"Fat People" are Endangering The World's Food Supply

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shatterpoint, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    just a thought we could add more human to our diet JK

2. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

What's it really matter anyway? We're gonna get to the point where the government closes down all fast food and other restaurants. Grocery stores will be closed to and turned into government cafeterias. We'll have to go line up for our government approved meals three times a day.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess that puts a new spin on those "Eat like a man!" gingles.

Also to Lambogirl, it'll be like on Riverworld, and people will be fighting over food to the point of it becoming the currency. Not like it'll matter because the zombies will probably get that well before 2060, but you know.

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    dog eat dog type of world also comes to mind :lol 

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The worst thing that happens is we have a food shortage and all the fat people lose weight because of it. Thus the problem will eventually solve itself. :) 

6. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Bullshit.

I worked in the kitchen as a dishwasher, and I cannot tell you how many pieces of fried chicken with literally only one bite taken out of them I had to scrape off the dishes.

Give credit to my fat ass, at least I clean the meat off the goddamn bones and not waste it. Throwing half-eaten food away is more threatening to food supplies than actually eating it at all.

7. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Wasted food is a big one. Watch Hells Kitchen and see how much food they waste on there that's probably how much gets wasted at any fine dinning establishment.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You ought to see how much food gets wasted at military dining facilities....

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I hate people wasting food. Actually I hate people wasting anything.

I was gonna suggest we put all the fat people together on a single island out of the way, but the weight might tip the planet over. I suppose we could just put them all at the bottom of the planet to avoid that happening.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The massive amounts of sugar that go into pop come from sugar cane and corn, primarily, and it takes a substantial amount of land to grow that cane and corn. For example, it takes 10kg of sugar cane just to get 1kg of sugar, and it takes a ton of energy to refine that sugar out of the sugarcane juice. Making corn syrup is even more energy intensive. Both of these things represent an opportunity cost in terms of agricultural resource usage (that land could have grown other food), and in terms of the energy used (which could have been applied elsewhere or saved in terms of expense).

For example, that corn could have fed people directly instead of being milled into corn starch, refined into corn syrup, and then mixed into that carbonated beverage.

I'm pretty sure you're joking here, but there's a very real problem with food shortages, in that it will lead to an increase in food prices, and the poorest will suffer the most. Food prices have already risen substantially in the recent past, and it's already having a visible effect in places like Haiti, Bangladesh, and Kyrgyzstan. While a small increase in prices may be an inconvenience for us in the developed world, it can very well mean poverty or even starvation for people elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm fat and I'm offended, I'll have to call McDonald's and order everything upsized, just to get over that article. Boo hoo.

13. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Well that makes no sense...I eat more than 'fat' people at my school yet I'm really skinny...

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    i swear its not that fat people or the skinny people its the people who eat to much and waist food

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Aernaroth: You've got a point, so I yield... by taking a trip upstairs to get a Coke. :) 

16. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Everyone has a different metabolism and eat food at a different rate.

There is no one group of people to blame for the problems we face right now and the way they keep getting worse.

Time to blame the greed ridden, self centered, gross irresponsibility of humanity as a species, which for all intents and purposes is nothing but a plague of over glorified locusts. Consume, Destroy, Consume, Destroy, Consume, Destroy, Consume, Destroy, Consume, Destroy,

At least the actual locusts take a break.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  17. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Pffff. First we can't get girlfriends, now we're starving people.

I'm going to eat a can of Crisco...

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my son is skinny but has a high metabolism due to his ADD he eats more than my husband and I combined he's a growing boy, every 10 seconds he is hungry

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Bubbling Over: Soda Consumption and Its Link to Obesity in California | UCLA Center for Health Policy Research

It's not only that, but the study shown above found that children who consumed soda on a regular basis were over 20% more likely to be obese as adults.

Why are so many people saying "well I know a person who eats a lot and is skinny so the entire study is irrelevant"? Are you people saying that, on average, there is no link between food consumed (and a sedentary lifestyle) and obesity? Are you implying that these high-metabolizing people are the norm for the developed world, given that the average person is what the study is based on?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  20. boxorak

boxorak Lacking Shelf Space

Wow, Ricky Gervais was right; the fat people ARE eating the skinny people's food.

Seriously, though, I knew that obesity was an issue, but I never thought it was this much of a problem.
    You bring up a valid point, but nobody's going to listen to you if you give speeches like that. You'll only come across as a hypocrite (unless you're an alien, in which case, welcome to Earth! I hope you stay away from any men in black suits, otherwise there's a chance that you'll be dissected alive by the plague of overglorified locusts that you apparently hate so much. :D  ).

I'm sure a lot of it is people just saying "I'm not the problem, other people are". Of course, some of that comes from how ridiculous the study sounds. Is obesity a major problem? Maybe. Can you make a case that obese people are eating food that other people need? Maybe. Does that mean that fat people cause world hunger? Probably not, and saying "OMG, FATASSES CAUSE WORLD HUNGER!!" doesn't do anything.