FansToys FT-08 Grinder (Masterpiece Grimlock)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by wildfly, Jun 4, 2015.

1. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay Flash sale. Hurry! Save $15
    On Purchases of $75+
    Shop now and save big. Use coupon code PSHOPNSAVE15.
    Don't wait! This exclusive offer ends today (9/30/17) at 6PM PT/9PM EST.

2. Smiley424

Smiley424 Member

I meant to pick up Grinder using the latest eBay coupon code, but the code expired. I still ended up ordering the original release Grinder and had for a good price. The last picture of Grinder-X though, that bling-bling! I fear I will be tracking the rest of the Iron Dibots soon.

3. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Stomp is a wonderful figure, as is Sever. Soar's good, but not as great as these two. I personally don't think Cesium or Scoria have anything that make them better or worse than one another - they're better at some things yet not as good in others, so it's a matter of taste.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DBarricade

So. Now I have Grinder in hand. I guess I'll share some thoughts.

- The leg to tail transformation is far less troublesome than I thought it'd be. Just turn below the knee to ensure the inner leg panels can collapse properly.
    - The body shells could have been thought out better. There's really no good way to avoid the bottom edges from dragging over the top of his gold chrome chest and likely will scratch it in time. There are those tabs in the back, though... has anyone tried trimming the bottom part of them to better let the wings angle in?
    - I surprisingly dig the stock dinosaur head. It feels a little more fearsome than Grimlock's usual noggin. I would have liked it to at least tab in place on his back during robot mode like MP Grimlock's can. Just something to assure that it's where it needs to be.
    - I really don't care for those dino hands. They pop off way too easily for my liking, and I'm scared to try pushing them on much harder as I'd rather not have to contact dalianjj for replacement dino arms. I'll try some Pledge to see if that helps any.

Overall, I quite like this guy. I'll definitely be installing the new face for Soar, and likely the new head for Sever. Maybe the new silver mouth for Scoria if I feel bothered.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least we can now say the Grinders X v2 dino head drops this month.

6. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    I had forgotten the pointless jaw ratchet until I started tinkering to the G2 version this weekend.

Goodness, ratchets... we must put them everywhere!

7. DBarricade

Swapped out Soar's face and Sever's head. Soar simply did not want to give me his old face at first, but I managed to work it off the peg it rotates around and then filed the peg slightly to also help the new face go on. Vast improvement here, and I actually like the new smiling face now! Sever's was much easier, though I noticed the chrome eyes match Grinder's in color instead of his old ones. No matter. What is worth noting is that the old and new eyes are differently shaped, so no red eyes for the new face as the old eyes included with Sever won't work with the new face. (though you can use the old faces with the new head if you want) I'm leaving Soar's clips alone since one of the hinges is already cracked and I'd rather not chance it while the plastic clips still function.

I dig that Grinder's crown is a big chunk of gold chromed diecast metal, but I'm a touch disappointed that it doesn't hold on to his noggin as well as Masterpiece Grimlock's crown does. Granted, just sitting on his head is all it really needs to do, and it doesn't feel like it'll fall off if he's flipped upside-down, but still. I may also apply a bit of Pledge to his neck ball joint, as it's perhaps a touch looser than I'd like. Eh, I'll leave it be for now and see how much it bothers me.

8. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

9. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

Yeah, the no red eyes on the new faces makes it not so appealing for me. Now i did try them out, but personally, only Sever would have been the one i would have really liked to keep using new head (with red eyes). For Scoria, i prefer the old one. For Soar, personally, i prefer the larger eyes of the old one. They are both fine though, but the smiling face of the old one is a bit more goofy, and i like that goofinesh. But sure with they had red eye options for Soar and Sever.

That said, i got them now in Dino mode, and it will be like that for a while with my newborn, and am fine with the faces i have, just too bad didnt get much use out of them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Hey, congrats man!

• Like Like x 1
  11. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Thanks bro, feels good going home at night and seing my son and holding him.

12. tadhgoc

tadhgoc Well-Known Member

:( I love my Grinder, apart from his fingers, unlike all my other Dibots, that are good and stuff his are quite weak/loose so he only just holds his rifle or sword. Any movement at all knocks them out of his grasp.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I added some floor polish to the weapon tabs. You need to add a decent amount to give the handles some tooth. It also doesn't hurt to add some to the hand slots. The hand-to-weapon fit is pretty bad for these figures. It seems they only got it right with Cesium.

14. Ap0calypse

Ap0calypse Active Member

Got my Grinder head today from Ebay's wuhanlipu. Arrived well before the due date, and excellently packaged. Would definitely recommend!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Good to know as I ordered from him as well. :D 

16. DBarricade

Mine holds the sword well enough, but not so much the gun. The fingers are tight enough to more than make up for it on mine, though.
    Well yeah, I suppose that'd suck for those wanting that toy accurate look. (along with the lack of red diecast clips for Soar) Still, these don't affect Grinder himself, and shouldn't be what makes or breaks him for someone. He's a lot more solid than Masterpiece Grimlock, though that might have more to do with the fact mine is the TRU MP-3 version Hasbro released around Age of Extinction and the mold is showing its age and wear.

I'm kind of curious now as to which of the Iron Dibots is the heaviest. I think Stomp carries that crown.

17. Satomiblood

I own the G1 and G2 versions of Grinder. Purchased them 6 months apart from different retailers and tabbing both weapons is an issue out of the box. I'm looking to pick up a Diaclone version at some point and wouldn't be surprised if both weapons were incapable of tabbing in securely as well.

[By the way, if anyone has a Diaclone version they're looking to unload, please get in touch with me.]

18. DBarricade

Mileage will definitely vary, obviously.

19. Satomiblood

It seems that before they figured out the appropriate weapon tolerances with Cesium, they started out as too tight (particularly, the chrome sword handles for Scoria -> Stomp). And then they were too loose for Grinder. You can get them to handle their weapons via friction. Thankfully, the fingers are long and wide enough to curl around the handles. With Grinder, though, he needs a few coats of Future to get it right.

20. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    soon, he'll be playing with the dibots.