Fast Action Battlers - Pros And Cons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Razerwire, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    FAB's are growing on me.

At first I felt they were just bigger sized GoBots but after seeing Bumblebee and Barricade, the line has somewhat piqued my interest.

The problem is, my wife thinks they're Playskool TFs and should avoid them.

So I need some help convincing not only her, but to finally push me over the ledge and buy them.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the only way to get a good deluxe sized transforming Frenzy. And we all know Frenzy is awesome.

3. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

They're not as fun as they look in pictures.

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, Frenzy is a must for me.

Unless they come out with a better one for the non FAB line. ;) 

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sure, they're Playskool-y and a lot more simple, but I think that just makes 'em that much more fun. I like them as cool little veg-out toys I can just fiddle with for a couple minutes. The transformations are simple, but automorph works well on the ones I've got. They've got average poseability and at least two gimmicks each: a launching projectile and a springloaded waist for that ever-popular twist'n'punch action.

My only beef right now is Ironhide's stupid arm articulation. But I'll live.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Wait, FABs have automorph too?

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
  8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Hmmm. That much praise. I may have to cave in after I move.

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have to say so far I LOVE the FAB's. Starscream isn't that great as his feet are CLEARLY visible in alt mode. Ratchet is the best so far and it puts him scale with Ironhide and the deluxes.

10. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Go for FAB Prime at least, makes a good $10 Prime figure.

The other FAB's though i can't vouch for because i dodn't really plan to pick any more up.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:useless 

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Prime and Frenzy are the only FABs that really interest me. The others just don't look good, IMO.

13. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

bumblebee looks ok, and prime is awesome in hand, on par with any armada or energon figure in the $/£10 range

14. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Is this the only thing wrong with him? I actually thought he was the best looking of the FABs. His head's not too big as with most of the others, and he has real hands, unlike the voyager SS.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think the visible feet in ALT mode are supposed to look like the afterburners are on.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    FAB Brawl is pretty cool....and the best part...his head and weapons are Alt sized!..:ev: 

17. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I dunno bout that, i mean deluxe Armada Prime is still IMO the best small sized Prime by far.

And Energon and Armada(not so many) had some good deluxes.

18. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Umm...not really. <_<
    I've actually been eyeing FAB Prime for a while now; looks like a pretty good little figure IMHO.
    To me, the FABs are like movie characters mixed with some G1 nostalgia (i.e. simpler transformations, and slightly more "blocky" so to speak).

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Only FAB I own (and the only FAB I wanted/planned to own) is Frenzy...he is definitely a cool figure and is the best (transforming) representation we are likely to get.

He is a bit..kibbly, but otherwise I have no complaints.

20. Thrasymachos

Thrasymachos energon cube

When I initially saw the lineup for the movie figures, I didn't give the FABs a second glance. I thought they looked simplistic, and being that I'm more of an MP and Binalternator fan, they didn't appeal to me.

Then I saw them on the shelf. I admit, they were something of an impulse buy, but FAB Brawl just looked amazing. I think the thing that hooked me was the paint apps on his minesweeper claws. Deluxe Brawl's plain green claws looked weak in comparison. So I grabbed Brawl. Then I saw Ratchet. And Starscream. At that point I hadn't found the Voyagers for the latter two, and figured, what the hell?

When I got home and played with the figures for the first time, I was supremely impressed. The Automorph feature is fiddly on the Deluxes and downright irksome on some of the Voyagers (Blackout, I'm looking at YOU). But on the FABs it works great. Honestly, it's the best implementation of the feature I've experienced with the movie toys. With many of the FABs, the automorph feature is the primary motion in their transformation, which is very cool as they almost transform themselves. Within certain limitations they are also quite poseable - to a much greater degree than I'd anticipated.

My main gripe with the FABs is a general lack of elbow articulation. Optimus is the only one that I've found that has elbows at all, and even his are not that great.

Here's a list of the FABs I own, ordered from favorite to least, with commentary.

Ratchet - his Automorph is the bees knees. Seriously, it is such a joy to transform this figure. His arms are a little thin for his bulk, but they still look pretty good. 9/10

Frenzy - the attention to detail on this figure is really astounding. Despite being a bit kibbly in bot-mode, he is nevertheless a very fun figure. 9/10

Blackout - is it wrong that I like the FAB better than the Voyager? Don't get me wrong, the Voyager is a great display piece, but you can actually play with FAB Blackout. It's also nice that his tail folds up so he doesn't look like a tripod. 8/10

Brawl - While the Deluxe version has greater poseability and the bad-ass arm cannon, the FAB version is superior in many ways. First of all - no shoulder peg problems. Second of all - he's HUGE. He's bigger in both modes, and remains reasonably movie-accurate. The paint-apps on FABrawlus are also quite nice. 8/10

Starscream - The visable feet in alt-mode is kind of a drag, but this figure is just too cute for words. The battle-blade feature is pretty neat too. 7/10

Megatron - I think I have a bot-crush on movie-Megatron. Similar to the Leader Class version, this figure features a very fun transformation into a less-than-stellar alt-mode (ironic, since it's a space-jet). Still, the bot-mode more than makes up for it. 6/10

Optimus Prime - I'm the leader because I have something ya'll don't. No, not the Matrix fool - that's soooooo 1986. I'm talkin' 'bout ELBOW ARTICULATION. Ya heard. (I don't know why Prime went all ghetto there - must have had one too many energon cocktails). 6/10

Ironhide - Not bad in and of itself, the head is a nice mold and bot mode is surprisingly movie-accurate. The lack of arm articulation hurts this figure, as does the comparison to the superb Voyager version, but taken on it's merits, FAB Ironhide is a solid purchase. 5/10

Jazz - hmmm... well... I got Jazz out of a sense of completist obligation. If you're not similarly afflicted, you can pass on Jazz and live a full and happy life. 2/10

Looking forward to Bumblebee and Barricade!