FansToys FT-27 Spindrift (Masterpiece Seaspray)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    potential good news for you from Qingtianzhu (who has contact with ToyWorld) from the TW Bruticus thread:
    Still metallic colours but definitely an improvement. Personally I'm tossing up between XTB and TW at the moment. TW looks a little better in Bot mode, while I prefer XTB's Alt mode... tough decisions
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. intrudermdq

intrudermdq Well-Known Member

I think Spindrift will look really good with the other available minibots (Bumblebee, Beachcomber, etc). A fat Seaspray would look weird in the colecction...

3. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Well, this is going to be productive. "Who cares what youuuuu like, it's what IIIIIIIII like." Here's my issue with the figure, he does not look like seaspray, at all. Sure, the fins and propellers are there. The big floppy feet are there. Anything else? Nothing I can think of. I'm not a fan of the anime style TT has gone with and I'm not crazy about any other option I've seen for seaspray thus far. Normally, I do prefer the heroic inspired design approach Hasui established, but normally figures designed in that way look a lot like the source material. They start with the ugly design we're familiar with and tweak bits of it until the end result. A nip here, a tuck there, and we end up with FT10! Seaspray is not that. I don't know what it started with, but it ended with some slapped on fins and floppy feet. Voila, seaspray! It is not visibly clear that FT started with the seaspray character design, which is why there is so little of him in this figure.

4. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    You do understand that blanket comments like your opening go both ways, right? It's not "who cares..." so much as, the "world doesn't revolve around me or anyone else... so be happy for those who are happy and hope for a better option from some other company for your own tastes". I guess it'd be different if no one else were creating a figure that someone else wants more but when I read, "why can't it look like theirs?" I can't help but ask, "Why not just buy theirs?"

As for source material, well the internet's awesome about that. Here's a random image pull:
    download.jpg

Yep, heroic. Cartoon pudge be damned.

5. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a reimaged Seaspray not the original Marvel Seaspray. Original Marvel was pudgey too.

Seaspray (G1)

6. Vex

Vex The Labyrinth King

Not 100% sold with FT:s Seaspray, but TWs offering is worse in my opinion. Those legs, my god. Hope they fit a kneejoint in there...

7. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Common and release already!!! Cant wait to start messing with this.

8. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I changed my mind on TW Seaspray since it seems even bigger than their Cosmos. Going to go with FT on this one as of now.

9. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

We could just start doing "" in our responses to save time, since it seems like saying the same thing in return is how this conversation is going so far.

I actually don't mind the picture you posted, but that's not how this seaspray looks. On the FT version, waist is too thin and chest is too flat. He doesn't need to be pudgy, but he does need to keep some of the design features from the original. Squared off, rectangular, body, chest protruding all the way down, larger head, rounded arms, rounded feet. At least I can then identify it is seaspray beyond looking at only two characteristics, feet and fins. I'm not arguing against "heroic" designs, as long as they mostly reference the source material.

10. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I can't decide.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hoptimusprime

hoptimusprime Well-Known Member

12. Initial_G

Initial_G Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From Omega Man/HK-TF on FB:

18198609_206536909852050_2502388158316009396_n.jpg

new pic of Koot/Kup & Spindrift/Seaspray
    :) 

• Like Like x 4
  13. trey carter

trey carter The hash slinging slasher

News Credits:
    Seaspray looks a lil,
    "Watered down (get it? No?!?!! I thought so)", but man that Kup is GORGEOUS!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Looking forward to this seaspray. Hope it release soon.

15. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Face seems lacking... hopefully some more color/detail there on the final product?

They need to stop doing that janky mid-thigh swivel that breaks the leg sculpt. Really hoping they rethink that on Hydra in particular, since he has really square legs which makes it worse. Can get away with it on Kup since they're round thighs.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    I agree completely on the thigh cut. It's actually kind of weird that FT still rolls this out sometimes. It seems like it's a holdover from design stylings that are several years old. Most MP scale bots these days try to incorporate a swivel in the hip joint. It's kind of strange to me when you see MP's still use that. Oh well. Kup looks good (I mean, wow a genuinely good FT Face sculpt!) just needs a darker windshield. Sea spray is looking good too. Still not sold on the too heroic torso, but at least he'll be tight and solid. XTbs looks good as well but there are a couple of build elements that have me concerned.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Of course MP-36 has a thigh cut as its swivel. :) 

18. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Hah! He does doesn't he!of course his are a bit higher up but it's there. And it looks bad.

19. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I hope those aren't the final colors on Koot.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    I'm normally one that likes moulded detail on his MPs but with Spindrift I'd actually prefer that they smoothed out him arms, chest and legs. I think it's because he's small but he looks too busy. It reminds me of iGear's Seaspray.