Fate/Stay Night=Must Have Anime!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chaos Incarnate, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I just finished watching Fate/Stay Night, and it is incredible! The story is deep and involved, the characters are well rounded and personable, the visuals are crisp and vibrant, and the music adds well to the series.

The basic focus of the story is that of a boy named Shirou Emiya who is an ametuer mechanic. Ten years previously, he had been orphaned by a huge fire that tore through Fuyuki City and killed many people. Shirou was rescued by Kiritsugu Emiya who adopts him and raises him as his son. When his adoptive father tells him that he is a magician, Shirou begs to be taught magic so that he too can be a Protector of Justice. After his father dies, Shirou becomes frustrated is his efforts to hone his magical skills, and is unsure of what path he should take in life. Little does he know that the city he lives in is a battlefield.

For that past couple centuries, Fuyuki City is the location of the Holy Grail Wars, where seven sorcerers summon spiritual Servants who are the incarnations of legendary heros from across time. These Servants have superhuman abilities, and wield powerful weapons or skills known as Noble Phantasms.

After staying late after school to clean the archery dojo one day, Shirou sees a couple Servants fighting on the school grounds. After seperating from the skirmish, one of the Servants tracks down Shirou, a witness, and kills him. Shirou's classmate, and the Master of the opposing Servant, revives Shirou. Dazed and confused, he goes home, only to find that same Servant waiting for him again. Unable to effectively fight back, Shirou finds himself cornered. Just as the Servant is about to deal another fatal blow, a woman in gleaming armor blocks the attack and chases the Servant off. She turns and introduces herself as the Servant Saber, and says, "Upon your summoning, I have come forth. I ask you, are you my master?"

This anime shoots towards the top of my recommended list. If you are a fan of epic battles and a moving story, look this one up!

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've heard it was a pretty good show. Not bad for an anime based on a hentai game.

In their defense though, more fantasy-based hentai games do tend to have rather awesome character designs (at least the ones that actually bother to try for something classy), and occasionally they'll have a decent plot or concepts that can be reworked quite well into pretty good all-audience fare. Utawarerumono (I think I spelled that right) falls into the same category, and I've heard it's quite excellent as well.

3. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Actually, Utawarerumono is the anime I started right after Fate.

4. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Well, ain't that a coinkydink? :p 

5. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    It sure is. Anyhow, I was actually real suprised when I learned that Fate was based off an eroge game, it really doesn't strike me that way, and there is absolutely nothing pervy in it. Well, there are two scenes where Shirou walks in on Saber in the bath, nothing is shown, and they're like, PG-13 MAYBE. Then there is one scene that I was worried might become pervy, where Shirou has to transfer mana to Saber, but nothing bad happened.

Utawarerumono, on the other hand, has Omega-Kawaii girls with tails and fuzzy ears, and a female slanted cast that would fill every hentai niche, and essentially has everything an eroge would need, though I must point out that nothing pervy has happened as of where I am in episode 2! Well, in the first, ep, some guy grabbed Eruruu's tail, but that's not actually pervy, though she seemed to get a quick thrill out of it.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I watched the first DVD of it so far and it's an awesome series, definitely one worth following.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've watched the first four episodes as well, love the way all kinds of legendary heroes turn up. I'm quite enjoying it.

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Fate Stay Night is NOT a hentai game, it is an eros game.

9. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    *SPOILER RANT*

The anime follows the "Fate" scenario of the original ero game, which is the probably the LEAST interesting of the three scenarios, in my opinion. I much prefer "Heaven's Feel".

In case anyone is not sure what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate/stay_night_scenarios

And...am I the only one who does not see the appeal of a female King Arthur? What's with Saber and her immense popularity anyway?

I kinda stopped watching the anime after the death of Archer and Berserker, the only servants I actually liked.

Hmm, I'd want to write a full review on this, but I'm too lazy right now. And I should really finish watching it before I do.

I much preferred Utawarerumono, largely because the main character is Godzilla. Aruru melts my heart too.

10. Chaos Incarnate

News Credits:
    Well, a female King Arthur character does twist a lot of preconcieved notions out of whack, but I think it adds to the series more than it detracts. And besides, she's such a likable, elegant character, who could possibly complain?

