Faux-Transformers guide - You Can! Draw Transforming Robots

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Malunis_T, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TO ANY MOD OR ADMIN: If you see this topic, please have it moved to a proper forum category! Thank you!

I know this is probably WAY old, like from 2004, but I wanted to bring it up for those who didn't know it existed.

Sometime ago in 2007 (after seeing the movie) I wanted to learn how to draw TF stuff better, so I looked for a guide to it, and found This.

Don't bother trying to browse the page samples Amazon has, it just shows the pages which tell you what art tools you need. Kind of a clever way to make you buy the book. So, in order to show you what to expect from this book, I scanned a few pages.

- Cover
    - Back cover
    - 80s Style
    - Form types
    - Random fact (I just scanned this 'cause it looks like an awesome Blaster XD)
    - Eye types

And those are just about the most interesting images, but I'll continue on to tell some of its contents;

Chapter 01: Tools
    Chapter 02: Basic Shapes
    Chapter 03: Designing The Form
    Chapter 04: Heads
    Chapter 05: Anatomy
    Chapter 06: Foreshortening
    Chapter 07: Simple Transformations
    Chapter 08: Intermediate Transformations
    Chapter 09: Animals
    Chapter 10: Combiners

So as you can see, it also brings up combiners, and Beast Wars in some way. Lemme read you the contents of the design styles...

'70s Design: Transformations were new and simpler. Accuracy wasn't as important as getting across the idea of a robot morphing into something else. The emphasis was on making a heroic-looking robot.

'80s Design: This is possibly the longest period of experimentation. Robots aquired more angular aesthetics. There were a variety of transformation styles to choose from. Transforming robots from this era are a good starting point to reference.

'90s Design: Interest began shifting towards animals and organic shapes. This approach opened a new direction in design, not to mention new levels of difficulty in the transformation process.

'00s Design: There has been a resurgence of vehicle and animal transformations in popular design. Mixing greater detail with equally complicated transformations, the newest robots take what's come before and run with it.

And other than that, there's not much else for me to point out. It just gives a bunch of examples of transformation types which are probably just based on other existing transforming robot series out there. If anyone finds a comparison to some in my scans (other than the overly-obvious Starscream and awesome looking Blaster), please feel free to debate here. :) 

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    If it's that old, it shouldn't really be put in the news forums. It's cool and all, but you should put it somewhere else. Try the art forum.

3. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess you're right. :/ Sorry .