Fantastic analysis of Alien vs. Aliens

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Streck, May 19, 2012.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

"They're different genres! You can't compare them! Howl howl howl hoooooowl!" is what I usually hear during discussions of these films.

At some point in the recent past, I decided to make a serious effort at being more attentive and analytical in my film-viewing, and at acquiring a more-than-layman's background to better enable that. Few things are as frustrating as when you think something is good but are unable to articulate why, and I deeply appreciate others who are able; my favorite critics are David Bordwell, Film Crit Hulk (get past the all-caps and he's one of the most insightful bastards you'll ever read), A.O. Scott, Roger Ebert, and The A.V. Club (I especially love their reviews of older shows like Deep Space Nine and The X-Files, where they go beyond easy nostalgia).

So I was very pleased to trip over this breakdown of differences between Alien and Aliens:

The Throwdown: ALIEN vs ALIENS | Badass Digest

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They're different genres! You can't compare them! Howl howl howl hoooooowl!

I will say though, I can rewatch Aliens again and again, I can't with Alien.

3. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

^^^

Really? I can rewatch both. It's the two movies that come after that I have the hardest time rewatching...

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Two me it is a matter of perspective and crews.

In Alien, they are nothing more space miners on a deep space mission. They are instructed to investigate and one member gets attacked. They try to remove it, but can't. Small attacker alien (Face hugger I know, but from their perspective) comes off. Everything seems fine. Small alien bursts from members chest. now they try to hunt a tiny alien on a giant ship. Tiny alien in now huge. They have no real weapons, nor do they have much fighting skills. They are for all purposes average joes. They all die except 1 member. She barely escapes along with a cat.

In aliens the crew are well trained and hardened military fighters. They know combat and may have encountered other killer alien creatures (nothing as deadly) or at least fought in some battles. The also have first hand knowledge of the alien creatures from the only survivor.

It isn't that the first one was deadlier, it just attacked a more defenseless target. Hell the creatures wiped out hundreds of citizens in the base. Having them attack and kill military personnel makes them a little more lethal than a bunch of deep space drillers.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    hmmm, i thought alien is more of a creature in our house; where as Aliens is us in their house

6. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

As a child, they both scared me senseless.