Fate of the Alternators line

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sunstorm's Wrath, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Sunstorm's Wrath

Sunstorm's Wrath Active Member

It's been some time since the movie came out, and it sounded like there was no decision on whether the Alternators line would pick up again. With a sequel film already planned, has the Alternators line (which I consider incomplete) been terminated, or is there still a chance for it to resurface once the movie hype dies down?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It's done. Hasbro said it wasn't cost effective or something like that.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Apparently they were too awesome.

4. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I tripped on a dead horse someone was beating right before I wrote this post.

Seriously though, I still wish they would bring back Alts in some form…

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

You should've called animal control or something.

:rip  horse

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, they pretty much said at the last convention that they weren't bringing back Alternators or Titaniums because they weren't cost effective. So, to give the fans something we wanted... they're giving us Classics 2.0/Universe.

Though, based on what we've seen from Hasbro TF SDCC offerings I'd say it's entirely possible to get a few more pieces from either line as exclusives there.

7. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Yea unfortunately it wasn't cost effective. I think it was too much trouble to go and acquire licenses and then make the product which would end up unpopular with the younger kids.

Classics 2.0 and Universe is supposed to continue with pseudo realistic cars that we've gotten through Alternators and the movie line. I think it was said somewhere that they'll only do characters that had Earth modes.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Though there is no telling what takara will do. They have continued the masterpiece line and may continue this one(doubtful) or make a new smaller masterpiece line based on the old cars.

9. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

That's what I think too :D 

10. Sunstorm's Wrath

Sunstorm's Wrath Active Member

Not what I wanted to hear. Alts sure lasted a long time for something that wasn't cost effective. I was always partial to Binal-tech since I prefer die-cast, but had to rely on alts toward the end since they had non-BT characters and BT stopped. I hope there'll be a few more exclusives, but certainly there won't be any new molds. Would be nice if Takara picked it up again.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

They didn't sell all that great either, I mean, when a new wave first hit they would all sell out within hours, then get restocked and then the more popular, or new molds of the wave would sell out and the ones that were in the last wave would sit there and shelf warm until you had 7 or 8 of them sitting there that weren't selling.

Then they would sit there for months, I literally saw 7 Windchargers at Target once.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    or the bazillion Battle Ravages, Shockblasts and Swindles that plagued TRU around here.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I love this answer :thumb 

But yeah, like others have stated...they weren't cost effective...

So we're getting Classics 2.0....for those that like Classics....us Alt fans got nothing but one last exclusive (Hot Rod/Rodimus)

I would welcome them back even if they weren't "real" cars....as long as they kept with the 1:24 scale, and the awesomeness that the line had, I'd been in like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of loot :D 

14. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Did anyone genuinely care about the licensed car modes? Was this a selling point to ANYONE? True, they would have the same price point regardless, but I think Hasbro ate the cost on these.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Alternators is finished, dead, done, stick a fork in 'er.

:horse: 

I don't mind if they never come back. They're not very stable and none of them stand well and aren't very posable. (and the ones with great poseability are hindered by kibble)

More money can now be spent on Animated and Classics, which I prefer.:) 

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yep. Unfortunately, they seemed to be so awesome that most people didn't feel worthy of owning them. And that's the real reason why nobody bought them.

:p 

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I cared more about the fact that they were vechicles with interiors, I would have been just as happy if they would have done a G1 Hot rod with a decent interior and alt articulation. They could have done ones like the semi realistic cars in Cybertron and I would have been happy as long as they had real interiors and good articulation. Kind of like mini masterpieces.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    It was for me. I never thought of Alternators so much as toys as they were collector pieces that also happened to transform, so the fact that they were scaled down models of actual cars was a huge selling point for me. Plus they (the Autobot Alts) looked great next to MP Prime... although about 1-2 heads smaller than what they should have been imo. I know the line is done now, but I still hold out hope for even just 1 or 2 new molds since they could squeeze at least 3-4 different characters out of them if done right.

That said, I still always preferred the more bare-basic design aesthetic of G1 and Classics - where their alt modes did the trick as being disguises on the outside but weren't reliant on accomodating interior things like seats, steering wheels, opening doors/hoods/trunks, engines, etc. when transforming to bot mode. It helps them look less kibbled.

It's just too bad that we have to get one style instead of being able to get both. I remember two BotCon's ago, Hasbro made it sound like they were hoping the movie would help them gain more licenses for the Alt line in particular, but as of the last BotCon, that plan evidentially seemed to be swept under the carpet.

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

It was to me, that, and the robot modes made it my favorite TF line to date.

20. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

QFT