FansToys FT-15 Willis (Masterpiece Hound)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Supposedly hes been pushed back for so long, hausi was working on a hound.

2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @botfan ...
    upload_2017-10-4_20-33-13.png

They have jumped the shark. If you've noticed in the past year Takara hasn't put out out a wide variety of completely all new MP molds/figures/characters. Instead a significant amount have simply been repaints and slight retools of existing molds, many (but not all) of which came from the famed, higher quality Hasui era. I'd say Ironhide, Ratchet, Grapple, Inferno, Artfire have been their better quality releases post-Hasui. Everything else post-Hasui has quality that ranges from lackluster to poor. You name it from the super cheap feeling, unpainted MP Shockwave to the overpriced, floppy, bad quality, accessory starved MP seekers. Within that same year or so we've seen the rise of KOs of TT MPs that, not only were much cheaper in price but surprisingly superior in quality to the official TT versions. If TT truly is phasing it out it's G1 MP line in favor of Bayverse MPs then I have even less incentive to buy official Takara MPs since G1 style MPs/KOs/3Ps accessories are my only concern. Overall, within the last 1-2 years between 3P and official TT, TT seems to be the least concerned about delivering true value to it's fans (within 3P XTB/KFC is the least concerned about delivering value). TT quality has taken a dive while their pricing has skyrocketed. Can anyone truly say with a straight face that if the Takara of 2017 (not 2014) released their own MP Galvatron, MP Dinobots, etc that they would be better quality products than what has been released by 3P already? Cesium has barely been out a month and it is sold out at many shops, same with FT Terminus Giganticus part A. So between better pricing and higher quality from 3P and KOs the competition has become quite fierce. I mean we have at least 4 cheaper priced KO MP36 Megatrons coming soon, some of them with added tweaks.

It is apparent that HasTak's bigger priorities are non MP lines like Legends/Titans returns. And when it does come to newer MPs, they seem to be a bit more focused on non-G1 aka Bayverse. It's as if they are slowly phasing out heavy involvement in G1 MPs. They know the competition from 3P and KO is fierce.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

The only thing that could tempt me to replace Willis is if TT figures out a way to make him carbot sized in robot mode but in scale with the other vehicles in alt mode as well. Possibly via witchcraft.

Probably the only flaw in mine is that the ankles are getting a bit unreliable. It's one of those weird things where sometimes they go floppy and he falls over, but if you fiddle with them they "stick" and he'll stand up fine. I haven't looked at it closely, seems like a very thin connector with the side of the leg - I assume it's a pin or something? Has anyone tried fixing that via the usual methods, nail polish or whatever?

4. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

I really feel like MP collectors need to wake up to the current state of the TT MP line. All this talk about 3Ps being "stand-ins" until TT releases something is a 2014 mindset. Things have completely changed and the stuff FT is putting out is so far ahead of TT that we should consider the TT MPs the "stand-ins". I'm looking forward to see what FT does with Hoodlum, since they try so hard to please their fans, and what people will do with their Hot Rod once they see the alternative. The TT MP reign is over and it's their own fault due to their ridiculous business decisions.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

In your opinion, I suppose. I don't buy anything with the intent of it being a stand in. That being said, I buy things on the merits of the individual figure, regardless of who manufactured it. Case in point is the upcoming Sunstreaker. I bought the BC version, not as a stand in, but because I wanted a Sunstreaker and I liked what BC did. But I'm still getting the TT version. Not because TT made it, but because I think it looks better, and I fully expect the transformation/engineering to be what I consider "better". I could be wrong about that, only time will tell. But IMO, it just looks better. If, once I get my hands on it, it's a mess, I'll be selling it.

I get that you like FT, but it's a stretch to say the FT version is so far ahead. Hoodlum is a good example. TT Rodimus isn't perfect, but I have just as many issues with Hoodlum as I do with MP-28. And as great as Grinder is, if MP-08 scaled better with the current MP line, I probably wouldn't have gotten Grinder. Again, not because it's TT, but because IMO it captures the character better.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I'm not really wedded to any particular line, to be honest. I just want a certain aesthetic, with acceptable QC, and most importantly, presence. TT did and still does some good work. The 3P MPs also do some good work. I cannot judge a line based on a single product, for if I did, I wouldn't have a lovely triple case full of expensive robots.

• Like Like x 3
  7. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    His center of gravity puts a lot of weight on some very small areas of his leg/ankles. It does affect his stability.

He is not a super articulated figure, but he poses well enough for me and looks awesome. He will look doubly awesome ince I install my new shelf with the Ark backdrop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

How is hoodlum a good example? He hasn't been released yet.

9. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

As one of the few FT figures (planned or otherwise) where there is a direct TT equivalent, it's a good example of how FT isn't so far ahead of TT that my MP-28 can be considered a stand in. We've seen what he currently looks like, and based on the current prototype, I'm not planning on replacing my MP-28.

As for a TT hound, hopefully it's true because I like more options, but I'm not holding my breath. That other thread is like a bunch of people playing darts. Tons of speculation and "I heard it from someone who knows" kind of stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bct103

bct103 Member

I'm holding out hope for a TT Hound, if for no other reason than the fact that I missed out on FT-15 when he was released (I really wasn't into collecting 3rd Party stuff until a year or so ago - didn't know what I was missing! :)  ). If somebody knows where I could find a decently priced FT-15, I wouldn't care if TT ever released one....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Devastator21

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wait for tt hound to be revealed.

12. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

Anyone want to buy my mine?

Minty fresh with rock solid ankles. No QC issues. Transformed only once. Comes with repro label set, half on and half still on the sheet. Also comes with the awesome ATP Designs misslie launcher shoulder adaptor. Also have all paperwork, but no box.

$105 shipped in the US.

13. Madgame

Madgame Well-Known Member

This is sound advice. If you wait you not only get a choice of which Hound you like better, if you do end up liking the FT version you in all likelihood will be able to get a deeper discount on one from those selling for an official. If you can't wait or just want Willis, by all means go for it and let us know your thoughts when you get him!

14. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    There may be hope for a Willis reissue. Toy Dojo and TCP are now taking preorders for the long awaited 2nd reissue of blue FT Soar so who knows Willis may be next.

15. Devastator21

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Im just waiting for a deal on willis. Till hausi comes back im dont see mysekf buying any official mps.

Offical announced or willis reisuse. Whatever comes first.

• Like Like x 1
  16. xenogears

xenogears Well-Known Member

No word if/when a reissue might happen?

17. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

I have the same problem with my Hound. I'm sure it's a very widespread issue due to design (overlooked potential problem?). I tried using Pledge Future and nail polish, no joy. I disassembled the ankles and used Loctite in the hopes of it being able to have a tighter hold to stand up just right. It seems to have worked as it was the loosening screw that was causing the easy tilts and tip-overs I think, and now the screw has something more to bite on.

18. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    You'll have to PM @dalianjj to ask. Let us know what he says.

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still loving my Willis. :D 

I just need an Ironhide and Cliffjumper now for a full season one Autobot MP cast. :D 

20. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly Optimus, Soundwave, Laserbeak, Wheeljack, and Ultra Magnus are the only official MPs I'm not actively hoping for a replacement for (though I would still buy them if they were made). Maybe the Sideswipe mold, maybe. There is no other MP that I feel does the job I want it to do. I haven't even bought a new Takara MP mold since Ironhide, and I only broke down and bought that when the 2nd run added the diecast drill accessory (still surprised how heavy it was at that size)