FansToys FT-10 Phoenix (Masterpiece Skyfire)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cyclonus79, Apr 27, 2014.

1. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did we all marry Asian women? Transformers and Asian wives make men happy? That's what I'm hearin'

2. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Aside from the relentless nagging and huge extended family obligations, i can't complain! Haha

• Like Like x 1
  3. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

No proof yet, just some speculation. There's a likelihood it will be released.

4. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

They are all on Dailymotion ^^.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

No matter what happens, and most likely you ARE f@#ked, it WILL be worth it. I had this bad boy pre-ordered from the moment it went up, and received it the first week it was released. I can assure you that he is pure awesome, and you will not be disappointed. Even if your wife divorces you, it will not matter. He is big enough to take the place of your wife in bed, especially a tiny Asian wife. You can spoon with him, and cuddle with him. His arms are big enough to wrap around and hug you, you will feel safe, and secure in them. Who needs a wife, when you have a giant phoenix. (See what I did there, giant Phoenix, think about how that sounds, lol)

• Like Like x 3
  6. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    Haha I wish Chris Tucker was still relevant.

8. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Kidding right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WyldeBill

WyldeBill You will ride eternal. Shiny and chrome.

Ebay:
    Went to the Toyhax booth at Tfcon Toronto and chatted with the designers. They had a preview copy of the Reprolabel set for Phoenix. Said it's based on GI Joe style stickers w lots of caution symbols etc. made from same clear vinyl. Really brought life to the alt mode they had on display. There's even a hatch label with little Autobots inside. Said will even have a red Decepticon symbol to emulate an animation error from Sunbow. Also they throw in some Macross logos. Sorry I didn't get pics. Stay tuned they're on the way!

• Like Like x 2
  10. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    It was directed towards my wife. I didn't declare it as racist so I don't think you should worry about it. A lot of people want to say 'that's racist!', but unless someone flat out calls someone a slur you should probably just ignore it.

I get that the person assumes all Asian women are tiny, and my wife is as tall as I am (we're both tall), but who cares. He didn't hurt my feelings or tarnish her honor. Everyone's ignorances aren't a reason to chastise them.

• Like Like x 5
  11. hayabusa

hayabusa Skyfire

This is great news explosive news hard to believe that a awsome figure could be even better

12. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    I'll leave the error so transformer fans in the future don't read through my final days while confused. Haha

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I just got paid and I wanted to buy a few unofficial Transformers - play it a little less safe than TakaraTomy as I usually do (which isn't to say I don't have third-party products, but most of them are usually too expensive for me and often not my cup of tea, so to speak). I love Masterpieces but I don't really feel the need to buy characters who are inevitably going to get official figures (such as Jazz and Hound), but Skyfire... I don't see an official Skyfire like this ever happening, especially not at this size (and arguably in scale, even though I think I'd personally prefer him a little smaller - he's still technically meant to be huge, so I'm okay with that).
    He's quite expensive though, and I live in New Zealand so US and Canadian retailers are out of the question from the get-go.

I'm familiar with the general, um... "fan base" that FansToys have, but I'm curious if anyone has any unbiased-as-possible opinions (I know, I know) on Phoenix to share.

What I'm saying is that it's almost NZ$300 and I need convincing. I watched videos and looked at photos and I kinda really want one, but I'm not sure if I $300 want one nor if it's entirely worth it. Are there any common QC issues I haven't seen mention of, for instance?

Those MP-style Dinobots from all the third-party companies look great but I don't have the money to drop on a set (nor do I even own an MP-08 or variant or KO) so while I'd like some Dinobots, I feel that I need all five or none, and I can't commit to that right now. Plus I really love G1 Skyfire's design and I don't think Hasbro/TakaraTomy have ever really captured his (cartoon) essence in any of the official toys (usually going much more for the G1 toy design/VF-1 Valkyrie look).

I also really don't want to be hit with import taxes, but I think they only apply when it's NZ$400 value or more, shipping included (it's been a while, so I can't remember the exact limit).

