FansToys FT-08 Grinder (Masterpiece Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by wildfly, Jun 4, 2015.

1. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Should we get a poll going?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    That's just not fair. FT MULTIPLE times has shipped toys with problems and shipped the fix with the next toy, thus requiring you to buy more toys. Examples: Sever's improved leg panels, Soar's die cast clips, new dino faces including an entirely new head to replace Sever's initially off-model one, new face for Perceptor (which wasn't actually better, but still)... I mean, if you want a complete stand for your Phoenix, you need to buy Soar or Sovereign!

It's not the end of the world but FT is kind of the king of this, followed by ToyWorld. The only time I can think of KFC doing this was when they shipped the new Apeface face with Snapdragon, and I can't think of a time BC did this off the top of my head. Did they have an accessory for Sunsurge that shipped with a different toy?

At any rate I'm pretty sure nothing you're citing is as important/prominent as Grimlock's dinosaur head. Nobody was like "if he doesn't have that one thing from that one episode it's a deal breaker!" Many people consider not getting Grimlock's dino head right a deal breaker... especially since, unlike most TFs, Dinobots are just as (if not more) likely to be displayed in beast mode as robot mode.

Honestly this comment just reminds me how XTB/KFC gets absolutely killed for the same kind of QC fails that FT routinely gets passes for. My Scoria can only hold certain poses because its shoulders and hips suck. Other owners report that Soar and Forager routinely break with normal use (Soar because of poor material choices, rectified with extra parts if you buy more of their products, and Forager because of its design/engineering). Koot seems to have a molding error that makes you have to flex plastic parts around other parts like KFC. Lupus is missing basic articulation points (they really couldn't make decent shoulders?) and is off model colorwise. FT fanboys murdered Keith for making Snapdragon and Apeface silver instead of off white, but when FT did it to Wierdwolf there was a collective "meh."

I don't have brand loyalty. FT, KFC, XTB, BadCube, DX9, MMC and MakeToys have ALL made legitimate Masterpiece-quality toys. They've all also dropped some duds or "not-quite-there" toys. And of the two companies you mentioned, BadCube is notable for NOT having QC issues they expect you to fix by buying more of their toys, unlike FansToys.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe so but for the rest of us it is as an example pointed out a few minutes ago.
    What you may consider fair or unfair is subjective and you have every right to take your position. Bottom line FT simply has a far better track record for producing quality items vs XTB/KFC. There's no contest there. Even with the dino head, it solved an aesthetic issue, not a quality/functionality issue. Even with that it was at least made available to purchase as a separate item for $25 or less depending on where it is bought from. Meanwhile KFC customers are were forced to buy a whole new figure at full price, Kingzilla in order to get the correct sized gun handles for Kingorilla. On top of that those new handles now fail to peg in poorly on the sides for jet mode. So in essence one KFC issue got resolved at the price of a new figure but another issue was created as a result.

Here are 2 occurrences reported today on the KFC Stratotanker thread:
    upload_2018-1-2_12-43-30.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

IIRC, BC included that gun for the back of Sunsurge's alt mode with their Trailbreaker. Not the end of the world. That was an optional upgrade IMO, much like Grinder's dino head. Those fall into a different category for me than the Kingorilla guns or the Soar leg clips, both of which were issued to address flaws in the original.

I'd rather companies make all of these things available without having to buy a new figure but, in the cases where it's an aesthetic upgrade, I understand their approach from a business standpoint. When it's a mechanical or QC issue, though, you shouldn't have to buy a figure you may not have otherwise purchased just to get a fix for one you already bought. The way MT handled their fixes for Cupola and Ironwill (fixes were free, you just had to pay a nominal shipping fee) is the right way to do it IMO.

5. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    But to get that Sunsurge accessory customers had to buy a whole new figure, unlike FT dino head and unlike Soar's die knee clips. I have Sunsurge but have no interest in BC Trailbreaker. It wasn't until a fellow TFW member was willing to part ways with his Sunsurge rear gun accessory that I finally got one. I've got like 2 sets of FT Soar die cast knee clips that I easily requested from dalianjj of FT a while back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

I know, I was just answering the question of whether there was an accessory for SS included with a subsequent figure. My point was, while I wish everyone would make optional upgrades like that individually available, I get why not everyone does. It's more incentive for people to buy the next figure. The thing I have an issue with is when fixes for flaws are only available when you buy another figure. You shouldn't have to pick up a figure you had no intention of buying just to get your previous figure to work right.

But things like the SS canon or Grinder head are optional in my eyes. Things like the Soar clips or Ditka knees weren't optional upgrades, they were necessary fixes.

7. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    You're right about optional vs necessary fixes. The only problem with the SS canon as that it was never made available on its own so it is an "option" provided you pay full price for another figure you don't want.

8. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Right, but that's my point. That I think it's ok for companies to include optional add-ons with a different figure and not available separately. As a consumer, I wish they wouldn't. But I completely understand them doing so as it adds incentive for people to buy another figure. The only time I don't think it's an acceptable tactic is with fixes (which I think we're in agreement on).

• Like Like x 1
  9. keef

keef Cesium salami

Regardless of your stance on fixes or addons coming with other figures, that right there is a big reason for why FT is one of the best 3P companies around. I am by no means an FT fanboy, but the other big 3Ps don't have anyone as dedicated as dalianj who comes to these forums to help out with parts, answer questions, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ARSone24

ARSone24 TFEW Revo

Ebay:
    If anyone is looking for the g2 blue head. BBTS has stock. That’s where I got my X head from but that is sold out.

11. ChromeMagnus

News Credits:
    A3U, TF-express, and Ebay are basically the only options for the X head right now.

12. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Guys did u vote for grinder as toy of the year yet? I'm still a bit salty that skullface didnt ivclude him in his top 5

13. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

As good as Grinder is, he’s basically an improved rehash of a character we already have had at (almost) that scale.

Grinder is very good, but not Toy of the Year good imo.

14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Skullface's top 5 sux, and so did his worst 5....

15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Amen to that!

16. BIOMEC

Ibot do the same...

• Like Like x 2
  17. BIOMEC

Bobby is a regular human being... Don't take his personal opinion too seriously...

18. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    What were they?

19. jdbrewer

jdbrewer Knight who says "Ni".

I do disagree with Mr. Skullface about a few things regarding his "Figure of the Year" lists, however it really is just his Opinion. On my list, Grinder takes it.

20. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Well-Known Member

How's the stylized dino head in person? Would I need to get the extra g1 head?

• Like Like x 1