FansToys FT-22 Koot (Masterpiece Kup)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by o1dpain1ess, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm damn happy that I unwatched this thread the other day, as the notifications would be driving me crazy.

Anyway, I have no interest in transforming mine, but will indeed be swapping out his face for the Cy-gar one, and his opaque windshield for the translucent one.

2. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    That could be. To better illustrate my issues, here are some pictures:

According to the instructions, it should be setup like this. Pretty impossible to get the wheels out in this way.
    20171030_173158.jpg

But the best way I've found is to unfold everything you can on the backpack, and only fold the upper panels halfway. But you still get some blockage. I've tried just about everything I can think of, and this is my best solution.
    20171030_172937.jpg 20171030_172948.jpg

However, even this way, requires flexing that arm the wheel is mounted on to get clearance. You can see just how much bend happens to unfold the wheels, and its STILL a very tight fit:

20171030_173010.jpg

So I tried folding the wheels out further first. Same results:
    20171030_173044.jpg 20171030_173057.jpg

I mean, ouch, look at that bend! Now the plastic does feel flexible enough...for now. But it is still uncomfortable to do.
    20171030_173108.jpg

I mean, really, how is that supposed to properly clear that?
    20171030_173127.jpg

And the flexing from the front view
    20171030_174225.jpg

And because you have to so forcibly move the parts over top of each other, the plastic has started to gouge
    20171030_174258.jpg

That, to me, is an amount of bending and flexing I should not have to exert to transform a figure. So if anyone can provide a more elegant solution to this, I'm all ears. I'd love to be able to transform him without forcing those parts around each other.

And again, just to be clear, I am not letting this ruin the figure to me. It's still a superb Kup. Sculpt is top notch, paint is great, and the figure feels high quality in hand, but it is till a pretty glaring flaw, imo.

• Like Like x 18
  3. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the detailed explanations and photos. I really dislike that aspect of the transformation and aligning all the panels in vehicle mode.

It's mostly held together by pins so I wonder, even if retro-fit parts were released by FansToys, would it be practical for most collectors to modify?

He looks GREAT but for £80 I expect to be able to transform him without taking the afternoon off!

4. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Such a awesome looking figure, great quality materials, clever engineering in places... but let down by the transformation issues.

Maybe if FansToys deiviated slightly from copying the G1 alt mode if it made the panels easier to move.

Last figure I transformed was Badcube Huff so it's like one extreme to another.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

Pics please

• Like Like x 1
  6. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

EASIER TRANSFORMATION MOD!!!!!

OK, that grab anyone's attention :D 
    For the record I hate it when it comes to this, for the money we're spending this should not be a thing, but that being said this is an easy mod that removes some of the clearance issues from the backpack.
    Expect to spend maybe 5 minutes on this, and it only requires an exacto/craft knife. I've been through the transformation twice since doing this, it does not impact either mode in any way.

What we are going to be doing is shaving off a redundant ridge of plastic from the front wheel assemblies, which will enable us to rotate out part of it and remove the clearance issues it causes
    In the pic below you can see the stock ridge highlighted on the left, and a part shaved one on the right.
    [​IMG]

This ridge stops the arm on the wheel assemblies rotating more than a few degrees, but its not used in either bot mode or alt mode so why its there is a mystery.
    I shaved off maybe 85% of this in the end, just by pressing the knife down and taking 3-5mm off each time.

I'd recommend leaving at least a little of it as it does connect at the end and will help keep that part of the plastic strong.
    Once you're taken off as much as you want the that arm now swings out a lot wider.

[​IMG]

The net effect is that you can move this right out of the way of both the hip flap and the waist piece that need to rotate into his back for transformation, so no clearance issue and no bending of plastic to get them past each other.

[​IMG]

Alt mode still tabs in as securely as ever, as again this ridge is not supporting anything.

Hopefully this'll help a few people out.
    NB; only one person was harmed in the making of this post because he wasn't watching what the hell he was doing with it being very late and stabbed himself in the fingertip with his exacto.....:oops: 

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 35
  7. Slaglock

Slaglock Well-Known Member

great shot. in the movie grims head looks like a whistle to me and for some reason seems very funny to me along with his person arms.... i look forward to recreating this pic too

8. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    OK, YOU WON THE INTERNET TODAY!

I wonder was that FT's intention originally?

• Like Like x 1
  9. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Fanstoys should give you a ring and have you do some follow up engineering for them,on a consultant basis perhaps...

10. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fantoys, give @Orion2703 a $50 voucher or something for his idea.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On topic, that mod looks pretty good. I might have to do that... in several weeks when I finally get the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sadly mine hasn't arrived yet. :( 

13. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Fuck man! I want this!!!! I’m broke as hell right now and am not trading any mp figures. They are here to stay! Hope this doesn’t go the way of Willis

14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Can someone pls take pics of their FT Kup with the transluscent window pls? Thanks in advance

15. gregformercy

gregformercy Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a troll... Which seems to be the flavor of the day... there are a few pics in the thread. Go back to about Thursday or Friday I think.

16. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
  18. A03

A03 Well-Known Member

Just Got Kup today in the mail.Very happy with him:D  20171030_205140.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  19. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

I am craving an FT/PF set of quintessons, sharkticons, and judges so bad right now. Would be great to see a 3-pack from them at some point.

20. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Awesome. Well, I'm definitely not one to shy away from a mod to make a figure much better, so I'll be doing this tomorrow.