Fantastic Four #539 [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Vangelus, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Happy I picked this up, myself. Definitely recommend at least reading it at the shop, if you're enjoying Civil War.

Last few pages, I don't care if it's predictable or corny. I practically shouted "YOU FUCKIN TELL THEM, GRIMM, TELL THOSE JACKASSES!!" at the book. So happy he's loudly creating the third side of "I'm with Canada and Mexico".

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh oh spoilers pls. my shipments tomorow. :( 

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spoilers ahead, for those of you who clicked into the topic with SPOILERS in the heading but weren't expecting spoilers.

Basically, one of the Yancy Streeters gets killed during the brawl between Cap and Iron Man's forces over the convoy of armored cars or whatever.

Grimm basically chucks a car at both sides, tells them that an innocent kid just got killed.

Cap goes like "yes so join me to stop this madness!"

Iron man goes like "no, join me, uphold the law, I'm Tony fuckin' Stark-"

And then Grimm drops a "STFU!!!!" hammer and dresses down both sides. Says he won't uphold registration because he thinks it's wrong, but he won't fight the government. Basically ends on "I'm outta this backwards country, good riddance and I probably won't come back" and walks off.

Civil War-Reed will probably talk about how he predicted this using mathematics, but eh, I loved it. :D 

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yep. Great issue. JMS can write well when he's not fucking up Spidey history.

5. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Or penning overwrought stories about the rising stars (or its doppelganger the squadron supreme) that go on and on and on and on....

6. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Great issue. I wish that The Thing hadn't been cancelled. I'm sure Slott would have had a great time giving Thing a nice world tour.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Hey, I like squardon supreme.

As for the FF issue. Maybe Grimm will start the new Alpha Flight.

8. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

JMS is getting better... Doom's return was excellent but the few issues before it were lacking.

Grimm is my favorite member and lord know what personal hell he's gonna go though before CW is over.

A man like him will never be on the sidelines for long.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Bingo

I wonder who else would join him? Maybe a few X-men?

10. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Wolverine. I'm sure he's got the spare time.

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I read it after Amazing Spider-Man #534 so it was cool getting the rest of that story.

I hope before leaving the country Thing goes around rounding up a few other heroes to take with him. Essentially making a thread faction. Maybe even pulling a few away fro Cap and Iron Man’s camps.

12. Shipwreck

I'm really starting to have a feeling that Cap and Iron Man will join forces again to take out The growing Thunderbolts army

13. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I thought it was a great twist as I was expecting Ben to join up with Cap's side. Very well done (though some of Ben's speech seemed a little wooden). I'm offically sucked into the F4 parts of Civil War. Damn you JMS. :( 

14. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm confused. If Ben doesn't support registration then why the hell was he fighting alongside Ironman in the main CivilWar comics?

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think the deal is he was going along with what Reed wanted but the more he thought about it the more he thought it was wrong but was willing to go along with it because it was the law. Then when the Yancy Streeter got killed it was the last straw.

16. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

If Ben believes that his country is in trouble, then he should stay and fight for it, not storm off like this. I don't agree with most of the left wing in this country, but I at least respect the ones that are willing to stand up for what they believe, even when I believe the exact opposite of their positions. Only pussies walk away.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    whats the point of fighting if either side your fighting for results in the death of those ppl your trying to protect?

i think ben did the right thing. refusal of action can be an action in itself.

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Gotta agree with Ka.
    Grimm not choosing a side makes the most sense. He sees it the way a rational person would. ( the way i thought spidey would.) the entire struggle is stupid. they arent there to fight each other theyre there to help people. thats what these two sides have lost sight of.

19. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Grimm didn't HAVE to fight in the middle of the streets or endanger anyone to fight for what he believed in. He could have told both Tony & Cap to screw off and STILL have been a vocal opponent to an issue that he believed in. His life is as public as it gets and is therefore beyond the Registration Act Nazis completely. He could still have stayed behind to protect the innocent and speak out. His weight behind the issue would have been more effective than Cap and his merry band fighting Iron Man on the streets of NY, and it would have added a distinct third dimension to the situation.

Comics are read almost exclusively by adults now, so it would have been nice for one of the superheroes in the Marvel U to actually act like an adult once in this series and not deal with the issue by just beating on people. Having the Thing, of all characters, make that sort of choice would have been far more dramatic a character development that having him just tell his country to sod off and run to Canada.

20. Shipwreck

Reed is a d bag