Anyhow, the reason she's so sought after is that she is simply the most powerful Saber class Servant ever, and as you can see in the show, she has more than enough oomph to waporize any other Servant.

Spoilers:
    Yeah, Heaven's Feel would have been a great scenario to play, especially the parts where Sakura turns evil and starts killing characters, and then Saber turns bad as well. The problem is that main characters, like Saber, are killed off instead of built up, and it would have drastically changed the type of anime it turned out to be. Personally, I would have loved to see more of a combined scenario storyline. I really would have loved to watch Shirou fight Archer in the Unlimited Blade Works. I felt totally teased, as there are clips of them fighting in the second set of opening credits.
    End Spoilers

11. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    While she is indeed all that, it's still a bit uncomfortable when the legendary King Arthur is turned into an object of lust...

And I was referring to her popularity in the anime fandom rather than the sorcerer's of the FSN universe. Not many characters have made an impact in the fandom like she did, and I can't seem to understand why.

Yes, a more combined scenario would've been really cool, though not really plausible as each scenario shifts focus to different characters, necessitating the sudden death of others. Wish they had came up with a completely new scenario for the anime.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not entirely sold on giving this one a chance yet. On the one hand, the animation looks good and some parts of the story look somewhat interesting. On the other hand, my initial impression is that it's just yet another show (which I've seen way too many of) with "[character] gets [weapon/pet/companion] and has to use them to fight against [other characters] with similar [weapons/pets/companions], but fortunately [character] has the most powerful [weapon/pet/companion] and they're able to overcome all opponents and we all learn a lesson about [friendship/teamwork/love/not doing drugs]"...kind of like Zatch Bell, except Kyo doesn't (implicitly or explicitly) sleep with Zatch. It's good to hear some positive words about the show, and it's one I'll be keeping an eye on, but I think I'll wait until a few more DVD volumes come out and there's more consensus on the quality before giving it a shot.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Having watched the first couple of episodes, it is nothing like that. For one, the power of the servant so far seems to be only half the equation - the mastery of the one using the servant is also very important, and Emiya Shiro so far is pretty weak as a master.

The whole style of the series seems to be totally different from the "pet" genre, there is a lot more sorcery involved, at least from my perspective. I'm not familiar with Gatch Bell, though.

14. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Yep, it is a great anime. I'm glad I found it and spent a week downloading it. As to why people like Saber, the audience is pretty limited by the servants. Berserker doesn't really have much character development, neither does Lancer or Caster until the very end. Assassin is only shown fighting and has a few lines. That leaves what? Archer, Saber, and Rider, and Saber got more air time.

I'm not sure if I'd watch the sequel if they made it. From what I read about it, it sounds kind of annoying.

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    That sounds about right on the mark to me, save for the last part. Can't think of any lessons learned here...

I suppose it's the characters that would sell this.

This is true, but lack of airtime didn't stop me from liking Berserker. Admittedly, I do have a very strong bias for large and brutish characters. A huge part of me wishes that animes would stop using these characters as "necessities" just to fill in the "big brute" niche required by all fictions, and instead give them more personality and background. God forbid that one of them actually become a main character in their own right in an anime.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Scar in FMA? Or not hulking enough for you?

17. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    He's a supporting character, not the main protagonist.

Yeah, I'm very picky...

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

One of the biggest problems with Fate Stay Night is that it's so short, and only covers one scenario. I want to play the game so bad because I love Japanese visual novels, but there's no english version. I loved Eve Burst, even though the translation was pretty lousy.

I can't comment on Saber, since I have a PVC of her sitting right behind me.:D 

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Scar is more of a major character in the manga. The anime isn't the real story, it was only made as a quick cash grab.

Yes, Scar is my favorite character in FMA. In Fate/Stay Night, my favorite character was Saber. Why? I just happen to like Knight characters. She might not be physically imposing, but she's strong willed and is still strong in combat. Coming in second place was someone who didn't get a lot of development: Gilgamesh. Only drawback is there's no merchandise for Gilgamesh, at least, none that I've seen.

20. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Check eBay, there's a small PVC of Gilgamesh. I almost bought it myself.