Faux kibble: like it or lump it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In recent years, I've noticed Hasbro seem to increase the general number of faux kibble on their figures to help match them to their cartoon counterparts in both modes. One example is Animated Deluxe Bumblebee's faux roof, which I admit had me stumped on the transformation the first time I saw it. Do you think this is a clever way to get around tricky parts in the transformation, or do you see it as a cheat?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reminder people (not to the original poster) the X in faux is silent. It's a French word. That means it doesn't even try to make sense... :p 

As for the actual question, my answer is "Ehhhhhhh". I don't hate it but I don't care for it. If it makes a better figure then I guess it's okay but I would much rather they not have to cheat. Like FE Cliffjumper. His chest isn't perfect but it's quite close and doesn't cheat so I like that better than the PRID version. That isn't the sole reason I like FE better but it's just an example.

I look at my FE Optimus and raise an eyebrow. You're real windows are right there. You literally covered real windows with fake ones. Is it really necessary? But brainstorming other ways to do it I can't get the arms to be as good as the FE. So I guess it's worth it. But it will always be one thing the PRID Optimus has over FE.

So I don't know if I explained my opinion at all, or if anyone even cares. But my answer to put it simply is do it if you must but please don't have to do it.

3. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

Depends.

I think if it looks convincing, like if you didn't know any better you'd think there wasn't a cheat. Or at least it isn't obvious or glaring. The first movie voyager Optimus is a good example of a glaring cheat-you can tell the front of the truck is on his back and the chest windows are way too small to be the vehicle mode windows.

Other cheats I don't mind. On figures like RID Ratchet or Cliffjumper the cheat is there to avoid an overly complex transformation. As long as it's part of a figure that is overall screen accurate and just a good figure, I can overlook it.

4. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I don't like it i there was an obvious way to make the figure transform accurately.

5. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I'm all for what looks good, cheat or not. If using the real parts accomplishes the most fiction accurate figure, then great! If using faux parts best reaches that vision, then great! Generally, fiction fudges proportions a bit, so faux parts seem a bit more necessary as of late.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Faux kibble done right or for the sake of accuracy I don't mind. (See: FE Prime's chest, Animated Bumblebee's accurately fake chest)

Faux kibble done wrong bugs me. (See: DOTM Voyager Prime's fake chest that still isn't accurate in proportions or design)

7. vatarian

vatarian snide spider

If it's benificiary to the acurracy of the figure....

8. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

On principle, yes it bothers me as in it's cheating.

In hand, I find I actually don't care that much.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I don't mind things like that if it helps the figure. Prime deluxe Ratchet comes to mind. There's no way you're gonna get accurate sized doors on the chest and have accurate sized doors for the alt mode, so the cheat there is perfectly acceptable. Less acceptable is the molded wheels in FE Bulkhead's feet. Understandable are the molded "wheels" in FE Cliffjumper's legs.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends. If it looks good, fine enough.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    It's only cheating if you get caught.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    One of my favorite figures of all time cheats in a way I don't like, but I can live with it. Powermaster Prime. What makes up for the fake chest windows on the small robot is the fact the real windows make the chest on the combined mode.

13. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I like it if it makes the figure more accurate. If it just looks horrible (I'm looking at you, DOTM Voyager OP), I hate it.

14. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I generally like the fake kibble, so long as the toy still looks good and is accurate. First Edition Optimus uses a cheat for the chest, but it completely hides the truck windows and allows his proportions to be virtually spot on. DOTM Voyager Optimus is just a mess.

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. It doesn't bother me when it actually helps the figure look better.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It really depends.

If there's really no other way to use some part of the Vehicle for the robot mode to work then yes go for it. It can also make the robot more accurate as a result if done correctly like with the FE Optimus for example.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't mind it so much as long as Hasbro makes an effort to at least make it look like it's not a cheat. Take TFP Ratchet. I've come to terms with the fact the door chest is probably impossible to do "correctly" because of mass shifting, but come on, it's unmistakably sculpted on. They should have thrown some fake pieces that just fold into place there.

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Don't like it. Just make it transform right and make both modes work without fake parts.

19. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'd prefer they not, but I can see how an intricate transformation sequence can be a little too much for a 6" toy.

20. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I usually find it unacceptable with the exception of RID Cliffjumper, simply because it really gets some annoying steps out of the way. I despise Leader Ironhide's fake kibble, my Cyberverse Ironhide has a real chest, and his bumper actually goes into his chest!