot stuff's more overtly challenging themes and on the most basic level is just going for a cheap and obvious tug of the old heartstrings.

Transmutate's death doesn't resonate because you're introduced to the character, learn a bit of trivia without anything approaching a cohesive context in terms of the BW universe, and then see it die. All in the space of a few minutes. Transmutate's Forrest Gump stylings aside, there is never time to properly decide you like Transmutate. You don't really learn anything new about the existing characters either and the whole episode hinges on the maximals completely forgetting they could transfer sparks between bodies anyway.

That transmutate itself is so nightmarishly Dali-esque is actually one of the good bits of the episode, so no complaints there (even if it is a fugly toy :D )

Euthanasia is a big topic for a kids cartoon to tackle, and they deserve kudos for giving it a go, but Transmutate just plain sucks. Imagine they'd tackled the same topic with a popular character - for example, Rattrap or tarantulus - instead of a random 1shot character? now then you'd have the potential for something a bit more interesting.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I respectfully disagree.

If you don't like something it doesn't make it bad. Likewise if I like something it doesn't make it good.

There is no good or bad, only opinion.

20. chugway

well yeah, that goes without saying - i have no problem with people thinking Transmutate was a great episode, and god knows i wish somebody would point out to me why it is good so i can start to enjoy one of the few lowpoints in an otherwise superb series - infact i generally prefer it if people have a different viewpoint, the forum would be awfully dull if we just spent our time busily compiling lists of our favorite stuff! Certainly it's generally more fun if people actually have a riposte beyond "One of the weakest. . . ? Wow. Okay then, well . . . well, well!" and aren't just hoping to post a mild burn and ride the wave of popular opinion.

For what it's worth, I personally think it's a rubbish episode for all the reasons above - i just forgot to include the IMO proviso ;)