Fanstoys FT-17 Hoodlum (Hot Rod)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I really do like psychoshi's Digi.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    They made such a great crotch and chest (even if this is fake).

Well done FT, you have my support in this.

Looks very promising

3. Keldroc

Keldroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have always replaced third party MPs with eventual official Takara versions, but MP-28 is not adequate and I will absolutely replace it with Hoodlum, should it come out and be an improvement, which it already is. So if even someone as dedicated to the idea that Takara makes the real MPs and the third party stuff is purely supplemental is fully in the "MP-28 needs to be replaced" camp, it's not a huge assumption to assume that a substantial number of collectors would be interested in a better Hot Rod.

That's your bad taste, I guess. While no figure is perfect, including Takara's, FT gets as close as Takara does on the regular.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No two ways about it. This will be a better Hot Rod than MP28.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Knight Prime

Knight Prime Well-Known Member

I believe FT's release schedule has to do with how many factories they are using to manufacture the figures, 1 or 2? Also, they like not to gamble too much in one direction. Hot Rod has an official release, so they push forward something that will hopefully sell more and turn a profit to produce something that has a higher risk? Kind of like what Weijiang, KBB, TW does when they release lower cost figures knowingly they will sell in lots. That's probably to fund their higher risk projects.

6. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

It would be funny--in a totally non-funny way--if the chrome on this release is jacked up, too. Man, I really hope it's good.

7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my ko mp28. The head sculpt is completely wrong (I said before: it looks like Springer's face in hot rod's helmet). Besides that, there just seems to be something off about this design.

That said, I can't deny the quality of FansToys figures. As others have pointed out, they do make refinements as they go along so maybe my complaints will be addressed. I probably still won't get it: I have a limited toy budget and I can't see myself spending $100 for a slightly better version of a character I already got for $30. I have their hound, though, and love it, and I'm planning on getting their Arcee.

8. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

Gotta agree. The head and the bodybuilder shoulders make this a pass. I really really hope they change that so I can finally part with my metalverse statue (which is still the perfect portrayal of Hot Rod).

But wasn't the head on the KO much softer/less defined then the original?

9. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Yea the KO face was as if the paint was applied very heavily. It's the only real let down of the KO. besides that and the face the QC isn't as tight as the original it's very good

10. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Sure, ok. Still, it's just an assumption, based on a survey size of one person. So, huge grain of salt and all that.
    I'm concerned with what everybody else wants only so far as it affects the viability of the project. Fanstoys seems to be moving ahead with this project and that's enough for me to know. I like Takara's Hotrod quite a lot, but I was messing with it yesterday, and as much as I love the articulation in robot mode - it's stellar - but anytime you expose the huge space between the chest and the backpack, it just wrecks a lot of the cool poses you were just able to pull off. So I'm very excited about Hoodlum; I just hope it can pose as well as MP-28 can.

11. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    psychoshi's tweaks look GREAT... honestly, I'd be satisfied with just a better head. I can live with Hot Rod looking a bit too heroic... he IS the next Autobit leader after all. Overall even the existing proportions are WAY better than Takara's in bot mode.

12. Devastator21

Devastator21 Offical KFC/XTB Apologist

Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    never liked hot rod. can live with a takara ko

13. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

What changed in the digibash, I don't see anything different from the prototype. Is it just coloring or did he tweek something?

14. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Head, shoulders, hands, spoiler, mainly.

15. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ rubadubspawn1@gmail.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Not sure if comparing a KO pricing to a 3p original figure pricing is really apples to apples.

Ive got the original mp28, KO, and will probably pick up hoodlum just cUse I am in love with ft. Mp28 I think is great. I don't have any issues with my chrome, picked up the KO just cause it's cheap and fun. But I do like the hero proportions ft is throwing on. Why not grab him too?

It's kind of tough to compare something just via pictures but I'm down based on liking the other ft releases.

16. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Nah, I didn't mean it as an apples to apples comparison. I don't collect figures; I collect characters. I've already got a good representation of the character and there's enough right with KO MP28 and enough wrong with what we've seen of Hoodlum, that I'm content keeping my apple rather than "upgrading" to an orange. I guess what I'm saying is that, while Hoodlum is almost certainly going to be a better figure, it's just not enough to inspire me to spend 3p carbot money for a character I already have. Add to that the fact that I'm only able and willing to devote so much money to this hobby: so far I've never "upgraded" a character. That will probably change when the KO MP36 and/or FT's Arcee come along but for the most part, I get a version I like and that's good enough forever.

Also, I reeeaaally don't like Hoodlum's face :p 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

This is an older version without the spoiler raised, but it gets most of the changes.
    [​IMG]

This is more up to date.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  18. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    Yeah, ok, gotta say it, that Photoshop does wonders!

19. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

The thing about Hoodlum is it gets the torso, waist, and legs almost perfect. However the shoulders are high and the head isn't young enough looking. If FTs can make those two changes it will make a huge difference.

• Like Like x 7
  20. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    I agree.

• Like Like x 1