FansToys FT-28 Hydra (Masterpiece Six Shot)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CliffjumperUK, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reverse that list and you've got it.

I don't know where I'd put KFC/X-Transbots. I appreciate that they're a source of screen accurate MP stand-ins but every one of them has at least one "But WHY?!" aspect to their transformation. Eligos kiiiind of makes me want to let them edge out Maketoys but I dunno. He looks amazing but those tab fit tolerances...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Sorry, autocorrect wasn't exactly forthcoming with that one. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  3. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Others rate figures based on all the things you bypassed, such as overall product quality, attention to detail, design, and articulation, not transformation. That's probably why your list seems strange. For example, most of mine have never been transformed unless they came in a mode other than bot mode. The transformation will inconvenience me once at most, then it gets posed and placed on a shelf. So BadCube wouldn't be near the top of the list because they lack in some of those other areas that competitors do better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    As I said, everyone's got their own standards, and I could easily see how fanstoys could be someone's favorite. It's just for me, and for many who value playability and functionality over display value and finish, they just aren't quite there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

I totally feel ya on having a ranking opinion that differs from most. I'm one of those weirdos that ranks Alien 3 above Aliens for example. I also prefer KFC/XTB to FT. I still like FT's products but I just like the look of KFC/XTB's stuff better most (but not all) of the time. Sometimes XTB isn't even my favorite if there's other options out there. MMC's Inferno is by far my favorite for example. In general I just feel like it's great to have so many options and don't sweat who exactly is making what. I also feel like KFC/XTB gets way too much flack these days. They may have been horrible in the past but that's the past. At least based on my experiences with their products.

On the subject at hand, I am still torn on this or DX9's. There's aspects I like a lot more about DX9's but then there's also things I don't like. FT's for me is an overall better looking package but I don't love some of the design details like I do on DX9's.It's also harder to judge given FT's we have only seen in renders and grey prototypes. (That is still the case right? We haven't seen anything in color?)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

You are dead to me, dedguy. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hahaha! Grammar police Billy clubbing shins on that spelling of Achilles

• Like Like x 1
  8. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    If you create a list like OP, without backing it up (at first), you're inviting and deserving of simple criticism.

9. Chaoticon

Chaoticon Well-Known Member

Some color images would be sweet. Also want to see views of the tail (if there is even one) end of the wolf mode. In my opinion, they really did a poor job with the distal half of the lupus wolf mode and that kept me from picking up lupus even when I found cheap deals on eBay. I know I should not expect more of hydra's wolf mode than I would for lupus given the six changer at hand, but I still hope they would do a better job than DX9. Please surprise me Fanstoys

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Leopard5

Leopard5 Human in disguise

News Credits:
    :lol  That´s true

• Like Like x 1
  11. lcpl101

lcpl101 Member

Ebay:
    Hi,
    1st post here.
    Looking at hydra's apc mode, it looks like the knees can collapse inwards; kind of like FT's dibots knees folding inwards to form the dino mode's lower torso.
    If so, this inwards knee bend can allow the bot mode feet to stand flush on the ground; but gives the leg a somewhat bowed legged appearance.

• Like Like x 4
  12. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Welcome to the family!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    by family you mean a toxic,unhealthy,stabbing enviroment? :) 

• Like Like x 4
  14. lcpl101

lcpl101 Member

Ebay:
    Thank you :) 
    Been reading this forum for a few years already...

• Like Like x 1
  15. GR1ML0CK

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Isn't that the definition of family ;) 

• Like Like x 7
  16. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Really disappointed that none of his alt modes look real.

But they certainly resemble the toy and animation! I really didn't have a ton of interest in this guy but it looks like as good as it gets and fulfills the collect them all plague I've been infected with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    they should offer a bunch of cheaper made cheaper priced ones for those that want 5 more to display in his other modes

• Like Like x 2
  18. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Those thigh swivels though... =\

On one hand, it feels like complaining about pointy elbows on a supermodel, but it really is the first thing I notice ever since someone pointed out how odd they look because they break the sculpt. FT does such nice thigh swivels on most of their figures, so it seems like an odd choice to make the swivel at a square portion of the thigh where any twist creates like a break in the lines of the thigh.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  19. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

I hear you, but the thing with this guy - as well as Dx9 Hanzo, Mmc Hexatron, titans return Sixshot, and others - is that he's simply trying to be faithful to the g1 source material. I really don't think we can knock him for this.

We can knock the original toy, sure, but even it was a product of its time (note how many other unrealistic - aka 'futuristic/cybertronian' - alt modes were to be found in the Masterforce era Transformers).

As you go on to correctly say, Hydra certainly resembles the g1 toy and animation - and much better than his competition, IMHO. To that extent, I think his alt modes are overwhelmingly successful.

There are some small design choices that I prefer in some of the other 3rd party figures, but for pure g1 toy-and-toon faithfulness, this guy looks the best.

(Here's hoping he has an awesome and faithful colour scheme to match!)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Yeah that's all I meant which is why that part was in blue. I just feel like some people are so rigid with the real life alt mode like in Huff2.0 but the fact remains there are many characters that were not based on a real world alt mode. So in that case, I am happy with a great looking head sculpt, bit mode, transformation and color scheme. I only need the ones based on real world to look real wood.

• Like Like x 3