Fantasy Transformers - kind of like Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dreweido, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's Fantasy Football out there so the question is... how do we do Fantasy Transformers?

My idea: In the starting roughly around January you get 6-8 players who will watch over their 'teams'. The teams would consist of 4 Autobots, 2 Decepticons and 1 category reference character (Micromaster reference character, Euro TF reference character, Beast Wars Reference Character, G2 reference character y'know any Transformers brand reference besides G1, too easy, the person would dominate). For example:

My team:
    Optimus Prime (#1 overall for me, would definitely help to win but could I count on there being anybody on my team showing up this year?)
    Blaster (Unless Blaster is a character in TF2, I might not get much points)
    Sunstreaker (Same as Blaster)
    Camshaft (Same as Blaster but Camshaft is a name that could find itself show up anywhere)
    Lockdown (More Animated repaints! Hurray!)
    Lugnut (Will there be more versions of Lockdown?)
    Micromasters Reference Character (More Storm Clouds!)

I would get points for every figure based on Optimus Prime that comes out that year based on average retail price. So Leader Prime would be 50, FAB Prime 10, Activators Starscream 10, Robot Heroes Blaster 6.

We're not talking G1 Prime vs. Movie Prime vs. Animated Prime we're talking all of them. If it says Optimus Prime you get the points.

The thing is, who's more popular now? Optimus Prime? Bumblebee? Who would you take #1 overall. Now don't forget just because somebody's gotten Bumblebee doesn't mean they're gonna win automatically. You'd get 30 points for that Bumblebee three-pack.

Now say something like the lose the trademark on a name, like they did with Shockwave. If that happens during a 'season' then the person automatically gets whatever the defacto name is (like Shockblast).

Characters that are not necessarily homages to the names they are given will have points given to the owner of the name. (Like Energon Sixshot). Whereas somebody who takes Snarl will get points only if the characters name is Snarl. If they decide to release a G1 Snal homage and call him... I dunno, Mainframe then the person who owns the name Mainframe gets the points.

Here's a look at how the draft would look SPOILERS AHEAD:

Round 1
    1. Optimus Prime
    2. Bumblebee
    3. Starscream
    4. Megatron
    5. Ironhide
    6. Ratchet
    7. Jazz
    8. Blackout

Round 2
    1. Jetfire
    2. Barricade
    3. Bulkhead
    4. Prowl
    5. Ultra Magnus
    6. Grimlock
    7. Long Haul
    8. Lockdown

So if I drafted first, I would taken Prime which is a lot of points but I would have Lockdown as my #2 guy. As you get further into the draft it's unlikely you'll get anything that can really help you out much. The #4 got Megatron and Ultra Magnus. Which combined could end up with more points than a Prime/Lockdown combo.

I think the kick comes down the reference characters. They are like the Defense in fantasy football. If I have that Starscream/Grimlock 1-2 draft I will be looking at getting a good reference characters spot. Could you imagine having the Micromasters Char. Ref. this year? You'd be like hell yeah I want Dropshot, Treadbolt, and Storm Cloud repaints.

Trading could occur up to Botcon. Then all trades would be stopped. Players are free to pick up or release a Transformer during the entire year. (So say if you had Rapid Run since your draft and it's like September and there's no sign of him coming out, then you might want to release him and pick up somebody that might be coming out).

Anyways, thoughts on this?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Awww. Tease. I thought the thread was going to be about fantasy based TFs. Dragons, gryphons, that sort of thing.

Perhaps "Fantasy Transformers League" would have been a more appropriate title? Dunno if you can change it though.

You'd need to balance it out somehow also. Especially if you go by MSRP of the item as some sort of 'power' system. Cause what's stopping me from laying claim to 6 Encore/E-Hobby TFs, which is quite an expensive thing? I'll see your $50 Prime with a $100 Deep Cover or $350 Predaking!

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm yeah could look into changing the title.

The retail toys would be Hasbro and US based only and it's as they are released through the year.

Otherwise you'd have a draft and then you would find out who won that night. Boring! :D