FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Ravensnow

Ravensnow Member

Just buy a Macross VF-1 and you got yourself a G1 Jetfire

• Like Like x 3
  2. trey carter

trey carter The hash slinging slasher

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. No. No. For 1 the colors on macross dont match jetfire from what ive seen. 2nd the size is off. Id want the figure to be Phoenix height, theyre either too small or too big (again from what ive observed). Lastly, its looks to be made of that gundam lightweight model kit plastic, no thank you.

3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have they had their downs, most certainly. However overall they are the best 3P company hands down. This includes their stellar after sales direct-to-customer support.

4. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No Valkyrie I've owned was made of model plastic. Especially the 1/48 ones. They're really solid.

• Like Like x 2
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  5. barok

barok Well-Known Member

Selling my Phoenix if anyone is interested.
    FT Phoenix

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'd be happy with a helmet and armor add-on. Surprised no one has done it yet.

7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm not going to quote anyone, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm calling them out specifically when I'm really just sharing my own personal feelings on the subject. But, yes, there are a number of people on these boards who feel that FT is far and away the best 3P company out there. Some of them feel so strongly about that they even seem to mistake their opinion for an objective fact. Some have probably crossed the line from fans to fanboys (or fangirls). It's not uncommon for people to declare the FT version of a figure as the definitive must-have version of a character even when it's early in development, and from time to time you'll even have people saying that they'll wait for FT or that a figure is a placeholder until FT's comes out, even when there's been no announcement of FT doing said character beyond a vague promise that FT will get to every character eventually.

Me personally, though? FT is a good 3P, but they're not the only good 3P, nor are they necessarily the best. Sometimes FT really nails it, and when they do the final result can almost make you see what the hype is about. For me, that group includes figures like Phoenix and Sovereign.

But they've also had plenty of releases that, while good, aren't really clear-cut winners in my eyes. I have DX9's Omega Supreme, Gigapower's Dinobots, and Maketoys' Hound and Reflector because I prefer them to the FT offerings.

I also think they have plenty of misses, either due to QC (Tesla, Forager), questionable aesthetics (Spindrift, Dracula's bat mode), poor engineering (Rouge, Koot, Apache, kind of Spindrift again), or a notion that FT is loading a figure up on diecast and paint in the hope you won't notice they phoned it in (Lupus).

At the end of the day, I try to treat FT the same way as I do other 3Ps. If they announce something that interests me I'll keep an eye on it, hope for the best, and try to wait for reviews before pulling the trigger. If it's a character I want badly enough sometimes I'll jump the gun and preorder for FOMO. Sometimes that pays off, and sometimes that leaves me listing Rouge in the B/S/T section. Sometimes I'll buy a figure from them I'm not totally keen on because it's the only option or the best of a bad bunch. But I could say pretty much the exact same thing about DX9, Maketoys, XTB, Maketoys, or one of of the other big 3Ps.

But whatever. Buy whatever you like, FT or not. As long as you're happy with your own collection, right?

• Like Like x 17
  8. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Damn and to think I got mine for $205. Good thing I’m keeping him.

9. Ravensnow

Ravensnow Member

Looks like there’s a fire in the sky; some might call it, a “Skyfire.”

Attached Files:

10. ThisIsBadComedy

ThisIsBadComedy Active Member

Ebay:
    You really think they phoned it in with Lupus?! That’s seriously one of my favorite figures of theirs. Like as soon as I got him I checked him against a G1 cartoon pic and they got it right down to the tiny details. I’m not sure how anyone could do any better. And he is a ton of diecast. But they used it well and put it in the right places to weight both modes properly. There’s only Head kibble which is accurate and no gaps and it’s basically a carbon copy of the G1 cartoon. What exactly is phoned in there? Not being rude, just genuinely curious what you think cause that’s never even crossed my mind. Kinda the same note with Dracula too. I get the gripes with his alt but that’s just how he looks lol. The only big changes they made was to his wings which went from okay to absolutely glorious and extremely posable. I’m guessing you don’t have either of them?

11. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    I got both lupus and dracula a couple weeks ago. Both look great and are easy to transform. My lupus has 0 issues with the cockpit dropping either. Don't get all the hate for figs that looks like they are supposed to.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThisIsBadComedy

Ebay:
    I haven’t had any problems with him either. No problems with either and both look incredible with my KFC Apeface and Snapdragon and I’ll be adding FT Chomp as soon as it comes out. Imo they completely nailed both. And I love the weight and great paint myself. I’d much rather have that and have the figure look and feel good than have no diecast and all colored plastic and have it look and feel cheap. I kinda think the Fanstoys haters are just hating on the best just because they are the best. It happens in pretty much everything. People wanna just go against the grain instead of admitting that they probably are the best 3P out now in terms of quality and quantity. Others are good too and they haven’t nailed every single figure of course. But when people come down on them for stuff like this it seems like hate for hates sake. I mean Lupus is almost an exact copy of the G1 cartoon. Like even down to the tiny little chest, head and leg details. There’s really not much room for improvement. I guess you could make them outta less diecast but why? It feels great as is and looks and performs just as good. Maybe a few ppl got bad copies and if so they shoulda just returned them for ones that were made like they’re supposed to be. I haven’t had any issues with any FTs come to think of it and literally every other brand I have. Heck even Takaras QC is garbage now. But FT is always great. Don’t get the hate at all.

13. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Because, and I sometimes think this might be the difference between the FT fans and people like myself who see them as nothing special vs other 3Ps, looking like it's supposed to is only half of the equation for some people.

Yes.

As ol' Skullface might say, if you like it you win.

Yeah, we're in agreement on this. Lupus looks the part. And for what it's worth, it's rarely the look of an FT figure I have a problem with. I think Spindrift is the only real exception. I mean, I'll be the first to tell you that even their Dinobots and their Omega Supreme look great, I just happen to prefer Gigapower's dinos and DX9's Omega.

But, like I said, for me looks aren't everything.

Due to the way his wolf legs form the soles of his robot feet if you don't have everything lined up perfectly he rests on his wolf legs but the yellow part of the foot looks like it's floating off the ground. He has limited outward shoulder movement. His elbows can bend about 90 degrees, which is honestly fine, but since the elbow is double-jointed it'd have been nice if he could have had more elbow bend. The articulation in his feet is atrocious. When transforming his forearm into robot mode his forearm stops but doesn't really lock into place and has a bit of wiggle. The flaps on the backs of his calves don't secure either. The bottom of the flaps just stick out far enough that you can't close them past a certain point, and friction alone keeps them in place. Those same flaps have tabs on them that look like they should plug into slots on his hip skirts in wolf mode, but they really don't reach. His grip on his weapons is kind of loose, and the pin at the base of the sword is looser than a Hasbro ball joint. So, yeah, he's got a nice, cartoon-accurate sculpt. He's got a ton of paint to give him a premium look, and a ton of diecast to give him a premium feel (since, subconsciously, most people tend to associate heavier objects as being higher quality). I just happen to think that the engineering of the figure is pretty basic bordering on lazy.

No, if you look at the cartoon (either the US Season 4 or The Headmasters), or if you look at the G1 cartoon, Mindwipe's robot arms are tucked in flat and straight against his body. Dracula's arms can't. There's always a little bend to his elbows that leaves unsightly gaps in the torso. If they'd designed the biceps to collapse a bit that'd have been best, but even changing where the forearms peg into the fold-out tabs would have allowed the arms to at least sit straighter and more flush with the torso. Honestly, I think that it looks so bad that it was nearly a dealbreaker for me.

You'd guess wrong, then. I have Maketoys Headmasters and love them, so I picked up Lupus to go with them. I grudgingly picked up Dracula, too; Lupus seems pretty hard to come by, now, and I had FOMO. Bottom line, I don't see anyone else doing those characters, and I want those characters in my collection. Down the road, though, if someone else wants to take a stab at the Decepticon Headmasters I'd be open to replacing both of them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ThisIsBadComedy

Ebay:
    A lot of stuff here and I’m tired but TLDR sounds like you might have gotten a bad copy of Lupus. I have zero wiggly joint problems anywhere. But the legs to take a certain touch to get right, you gotta be precise on ur transformation and everything goes well. The panel that doesn’t connect to anything on the calves is probably my only gripe but it stays in place perfectly when moving him around on mine and only moves if I move it. And since this is meant more for display and not play it doesn’t get moved too much so I haven’t found it to be an issue. A tip on the feet though that may help: it doesn’t need to be lined up correctly or anything but it’s very tight when it gets folded up and takes some force. It’s all diecast so it can take as much force as you need. If you pinch the toes of the foot and the bottom and squeeze it’ll all push into place and the foot will be completely flat. Also it’s hard to explain but there’s a way to lock the feet in position after you’ve gotten it wherever you want it. There’s this plastic curved piece on the outside of the foot. The first piece of plastic you see on the outside from the bottom. When you position the foot you’ll notice it gets loose but after yr set up if you push that inward it’ll lock the feet in position.

15. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

News Credits:
    You actually CAN get a pretty accurate alt mode with the arms. They don't tab in but they pretty much stay there.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Early leak on weibo c/o 小蜜蜂小王子

FansToys

04.jpg 02.jpg 01.jpg 03.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 05.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 23
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is absolutely beautiful.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

On this new version, is the white "pearly"?

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Certainly looks to be pearl white.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

So now the red everywhere else matches the red on the legs?

• Like Like x 3