Fast Forward 25 years from today, will the current toys rise in value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kingplay, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First of all, I want to say, if you buy Transformers for the sake of investing then you shouldn't be collecting. There are plenty of other things that give way better return. Now with that being said, what are your predictions for the current lines!

Do you think:
    1) They will rise in value as much as G1's did.
    2) They will rise, but not as much as how G1's rose.
    3) They will "rise", only due to fluctuation on the dollar, thus not really rising!
    4) They will decrease in value over time, too much supply & hype this time.

What are your thoughts and opinions!

2. What About Bob?

What About Bob? Banned

Back when we were kids, we played with toys, they weren't really collectors stuff yet. That's what makes those toys of value. Now days, everything is released as a "collectors edition" and has no real value. We all opened out stuff, and played with them, broke them, etc and very few actually kept them in good condition, thus making them of value.

The stuff we get today is so mass released, that even the exclusive stuff is just to available.

3. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you are voting for option 4!

4. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The bitter irony is that speculating collectors looking to get rich off toys are the ones keeping secondary-market prices down for modern-day figures.

Oh well, sucks to be them.

Toys are supposed to fun.

5. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    explain? I read your statement about 3 times, still don't get the logic.

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Hasbro is well in-touch with their collector's market. If there's a demand, they will supply it.

Heck, even Beast Wars stuff that was barely 10 years old has already seen a reissuing.

7. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think they are well in-touch with the collector's market. Just look at TakaraTommy, they do a WAY better job.

Of course Hasbro will supply as long as there is demand, who wouldn't print "money" if they can.

8. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    When we were kids the action figure market was still evolving and had just hit its stride with Star Wars doing the 3 3/4 scale figs, people didnt really invest in them for value, they were bought and played with whereas today the amount of MISB collectors is phenomenal therefore I think that values wont really increase.

I like to take my toys out of the packet and throw the dirty old cardboard away! :) 

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    *looks at the prices of Cybertron figures on ebay*

"Yes."

10. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I'd say some of the figures will rise in value. Just look at the Alternator line.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I don't think there's been a line that hasn't risen in value, so yes, they will rise in value. No idea by how much, I'm not Doc Brown.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    some figs yes BTs, Alts and of course the exclusiv figs that dont get reissued like E-hobby stuff and botcon stuff.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Unlike comics, where you can read them once then bag and board them, there is MISB which means never opening. Those are always going to have SOME value.

While the bottom won't totally drop out of the market like the great comic crash of the 90's there is still going to be a larger number of good-condition surviving toys along with an increased number of toys being made as well.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

True 'nuff, KP. Of course that's largely because for Tak/Tom, the collectors pretty much are the TF market and therefore they're the guys the distributors aim for. Here we're a tiny (albeit reasonably valuable) fraction of the market, so we get nods where they can be fitted in.

BOT, I think things like mint sealed figs will inevitably go up in value, but as has been said, not by anywhere near as much now there's so many people collecting them. The rest, pretty much only rarer stuff is likely to retain any real value.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Oh I see, I ask this a few months ago and nobody answers but now....

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the way china is consuming metals, the G1 will keep going up in value while the plastics will stagnate. If we assume 3% inflation then a figure costing $10 in 1984 would cost $20 today and $100 25 years from now.

If we're only talking mass released figures I vote 4). My guess is that today's current lines will go up in MISB value equal to G1's loose figures. With all the repaints that Hasbro is beating into us and collectors out there I see some figures going up in value and some dropping so that entire lines stay even. Factor in inflation in for 25 years and it's a loss. I'm talking monetary value only, not enjoyment value.

How many people here own a:
    1) MISB G1 Megatron?
    2) loose G1 Megatron?
    3) MISB Armada Megatron?
    4) MISB TFTM Megatron?
    5) MISB Masterpiece Megs

I guess we also need to take into account how reissues affect the G1 market.

17. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    They will rise but not too much.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

For me, just the loose G1. I don't do MISB, I like to play.

19. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Define "current toys" If you mean only mass release, then I vote 4 with choice exceptions

Back in the 80's nobody really thought to "invest" in toys. If they had, G1 in nice shape or boxed/MISB would not be so rare. Sure, there were people collecting, then, but nothing to the extent we see today, which is why mint vintage G1 will always hold great value.

Even reissue G1 (takaras', mostly) is worth more, well, until it comes out in Encore, that is.

E-Hobby reissues for the most part, seem to double in value after it sells out online, of course, some of the not-so-popular ones aren't worth double, but I learned my lesson with Anime Astrotrain, don't let the good ones go by if you can help it.

For mass release, mainline stuff, it depends, I do see some of the better figures will increase or at least hold a good value (i.e. Cybertron Prime/Wingsaber etc.)

I think Classics will hold some value, with Universe 2.0 coming up, there may be new fans who want to go back and get the first ones they missed, but like has been mentioned, so many people bought extras to keep MISB that they won't be that hard to find.

Movie toys were so overproduced that with a few exceptions, will not increase in value, if anything, you will have a hard time selling them. I considered selling almost all my movie toys to make room for Animated, but most of them are not worth retail now, especially if loose. The ones worth selling are the few ones I want to hang onto.

Alternaters, I can only see prices going up. with the distribution issues that line had, and even with all the MISB'ers, they are still in high demand, especially to kitbashers/customizers. Those will only go up higher and higher over time I would think.

TF: Animated - who knows? I rip 'em open and enjoy them :) 

honestly, I take pics of the boxes of new/mainline stuff, and then throw away the boxes. I'm having trouble finding room for new toys, never mind storing the boxes (Of course, any MP or re-issue, or the more collector aimed-stuff I do save)

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think they will but depending on the toyline, rarity, and demand naturally. It isn't the stock market though so I don't worry about it too much.