Farscape

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gingerchris, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Came across a more compact release of season one on DVD here for £10 (at Asda if anyone in the UK is interested) and grabbed it. I have got the original DVD releases of all the seasons but anyone that has also collected those will know just how much shelf space that all takes up. I'll be picking up the rest of these more compact releases and then I can get rid of my old versions. Not only that but several of my original discs seem to be suffering from that disc rot thing and have gone cloudy and won't work anymore so these are perfect replacements for more than one reason.

Anyone else watched the show? I remember seeing it all through its BBC2 run here in the UK and then finally The Peacekeeper Wars on (I think) Sky to finish it off. I even joined the official fan club.
    Some people I mention the show to didn't like it because it was very much an anti-Star Trek kind of show and went somewhat against the norm of the time for spacey sci-fi ship-based telly.
    I'd not watched any of it for probably eight years (which I think is somewhere around when The Peacekeeper Wars came out) but even now it's still great fun. Aeryn suddenly punching John out so she can win an argument and Rygel farting helium for the first time and everyone's voices going squeaky caused me grins as if I was seeing them for the first time.
    And I'd always wanted my mother to see the show so testing these new DVDs with her watching along too is a great opportunity to do that.

Farscape needs a big screen movie.

2. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Really? Not a single person? Not even just to hate on the show?

Why do any threads I make die so quickly...? :cry 

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember watching this all the time on YTV, but it was always on very late & I never really got into it. However, it seems like something I'd enjoy quite a lot now. :) 

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I was a big fan of it when I was in college and it was on SciFi. It was one of the few shows where the aliens were often truly alien.

5. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
  6. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Farscape was a really fun show. I saw it from the beginning and was never disappointed. I hope that the Peacekeeper Wars gets released on Blu-ray at some point.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    If there was ever a theatrical movie made would you like the original actors back in their roles? Although if I remember correctly Virginia Hey left the show due to health problems, some of them to do with the make-up.

Maybe an all-CGI show or movie would be cool. Even today Farscape still has clever ideas and tones that some modern shows are lacking. I believe it could come back today and still be considered something enjoyably different to the normal sci-fi shows.

I wish I had one of those slugs you put in your mouth that cleans your teeth.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Do not.

Swallow.

The dentak.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

It was OK. The creativity in the rubber faced Aliens was one of the shows strengths. However the puppets were crap, they always fell flat.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I could see how they might not have worked for some people. I mean you watch them and you're always aware it's a puppet, which can take you out of the show. But on the other hand they could also be fun and affecting characters. When Pilot and Moya got properly connected it was quite touching.

Scorpius had some great make-up.
    Mmm... minty...

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    John : "You've been lying to your daddy, boy, and you know you shouldn't lie to your daddy. It's gonna stop. Who's your daddy? C'mon, you know who your daddy is. Who's your daddy? D'Argo, tell him who his daddy is."

D'Argo: "I'm your daddy."

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    The peacekeeper wars were great. This was the highwater mark for the Sci-Fi channel.

13. lars573

D'Argo was a rubber faced alien not a puppet. And a perfect example of my point.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    It was meant to be an in-character reply as opposed to a counterexample. I actually really liked the practical effects (or maybe I just prefer them greatly to cgi), and I can't see how someone would look at something like Pilot and his kin and not say "yeah, that worked pretty well". Even the scorpion-lie detector in the episode I referenced was pretty cool, albeit a little cheesy.

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I just watched the episode where Rygel pisses explosives. How many other sci-fi shows could do that and get away with it? :D 

16. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Farscape is my all time favorite science fiction series. I just rewatched the whole series on Netflix last year and it's still great. If you like science fiction at all, you really should watch this show.

17. lars573

Because CG is ALWAYS superior to practical effects (save explosions). I can never buy puppets as being real. I've seen complicated anamatronic puppets up close. I've seen armatures and air bladders fail miserably at making a movement/action look legit. Puppets are the shitty looking cheap way out.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I dunno - look at the movie Real Steel. It's really surprising just how many robot shots in that aren't CGI at all but are done on set with puppet props, even some of the robot acting scenes, such as when Atom gets switched on for the first time at the boxing gym. For organic characters I agree it is more difficult to be realistic with a puppet, but even CGI creatures can, and sometimes do, look fake.
    Considering when Farscape was made and the budgets of television at the time I think it did pretty good with what it had. That said there were some CGI creatures in the show and Rygel even had his own CGI model, which was used for at least one shot as early as the third ever episode (entering the Hive tube in 'Exodus From Genesis'), and much later for when he's swimming underwater collecting the scattered bits of Crichton and Aeryn at the start of The Peacekeeper Wars.
    The puppets may not have worked for everyone but they worked well enough for others to feel the character they portrayed/conveyed. I don't doubt for a moment that anyone watched the show and didn't realise they were obviously puppets. But Farscape had the Henson Company behind it so it's not like it was just some random puppet house doing the work.

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    And I'm the exact opposite, I guess. I see CGI and I can always see where the lighting doesn't quite fit, or where the texturing isn't quite realistic or where the movement is detatched from the real world or where the actors are interacting in a way that isn't... physical enough. I dunno, I'd say that modern practical effects are still superior to CGI, except in cases where practical effects would be physically impossible. Even when they're cheesy, at least practical effects look to me like a physical object in the physical world, and I guess that helps me with immersion.

I also think CGI is more or less cheaper than practical effects these days, which is why it's so prevalent?

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been watching this for the last couple weeks, and I'm really glad there's more than just a couple of seasons. Can't believe this didn't get bigger when it was new, actually.