FansToys FT-22 Koot (Masterpiece Kup)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Lol @qc33, that's the only qc sticker isn't it?

The chest split really hurts the figure for me too as it's an eye draw every time you look at it. If xtb do release theirs I'm more than likely gonna swap.

2. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Those elbows really could have been better! Perhaps it's funny, but I think it is the Achilles heel of the figure in terms of looks. I also dislike the feet - the toes should be tighter, because posing can be a bit of a hassle. But, all in all, I think he's a really great figure. I like the split chest, but maybe somebody provides an alternative piece without the split?

3. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meh.

News Credits:
    So.... I braved the Transformation to vehicle and FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!! Aggravating as sin.
    If I manage to get it back into bot mode without breaking anything, it'll be a miracle. ugh.

But hey, at least I transformed the Cranky Bastard. After that ordeal, I think I have a nasty Burn in my Rotator.

Thanks Koot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meh.

News Credits:
    Koot is NOW a Tank. His Target Master partner dares you to say otherwise.

Dh0HaKuUYAATjlC.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, after all the hate it's gotten in this thread, I have to say I've really enjoyed transforming...Koot's target master.

Yeah, Koot's transformation is trash. I actually didn't mind Rouge's that much. But this dude...yes, it's do-able, gets easier with practice and I don't feel like anything is going to break. But it's no fun. And never will be fun.

Looks great on a shelf though, if that's all you care about!

6. tfwmongrel

tfwmongrel Plastic Crack Addict

You know, I don't actually agree with this. If you go out and buy a resin model of a figure this size, the prices are comparable. So if I want a display of characters from a season or movie and need great looking figures to complete, even if I'll never transform them, at least there's charm in knowing that they ARE transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have QC 33, 32, 30, and I THINK 24 as well. That's all I have in my FT's that have the QC stickers on them. It's nothing more than a gimmick from FT. There's probably like 1 or 2 people actually looking these things over. :D 

I put the frosted/clear chest windows on him, and for me it looks a bit better. But yeah, if XTB drops theirs, I may go for it provided they do a good job on their version of MP-style Kup.

The feet on my copy seem fine in terms of tightness. For me, the frosted chest windows seem to hide the split more than the solid ones. So I'm keeping those on. :) 

The Target Master is pretty good. I did transform Koot and it was just as I expected. I don't find it frustrating, I just find it to be not enjoyable. And that's a shame.

I totally see your point. As a display piece, Koot works very well. But the thing is, if a company is out making a Transformer that is designed to actually transform (whether a buyer transforms it or not), it should do so and be well engineered and an enjoyable experience. I rarely transform my MP's, but when I do, I want to enjoy the experience. I like the engineering involved in the process, and I want it to be well planned, smooth, and the end result to be satisfying. And even if a collector does not transform a Transformer, it should be functional as mentioned. That's what makes these "Masterpieces". It should all be there whether you transform it or not.

Example: I want a truck. I don't plan to haul stuff, I just want a truck. But if I do decide to haul something, I want that truck bed to be designed well to handle the load.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Recoil (not sure what non-name they used for him) was an unexpected gem. Wish the face covered up a bit better in gun mode, but he's a solid little partner with great articulation.

Koot though...can't say I'm disappointed because he's been out a while and I knew what I was getting into. I don't buy for a second the notion that his engineering issues are an inevitable by-product of his robot mode sculpt...have the people making that argument seen this dude's backpack? The F/T that was ok with that could have added one more hinge to get the wheels, backpack and hip flaps away from each other.

Thirsty for that complete TFTM/S3 shelf though, so sign me up for Jabber and Whatever-They-Named-Hotrod, I guess. F/T is getting an awful lot of my business by being the only game in town.

9. DrPAYNE

DrPAYNE Member

I got my Koot last week, I was just transforming his targetmaster for the first time and his little arms wouldn't line up, that's when I realized he has two left hands. So if anyone has one with two right hands, get at me!

10. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Report the QC number to dalianjj so that he can tabulate it :) 

11. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the same time I'd also PM dalianjj about the issue or email fanstoys for the replacement arm. There's no telling how long it may take before someone with two right hands makes themselves known.

12. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Got my Koot today. I actually didn't find the transformation to be that bad. Better than, say, Badcube Sunsurge. And way better than FT's Rouge/Arcee.

Though it bothers me that the FT figures I've owned all have limitations in articulation that could have easily been avoided. (i.e., Rouge's feet could use to tilt more, and easily could have been made to do so; Koot & Willis both have limited hip forward motion. That's a bummer.)

13. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

I honestly don't even notice the chest split.

14. LunchBox26

LunchBox26 Well-Known Member

Lol Mine is in a similar position. He is facing the other direction though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. zin

zin Well-Known Member

If anyone needs Koot's instructions and card, PM me. I got a second, sealed set with my copy of Koot that arrived today.

16. RustyScreamer

RustyScreamer Lurkin everyday, rarely postin

If xtb's sees the light of day. I'll jump too.....

17. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Active Member

Twitter:
    Preface: I don't usually find FT transformations as bad as people say. Rouge and Apache had a couple of twiddly moments, but were broadly fine. Sovereign's transformation I actually enjoy. So when I read all the comments on here saying Koot is a pain, I shrugged my shoulders and went "eh."

But....you guys were right. This toy is an absolute pain in the unmentionables to transform. The worst in my collection, without a doubt. And the really annoying part is it doesn't need to be: nothing has to move very far or turn inside out or anything for the transformation to happen, it should be simple, but it's so over-engineered, with unnecessary bits and complexities everywhere, and odd oversights elsewhere. Why doesn't the backpack open further? Why can't the wheel sections rotate out of the way further, especially considering there's a join right there for them to do exactly that but there's a bit of plastic blocking them from doing so for no reason? Why do the legs have to be bent at exactly the right angle for vehicle mode to all fit together, but there's not even a soft ratchet to indicate where that right position is? And why do the bits under his armpits (which the vehicle canopy ultimately tabs into) move, even though they don't need to do so at any point during the transformation, and all it does is make it harder to line everything up at the end?

As it stands, this is a great figure in both modes. It looks fantastic, it feels hefty, he's great fun to pose (awkward hands aside) and I love having him on my shelf - even the chest split doesn't bother me. But it's not a great transformer, and with just a little more development, it could have been.

• Like Like x 3
  18. timcourtois

timcourtois Well-Known Member

Wow—I'm surprised that you found Rouge's transformation to be easier than Koot. I'm not saying you're wrong; just that my experience was different.

19. Ashpolt

Ashpolt Active Member

Twitter:
    The only part I had particular trouble with on Rouge was getting everything in just the right place for her torso to all fit back together when taking her back to robot mode. Other than that it's a bit fiddly, but I didn't find anything frustrating, unlike Koot's hip kibble or tabbing in the sides of the cab.

20. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why? Why?

1. Because diecast.
    2. dalianjj: "It's already sold out."