Fanstoys FT-17 Hoodlum (Hot Rod)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Predaking000

Predaking000 Well-Known Member

Just saw this post. Seriously? I didn't know that 1) There was even a KO of MP28, and 2) That it was of better quality than the legit version.

We really are in the Upside Down.

Seeing the upcoming FT releases, I'm thinking of just picking up the '86 movie characters (Galvatron, Springer, Kup, and this Hot Rod) + Omega Supreme and calling it a day, as far as TFs in my toy collection--have a Fans Toys lineup instead of an MP one. I would have been happy and willing to pick up MP-28 were it not for all the reports of the flaking chrome.

2. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 I probably hate you, too

S'true. I didn't realize so many MP-28 consumers got duds. Bummer.

All reports I've heard are that the knock-offs of MP-28 and Ironhide are head and shoulders above the real things.

Weird.

3. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the quality is better than the official. But the chrome is far better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ rubadubspawn1@gmail.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Ive got the original Takara hot rod and I don't see anything wrong with mine. I've got the KO sealed as well but really just bought it to mess around with later. I usually try to find someone non partisan who has both the KO and original for opinions on whether the original is worth getting over the KO. I find sometimes the 'greatness' of a particular KO can get kind of inflated since alot of peeps may buy the KO and for $30 feel "hot dam this is great" and sing it's praises, but may not really know what the original is like.

Hoodlum does look cool though. I'll probably add him that my Rub deals as soon as I can get pricing on him..

As for "just picking up..." lol... Where you been man while the rest of us having been having all this fun collecting and adding these guys to the collection! Jump on it.. Lol.. But make sure you clear out a crap load of display space!

• Like Like x 2
  5. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    +1 on the KO's and reviews. I haven't transformed my Tak Hot Rod but it also seems to be pretty good without issues.

I look forward to Hoodlum being released, especially since he looks better next to other FT's products, i.e. Kup, Arcee, and Springer.

6. Jdk504

Jdk504 Well-Known Member

Did FT announce when their versions of Hot Rod, Kupp, Arcee are going to be announced and or released?

7. franpincho

franpincho TFW2005 Supporter

Every single prototype FT has shown is up for pre-order, except for their HotRod and no one knows why.

I'm thinking they are doing that because the official is just fresh, and even though some don't like it, the fact remains that it's out there, and a lot of collectors are just fine with it.

Or just cold feet, maybe?

8. Jdk504

Jdk504 Well-Known Member

Ok good to know. Maybe that have some agreement with Takara/Hasbro where they have to wait X amount of days before they can release their own? I"m really wanting their version of Hot Rod, Kupp, and Springer.

9. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

OMG there hasn't been a pre-order, this is cancelled for sure!!!!.
    Seriously tho the explanation is likely to be more mundane, ie they are concentrating on other projects first, and the release is so far in advance that it's not worth having a placeholder for it. There's more than enough people not happy with the official to warrant this
    There's no agreement with HasTak, I'm sure gentlemans agreements with companies impinging on their IP is not a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the ko is better. Everybody who's seen both says the chrome is better. Most everything else is about equal but the face on the ko isn't as good. Like it looks like what you'd get if you took the official and put too thick a layer of paint on it or something. Pretty sure it's not the paint though: just not as detailed.

Disclosure: I have the ko but not the official.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

A lot of collectors are not fine with MP-28 and FT announced this project full well knowing that fact. I think the prototype as dalianjj stated is going through revisions and FT put items up for preorder when they have a definite spot in their schedule. This is the busiest and most successful time in FT's history and they have a ton riding on Phoenix and Terminus. They have a lot of stuff coming out already and it gives them time to release other projects until they get Hoodlum where it needs to be. FT commonly work through revisions to characters like Apache where the final version is a departure from the first render. They take the time to get it right.

12. franpincho

How do you know this? source?

Based on social media? or just these boards?

Fun fact, we don't account for the majority that buys these things. FT's version won't make a dent to TT's sales on MP-28. And let me assure you that they now this. Credit where its due, they are willing to bet against that, and that takes balls. Good luck to them.

Personally, I'm just fine with MP-28. Won't buy another version.

Also, FT "taking the time to get it right" is absolutely subjective. Nothing they do looks right to me for the most part.

13. Jdk504

Jdk504 Well-Known Member

You make a good argument and it sounds very plausible. I'd rather they take their time to get, so we all get a quality product. Fans Toys is known for their quality and their many revisions. Every time I look at my Dibot set and Willi's I am
    amazed! I can't wait for HoOdlum and the rest of the gang.

14. luckyman76

You do realize this is the thread for FT Hoodlum, not MP-28? The argument you are making is a straw man. No one is arguing that FT is going to outsell TT or that all collectors are on this message board. I would argue that this board and others like it represent a good cross section of the collector market which is why the boards are monitored. FT obviously feels that there is a part of the market that remains for this character. Options are a good thing. Usually the production runs are around 2000. dalianjj is the rep for FT on this board so he provides updates on the status of the figure.

Of course my opinion is subjective, AS IS YOURS. That is a given on a message board. If you don't like any of FT figures I don't know what to tell you other than you are missing out. I think KFC/XTB has the best designs but I really only care about the figures and collect from all companies. No one company is going to make all of the figures. We all have a lot of TT figures as well. Check the company loyalty at the door and I think you will find a lot of things you like.

• Like Like x 1
  15. franpincho

First of, I do collect 3P. Yes, I prefer TT when the official exists. Nothing wrong with that.

All I did was assume as to why the delay on the PO on this specific release.That's it. It wouldn't be BAD for FT to delay it a bit, so that the MP-28 release's hype is dead. It might be for 100% of you FT fans, that is a given, but FT is still a business.

While I don't like many of the FT figures, I do own Sovereign, and I think he looks good, even though the alt mode is just bad. I'm sure as hell getting their Skyfire and maybe their Omega, unless it happens to be a diecast statue.

16. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Step 1: Demand source from other posters.
    Step 2: Declare own statements as "fact" without source
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit?

• Like Like x 5
  17. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

:hookday  here is some food

• Like Like x 1
  18. Devastator21

Devastator21 Offical KFC/XTB Apologist

Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn 

19. luckyman76

I had forgot but I should let you know that there was a preorder for Hoodlum but it got pulled back from additional preorders because of the schedule change with some sites like TFSource and TCP listing that they sold out. The hype for MP-28 is long since dead with the KO having been out for a while. Your reasoning for why you would delay it is sound like what is happening with XTB Dante/DaVinci but this came out over a year ago and now has a KO so that was already factored into FTs plans. None of this is about being a FT fanboy, its just about knowing the history and trusting feedback from dalianjj.

20. zgbsn721

zgbsn721 Well-Known Member

IMG_1094.JPG

Hopefully this delay is due to @Psychoshi 's digis . Maybe they realized how close they were to blowing away the official and are making the necessary tweaks to this guy.

Full disclosure, I've had the official since it came out and the car mode is excellent, but I feel the bit mode is lacking. But I'm not so sure I'd pick up hoodlum, unless it gets closer to these digis.

IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG

And dear lord do I hope we get a rodimus too :p 

• Like Like x 7