FansToys FT-22 Koot (Masterpiece Kup)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    The transformation being awful is overblown. It isn't super easy the first time but once you figure it out he's fine.

• Like Like x 5
  2. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meh.

News Credits:
    tell me more. perhaps you can finally be the one person that can convince me to transform him. :lol 

Did you use a really intuitive video review? If so, link please! :) 

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

IMO: there's often a triangle with Transformers, robot mode-alt mode-transformation. FT's recent output (Kup, Arcee, Springer) has very much focused on perfecting the first two at the cost of the third. So even if another company makes an option with a better transformation, you kind of pay for it with a less slick robot. Or alt mode (possible exception: Springer's car mode :p ).

Which is fine, because different strokes. I have both FT and Open and Play's Springer, I really didn't think that would happen but turns out I can totally see the appeal of both. Open and Play by contrast made a less impressive robot (I mean he's still really good under the circumstances but noticeably less premium, and of course the unfortunate face), but the transformation was astonishingly fun, intuitive and simple especially for a triple changer. Whereas Apache... the fit and everything was nice and it came together solidly but man the legs were crazy to line up properly. Much more complicated and less fun.

Anyway, I think you can always hope for another company to make a version of Kup that has a more fun transformation but I doubt it'll match FT's robot and alt mode, which IMO are damn near perfect. Of course I could be proven wrong.

I don't know if it's possible to make robots as detailed, cartoon accurate and premium as FT's, match the alt modes as well as they do (Springer's car mode notwithstanding!) and still have a simple fun transformation. The animation models were often just not intended to be that accurate to a real world transforming toy, so engineering has to get complex and complex isn't always fun.

I've blabbed on, but anyway, I get what you mean. The quest for perfection goes on!

• Like Like x 2
  4. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I gave up.at the final hurdle. I was already pissed with myself causing damage by misreading the instructions and causing mild damage to the arms by stupidly rotating them up instead of down as is CLEARLY indicated. I fault nobody but myself on that one. The final clean up though, couldn't get everything to tab in properly. I like Emgos reviews for these but he has an annoying tendency to do vehicle to Bot even when shipped in bot mode. Ah well, I'll check out Peaugh or Paik4life, hopefully one of those two has done bot to alt.

5. botfan

botfan I'm back

BSF deserves a swift kick for his review of this guy. Laziest attempt at a transformation I've ever seen. My guess is he did that video hung over and was lacking patience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For me, the worst parts are the hip kibble parts; they're just in the way of the transformation no matter which way you go. I was very careful as per usual.

Another thing is that several parts are just REALLY TIGHT. I mean, I'd rather a figure be very tight as very loose, but several parts can barely move. Hopefully, most are now comfortably lossened and good to go.

One thing I really love about this figure is his overall character presence. There's no denying who this character represents.

Also, the binary robot partner needs more love; such a great figure in it's own right!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    The hip kibble was what got me, everything else just fell into place fairly easily. I watched emgo take it from alt to bot and paused it on the part showing where the hip kibble sits in alt mode and was fine after that. It all fits in super tightly but looks awesome in both modes. I won't lie, i wanted to throw it at the wall until i figured out where the hip kibble went. But now that i know, it's pretty much follow the instructions.

8. mcart

News Credits:
    Yes, the hip kibble was killing me, could you share a shot of where the heck it's supposed to go? Thanks

9. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I must be lucky, I've transformed Koot more than half a dozen times and never had any issue with the hip kibble. My issue has always been closing up the sides of the cab.

10. mcart

News Credits:
    Same here.... The hip kibble was in the way :confused2 

11. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I meant on the outside, all the hip kibble on the inside of it was no issue. I don't mean folding the backpack around everything, I mean actually closing up the final pieces. The flaps on the sides of the backpack, the pieces off the front wheels, and the parts that fold forward from the legs.

12. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meh.

News Credits:
    the little dude is aight. I just have nowhere to really put him. I admit never really cared for the target masters. Enjoyed Headmasters and Power Masters though. But transforming weapons was always humorous to me. especially Squishy ones that seem to be contortionists.. :lol 

13. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

Well it was more comprehensive than his FT Rouge transformation, you have to admit.

14. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will surely find out once I get mine either Monday or Tuesday. Who knows, Koot may be a pleasant surprise. That would be great.

I agree, your opinion is yours, and I respect it. I'm also happy that you love your copy of Koot. In the end, if you buy something, and you feel that you got what you wanted and are happy with it, then that is all that ultimately matters.

• Like Like x 2
  15. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I much prefer the story in Headmasters than what we got in season 4.

As for Targetmasters, they're my favorite of the bunch, actually. A robot that transforms into a weapon is cool and actually makes a lot of sense in a civil war.

The one that comes with Koot is really great. Compare/contrast it with say the one that comes with UT Buzzing, for example. It's even b we yer than MakeToys' offering. XTB still owns in this category though.

17. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meh.

News Credits:
    It's even better that Offshoot. The one that comes with MP Roddy.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Sure is.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever even removed Eligos' Targetmaster from his box. Yet Eligos is one of my favourite 3P pieces...

20. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Root arrived in a brown box today.

I'm too tired to transform him, but my initial impressions of the bot mode are as follows:

The Good:
    - Paint apps, construction/materials used, joints, details, and overall look are all flawless.
    - Has a night weight and feel to it.
    - I am happy with the articulation capabilities despite a lack of ab crunch and the waist swivel is very limited unless you don't mind breaking up the sculpt.
    - I like the clear amber bits on his arms and "belt buckle" on his waist.
    - Nice face sculpt.
    - Good accessories.
    - Feels like a high-quality figure.
    - I normally do not like thigh cuts for leg swivels, but since his thighs are round, they work and look fine.

The Bad:
    - The windshield split. I was hoping it would look better in hand, but I still wish they did not do this.
    - Just by looking at it, the transformation looks like no fun.
    - Would have benefitted greatly with some additional paint apps. A little bland on the legs, for example.

The Ugly:
    - Square hands.
    - Limited use of waist swivel unless you don't mind destroying the look of his belly.
    - The backpack is a mess. I don't mind a backpack, just as long as it tidies up neatly. This almost does, but not quite.
    - Elbow joints could have looked a bit better.

Hopefully no ugly surprises when transformed, but this is how it stands for me now that I finally have one. Overall, I'm okay with it. There are not many negatives, but the ones listed are major ones for me that really hurt this figure. For MP's, I want more than just a shelf queen. I want a transformation that is enjoyable. I also prefer a smooth windshield for aesthetic reasons. And a few more splashes of paint detailing would have gone a long way for this guy. I can live with most of the "ugly", but the square hands just throws me off. Sure, he is a robot, but in a fist/holding position, it looks un-natural. And putting the fingers in an open position doesn't make it look any better with the odd "typewriter" fingers. I'm not all that impressed with the car mode from what I have seen. It's rather unsatisfying to look at. I am happy that FT included frosted window parts as that improves the look for me quite a bit. I feel like I got my money's worth here. This doesn't wow me, though. But there is enough going for him that I do like him. If this is the only MP-style Kup we will ever get, I am happy with this. Out of the options we have currently, this is the best one available. If XTB ends up releasing their Locke, and it checks all the boxes for me, then Koot might have reason to worry.

Shout out to QC 33.

• Like Like x 2