Oh, and um, I had a look on eBay: 2017 COOL Transformers TOY FanToys FT-10 Phoenix MP Jetfire G1 Action Figure | eBay
    Is KFT the only known (and as of now, still upcoming) KO? The price is a lot lower than some of the others on eBay, but it's also a bit more comfortable. Obviously I want the cheapest price, but I'm still wondering if it's worth it over buying two or three smaller figures instead.

Long-ass post but I don't have a ton of money so when I can afford these things, I tend to be really indecisive, considering all the choices out there.
    Part of me just wants to get one or two of the official Masterpieces that I don't yet have, but... Gah, I really do like Skyfire.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any input.

14. zgbsn721

zgbsn721 Well-Known Member

Honestly man, he's a very impressive figure.

My only two criticisms, which are probably in any video review you might watch, are:

1. No waist swivel.
    2. Foot articulation is pretty lack luster.

The KFT KO is the only one I'm aware of, so you are probably pretty safe there.

The Fanstoys Dino's are pretty awesome as well, if I had to make a choice between like stomp or grinder vs phoniex, I'm not sure which way I'd go.

Anyway hopefully that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Thanks.
    Yeah, I noticed those two criticisms but they're not a big deal to me. I'm still just wondering if the price is worth it when I could get multiple figures for the price of this. It's a shame I can't try figures like this first! Oh well. Hmm, I'll have to think long and hard about this though, but it's very tempting...

16. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

On the former point, that's technically untrue. Phoenix does have a waist swivel, but you have to leave his hips unlocked from their tabs to access it, and it really doesn't amount to much. His backpack just really gets in the way.

I can't deny the latter point, though. His ankles are a little too tight, making it hard to get them to the exact position you'd want, and the side tilts are limited.

Still, Phoenix has incredible presence, and is incredibly solid. @TCJJ, he is well worth the price. As well, if you have any problems with Phoenix, you can contact Fans Toys at [email protected] to see about getting it sorted out. Still, I wouldn't fault you for considering a cheaper KO option or purchasing several far less expensive figures instead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

Not to throw a wrench in your thought process, but I'd probably take 1-2 MP dinobots over Phoenix and gradually build up to the entire team. As much as I enjoy Phoenix, the real things that stand out to me versus another 3P MP project are the fantastic hands and the commanding size. But, overall he's too big and his leg articulation is too limited to do some really crazy poses for display. Offhand (if we're sticking with FT) I'd go with a Grimlock or Sludge or even Swoop. Grinder and Stomp are both pretty damn big bots with a lot of presence and great articulation and balance. Soar isn't the best FT product out there, but when he's on a flightstand with his chrome wings extended, it's really a big eye catcher.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hayabusa

hayabusa Skyfire

Yes he is worh it as qc issues the sooner u get one the better u have chance to swap out for better one but some treaders are complaining about breaking a tab which can be avoided by jus being more careful and reviews dont give this fig justice in hand is much more grand

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dunedain

Dunedain Winter is coming

@TCJJ - I am not a Fanstoys groupie, I like what I like. Sometimes its Fanstoys, sometimes, it Takara/Hasbro, sometimes its X-transbots, sometimes its DX-9, so on and so forth. I own from many companies. I happened to, coincidentally, buy Grinder, Scoria, Sever, and Phoenix, all at the same times. I received them all within a few days, to a few weeks of each other. I can assure you that they are ALL great figures. You will NOT be disappointed with ANY of these guys.

Now, that being said, if money is an issue, which is the impression I got from your post, you might want to steer away from the Dinobots. You are going to order one, and WANT EVERY one. It is going to cost you much more in the long run. Honestly, Phoenix is AWESOME, and it comes thru in your post that you REALLY want him. You are in a Phoenix thread, asking about Phoenix, not some dinobot thread.

Get him, you will not be disappointed. He is huge, and articulated, and imposing, and awesome. and you know you want him. GET HIM, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine arrived yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to take him out of the package and play around with him yet, I opened him up for a quick look. Pictures do not do this figure justice. He is absolutely huge. I am totally satisfied with my purchase already. If you're on the fence, I say don't wait. He is worth every dollar from a purely shelf presence standpoint.

• Like Like x 1