FAQ and Discussion for the Shout! Factory G1 DVDs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Aug 30, 2009.

?

Got Transformers complete series matrix yet?

1. Yes, I'm soooooooooo happy.

63 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No, I'm Angry but disapointed.

37 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    i am getting the individual sets as it fits my budget better and i have the the first and i am loving every Starscream trying to stab Megaton in the back moment of it!

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The Matrix set is beautiful, just got mine today at Best Buy for $90. Been saving up my coupons. :D 

3. cuters

cuters Diabolist

when is season 2 part 2 hitting retail anyone know

4. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    Not sure on that, but I am curious as well. Could it be before Christmas? That would make sense.

I like getting the individual season sets as they are much easier on the wallet.

5. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did they announce season 3 & 4 were going to be one set. I figured they would break those up like rhino did. $120 still might be cheaper or more expensive than the box set depending on where you find it.

6. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
    Screen shots of Rhino and Shout dvds

I am not a professional here but I love animation. I wanted to see if the shout set was equal to the rhino sets as far as color and crispness. Some of the episodes as I was watching did not look as sharp.

What prompted me to do this was I was watching "Burden Hardest to Bear" from shout and noticed that it looked like a bad copy. It must have been taken from the broadcast version rather than the master version. It looks like a bad vhs copy for most of the episode because I have a line that goes right through the top.

I took that episode and "call of the Primitives to compare. Not much difference in that one but it is very slightly. There are color differences on the one above. I appreciate shout taking some of the braodcast originals to fill in the missing gaps for the 1st season but to me the rhino set is still better. I like the 1st half of the shout set and all the extras but overall I like the rhino sets better.

I have more pics I will post later.

Attached Files:

7. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    um, which pics are which?

8. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
    A few more

Attached Files:

9. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
    first pic is rhino second is shout

10. PrimeOQZ

News Credits:
    Last ones.

Attached Files:

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I noticed some quality inconsistencies as well. Sometimes, the picture has DVD-level crispness and color. Then, from one scene to another, it will suddenly shift to videotape level picture quality and back again.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing that immediately stood out on the Shout edition is that they don't have the Narrator at the end of Dark Awakening. Big deal for me, because as a standalone episode (without the added hinting of "The Return of Optimus") the ending was awesome.

On the other hand I noticed the episode listing on the packaging isn't in the right order as in the discs (Sorry I just bought mine last night)

13. bourdon

bourdon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What retailer carry Matrix DVD set?

I have not been able to find the Matrix of Leadership box set. What retailers are supposed to carry it?

15. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just noticed this "error" on the Matrix of Leadership DVDs

Some of the discs are mislabeled on the menu of season 2, so far i've just noticed and i'm on disc 9 & 10 (haven't checked the earlier discs yet to see if it happens at all, or the later ones to see if only these 2 discs have this "error"), but when you look at the menu (you know the one that says "play all" or "episodes" or something) for discs 9 & 10 in the menu they are called season 2 discs 6 & 7; what?. The disc contain the episodes for what would be disc 9 & 10 (which is what i really care about anyways) and they have the correct number on the cover art of the disc, so finding a particular episode is not a problem. I just posted this to see if anyone had any idea why is this like this, or if anyone else has noticed this (or am I the only one with these on my discs).
    I guess with all the changes at the last minute on the order of the episodes (was it for season 2 or 3 that they changed the order of the episodes from that one in the booklet?), someone forgot to rename the menu on the disc.
    The funny part is that it really doesn't matter as long as all the episodes are where they need to be and the fact that since supposedly it doesn't matter it merited my longest post ever on this forum lol!!!! :lol 
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks guys for the replies.

16. Viper08

News Credits:
    I got mine at Best Buy about a week before the movie hit retailers on Oct 20th.
    Also i just found a couple of errors on the labeling of the disc (not the episodes but the discs themselves; here's the link for the thread i started about that particular issue)
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ust-noticed-error-matrix-leadership-dvds.html

17. Viper08

News Credits:
    No one has seen this at all? i guess that's why i wanted a new thread to see if i could get an answer, here on the back end of this thread there is not a lot of traffic anymore. :banghead: 

18. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Your link links to the first page of this thread, dude. Can you link to the post you're talking about?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what happened.

Anyway, I haven't heard about this issue, and haven't been able to get my hands on my set yet since it's a Christmas gift (don't ask), but I'll definitely keep an eye out for details on this issue.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  19. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Well, I have seen them at Barnes & Noble and Best Buy. Not sure about other stores, though.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    How are they off? I seem to recall the episode listings were in better viewing order. How many discrepancies are there and can you list them?