Favorite Anime Dub Actors

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spider Striker, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

To all my fellow dub fans, what actors do you always find yourself enjoying? Who rocks your socks and takes a good Anime and makes it a great Anime?

Personally, I dig the following:

Tiffany Grant
    I was first introduced to Miss Grant when she played Asuka in Evangelion, and the fact I'm such a big Asuka fan is in large part due to her performance. I've since seen many of her other shows, and her characters almost always end up being my favorites. She doesn't just play the characters, she becomes them. Plus, after listening to some of the commentary tracks she's doena dn reading interviews, I learned she's one of us. She's a fan. That's awesome.

Lia Sargent
    Watch the dub of "Hand Maid May." I challenge you not to fall in love with that sweet, innocent voice.

Steven Blum
    Okay, yes, I saw all the complaints that he only has the one voice, but 'cmon, not everyone can be a McNeil or a Welker. Besides, the guy can act. Can you really think of anyone better to play Rodger Smith or Spike Speigel (sp?). My only complaint about this guy is that I'm a little tired of him being cast in every Anime ever.

Monica Rial
    And in the opposite direction of Mr. Blum, I don't think I've ever heard this girl ever use the same voice twice. It blows my mind that she can play the soft spoken younger lead from "Noir" (name esacpaes me) and then turn around and play the spunky, sexy, sometimes drunken female lead from "RahXephon" (whose name also escapes me).

Travis Willingham
    "I'm not chasing you because I was ordered to. I'm chasing you because I'm pissed. Now, why did you run away without asking for my help first?!"
    I got chills, man. Seriously.

Sean Schemmel
    Probably best known as the English voice of Goku, and that's the reason I'm listing him here. He perfectly captures both Goku's child-like stupidity and his intensity in battle. And if I can believe his Internet Movie Database profile, he's got some serious range to boot!

Chris Sabat
    Say what you will about DBZ, I think Vegeta is one of the most interesting characters in all of Anime. I also think FMA's Major Armstrong is one of the funniest, most over the top powerhouses. Both were great performances.

More as I think of them.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    peter cullen :D 

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Crispin Freeman

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Scott McNeil (duh!) :p 

Derek Stephen Prince

And I'll second Steven Jay Blum.

5. BiCat

BiCat Banned

Crispin Freeman- mmm Alucard

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Mcneil and Blum

Sabat did Vegeta? I thought the guy who did Maj. Armstrong did Picollo.

7. Spider Striker

Sabat did both Piccolo and Vegeta. At least, that's what the interview on one of the Cooler DVDs tells me.

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Scott McNeil. He is the GOD of all cool voice actors. :D 

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    My fav's have always been Steven Blum and Wendee Lee. Ya they both have only one voice but they really have that universal one voice fits all. The two of them really never give a bad performance either, that and the two of them have probably played some of my fav characters in all of anime. Blum as Spike in Bebop, Roger Smith in Big O, Shishio in Kenshin etc... Wendee Lee pretty much the same :lol 

Crispen Freeman is pretty good as well. Michael McConnohie has turned into one of the best anime dub VA's as well, really wish he would play some bigger parts though but he has recently played some great roles (Schwarzwald in Big O).

I think a special mention should be made to Doug Smith who voiced Kintaro Oe in Golden Boy, its his only real role but man was it even memorable :lol 

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

The echhiness of Golden Boy probably turned him off to all anime lol

11. Spider Striker

This cannot be denied. He was absolutely perfect for that role.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I always like hearing Crispin Freeman's voice in an anime dub. I think it's quite good. HOWEVER. After the Xenosaga series and his Big O performance, I think he needs to spend a bit of time working on his diabolical laughter. His character in the Xenosaga series sometimes laughs for whole minutes at a time, Mark Hamill style, but it doesn't sound very good.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have nothing but love for Vic Mignona's portayal of Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, and ditto for Richard Cox as Inuyasha. Haven't heard any of Vic's other roles, and Richard really doesn't come off too strong in anything else he does, but those two really shine in those roles.

I second Monica Rial's performance in RahXephon. Opposite Chris Patton's Ayato, her Haruka was absolutely amazing. Some of the damn finest voice work ever in that show.

I'm also quite a fan of Brian Drummond when he gets to let loose a little. He's usually stuck with his more stoic voice in roles like Allen Schezar in Escaflowne, or Zechs in Gundam Wing, but when he gets to play a little, he's got excellent range. Jetstorm in Beast Machines, Andrew Waltfeld in Gundam SEED, even Shockblast in TF: Energon, he really is pretty damned good.

14. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I have to choose?!?, Freeman, Blum/Lucas, Derek Prince, Johnny Bosch, Wendy Lee, Scott McNeil, David Kaye*come on, Sesshomaru is awesome :D * Richard Ian Cox, Richard Epcar, Chris Sabat, Sean Schemmel, Kyle Hebert, Laura Baily.

Hell i like most Animaze/Bang Zoom VAs, most Funimation VAs and most Ocean/Voice Box VAs and some of ADV's.

15. Spider Striker

Vic is flawless in FMA. However, the only other thing I've heard him in is the new dub of Macross as Hikaru, and I just don't think he fits. His acting is fine, but I think I'm still thinking of Hikaru as Rick Hunter and can't accept anyone's voice but Tony Olivers. :p 

I also like Richard Cox in Inyuasha, which makes Cybertron Scattershot's voice funny as hell to me. "Kagome! They done turned me into the tinman what looks for Oz!"

And Allen Schezar and Jetstorm are voiced by the same guy?! Holy crap! He's awesome!

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Travis Willingham and Sonny Strait are awesome in FMA. Mustang and Hughes are two of my favorite characters in the show and these guys just cpature their characters so well. Same goes for Chris Sabat, I was actually floored when I found out he was Armstrong because it had been so long since I'd seen DBZ when I started watching FMA.

Scott McNeil is a top VA naturally.

I also did a double take when I saw Sesshomaru from Inuyasha listed as one of David Kayes roles on imdb. Totally couldn't pick up that it was ol' BW megs while watching the show.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wasn't really that impressed with Steven Blum's work as Spike in Cowboy Bebop, as I thought the voice was a little generic (the character was kind of generic too, granted) and it wasn't that memorable.

Anyway, most of these 'nominations' are based on one performance that I really liked, but...

- Frank Welker - Not anime, but in damn near every cartoon ever made (if it has animal noises, it probably has Frank Welker). Has an amazing range, compared to other VAs who max out at 3 or 4 different voices.

- Scott McNeil - Close second to Welker, with a good range as well, although some of his voice do overlap (Hohenheim sounds a little bit like Silverbolt, for example). Also seems to be having a lot of fun with it too.

- Kira Vincent-Davis - I've only seen her in Elfen Lied, but it was a great performance. She did a great job bringing out the different personalities of Lucy and Nyu and the performance was a highlight of the show.

- Aaron Dismuke - For his protrayal of Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist.

- Vic Mignogna - For Edward in Fullmetal Alchemist.

- Melissa Fahn - Edward in Cowboy Bebop.

- Liam O'Brien - Maniwa/Radar Man in Paranoia Agent.

- Tiffany Grant - Mostly for her performance as Asuka in Evangelion, but she was also good as Kisaragi in Elfen Lied...too bad the character was killed 20 minutes into the first episode.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I, however, can match him to Treize Kushrenada from Gundam Wing. Pretty much the same voice as Sesshoumaru, with the latter simply having a bit more of an angry "bite" to his tone, rather than Treize's rather laid-back attitude.