Farewell Michael Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    The first movie’s soul was most likely attributed to Spielberg anyway. No doubt bay can do action. With the writer’s strike, bay’s “my way or highway” attitude gave us devastator’s balls. I saw it in the behind-the-scenes in the RoTF DVD bay gleefully made a choice to put devastator’s balls.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yeah, I’ll call this a fair assessment. The man isn’t the anti-Christ, but I'm not in the least bit sad to see the back of him. New blood, new(ish) ideas please.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PaxStarkist

PaxStarkist Casual G1 fan and 1st trilogy apologist

I... am... Optimus Prime
    and I send this message to any Bayformer fans
    who may be disheartened that we didn't get
    a follow up to TLK and see Unicron on the big screen
    The bayverse may be over, but we still have our DVDs
    for in those memories... Bayformers lives on

• Like Like x 3
  4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Great post, I couldn't agree with you more. :thumb With each new movie the quality was lowered each time. We'll see what Travis Knight brings to the table.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you. I think Knight has the ability, but I do know his last two films weren't super successful financially and not 100% critical darlings. I think this is his chance to really flex his muscles and try a new medium he hasn't tried before, I think that's in his favor. I also think he's genuinely talented and people just haven't learned to appreciate him and his works, yet.

I'm slightly hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    R.I.P.

7. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Years of tyranny is over.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Temenos

Temenos The Last Knight

News Credits:
    Kubo and the Two Strings was Travis Knight's directorial debut and it was actually received very well.

97% on Rotten Tomatoes with 187 Fresh and only 6 Rotten.

Kubo and the Two Strings

• Like Like x 1
  9. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love his first Transformers movie. I always will. The feeling of sitting in the theater and seeing my favorite characters brought to life on the big screen is something I will never forget.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

And they had their reasons. Hound greatly enjoyed being in the heat of battle, even if it meant roughing it up with his allies. Drift fights Bee because to Drift a warrior's honor and discipline are important. Crosshairs was motivated by how he could benefit from situations and wanted to become his own leader.

Yet all of these fans who consider the AoE Autobots so "awful," despite having more to them than the 2007 crew, never point out how much Drift and Hound respect their leader, and how much they rejoice when Prime is found to be alive. Even Crosshairs calls him "Mr. Leader of the free galaxy." They never note how helpful and courteous Drift is to the humans. Crosshairs did not need to rescue Bee and the humans, but he did. Hound respects Prime so much that he doesn't kill Joshua Joyce despite wanting to because Prime indicates that's not what he wants. Hound goes from seemingly hating all humans in the American Southwest to standing up to Crosshairs for wanting to abandon Prime and Tessa on the Knightship to encouraging Cade in Hong Kong. Okay, so he still asks Optimus if he could, "Squish the bald guy," in Hong Kong, but he's gone from hating all humans to seeing enough good in them through his interactions with the Yaegers to actually standing up for some of them. It's not the biggest change in a character ever, but it's a bigger change and more development than anyone in 2007 with its "developed characters" ever got.

And yes, the AoE Autobots do have more chemistry to them, because their relationships among each other are much better established than the 2007 crew or really any of the other movies. They have a great group dynamic.

What are you talking about?

What "development" did any of the first movie Autobots have in the 2007 film? How did any of them change as characters over the course of the film? I like the 2007 movie, but that's another bullcrap 2007 moment that never happened.

Maybe, just maybe, Bee changed a little bit over the course of the first film, and even that's stretching it. The other Autobots are all exactly the same characters from when they first appeared to the end of the movie.

The AoE Autobots are all fleshed out more than 2007 team, and 2 or 3 of them actually do change through the course of the film. Even Revenge of the Fallen has more robot character development than 2007, and that's saying something. At least Wheelie and Jetfire changing sides to the Autobots due to what they learn over the course of the film is a form of characters changing.

Even Ratchet, in his one scene alive in Age of Extinction, displays more character than in the first three movies combined. He's hiding because Optimus sent a distress message, and when he's attacked he actually tries to reason with the humans. That he tries to reason with them even after they blew his leg off shows how considerate he is. He is shown to care for his leader so much that he would rather perish by Lockdown's hands than give any information as to Prime's whereabouts. That scene shows how noble Ratchet really is.

2007 mainly just said a bunch of exposition about the Cube, Decepticons, and medical knowledge, not that there's anything wrong with that in of itself, although I think his line about being concerned for Prime is a good one.

The 2007 movie was enjoyable because of Sam-Bumblebee, catching the human awe of seeing Transformers for the first time, and the disguises. It was not the best of the films in depicting the characters and personalities of the robots themselves. It definitely wasn't as good as Age of Extinction in that department, which is undoubtedly the film most focused on the robots as thinking, feeling beings. That's not a knock against 2007 as a film that introduced live action Transformers so much as the observation that robot characterization and personalities were not the strengths of the 2007 movie.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I've seen Kubo and the two strings and found it very enjoyable for a stop motion film. A Travis Knight Transformers will have a lot of emotional scenes. Something the last few movies lacked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

I will never miss Michael Bay, he's a bigger hack than Pat Lee ever was. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... Lee ripped people off and destroyed a company and jobs. Bay never did that.

• Like Like x 3
  14. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know opinions are opinions but I still like to echo the above sentiments to the person below. Fair assessment.

[​IMG]
    "There's just some things you can't change."

How much do I want to bet the hatred is based on Transformers alone?

15. Galvatross

A very fair post overall. I admittedly really do wonder why they did what they did in The Last Knight.

The obvious and logical way to have done Transformers 5 and follow up on two movies that did $1.1 billion in box office was to actually continue from the movies that made that much money and not abandon it over shoehorning a bunch of recycled stuff and Unicron.

I kind of wonder if the filmmakers learned the wrong lessons from the previous few films. I think if criticism of the previous films had been more of a mixture of positive and negative criticisms rather than floods of negativity Bay and company may have seen a lot of the good things in the previous few films and not have tossed many of those things out the window.

I also wonder if the writers were the ones that wanted to ignore many previously established things. This information got me thinking: New look at Bumblebee + Interview @Empire

Especially this quote: "Bay’s writers, meanwhile, tell us how they quickly realised that pretty much anything they asked for, they’d get." Either way, Bay should have said, "No," to some of it at least rather than agreeing to all of it. Maybe he was simply getting pulled in too many directions during the production of the franchise that he got burned out badly.

And yeah, comparing Pat Lee to Bay in this regard is laughable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

Or that he's a hackfraud who has never made a single good movie and that he also ruined Ninja Turtles. He makes Uwe Boll look like Stanley Kubrick.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

At least the Dreamwave had redeeming factors and far better artwork. The Bayverse is a hate crime to both the Transformers franchise and the action movie genre in general. Michael Bay is the Andrew Dobson of cinema.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Galvatross

I don't think "Transformers" and "hate crime" belong in the same sentence. Uwe Boll a better director than Bay? Bay a bigger hack than Pat Lee?

These posts are strange.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

No offense, i give a damn for him.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Not gonna lie, Dreamwave/Pat Lee actually didn't give that much of a damn about the source material. Lee himself believed the cartoon came first and the toys second.

And then there's the matter where he still legally owes numerous artists payment for their work (which he put his name on).

And then there's this gem about that "artwork":
    [​IMG]

Bay may be problematic, but at least he was an honest producer who didn't steal the work of other people and then engaged in illegal shit to escape debt.

• Like Like x 1